What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

So it was a typo. I was told 姑娘果, but actually it’s supposed to be 菇娘果 (can’t find a good translation). I was getting away with it because both are pronounced exactly the same.

Both flavor combinations sound good! Were they different varieties or at different levels of ripeness perhaps?

I’m really enjoying your photos’s and reports! Thanks.

When HO gets aroma-vision and taste-a-screen technology my life will be complete! :yum:

3 Likes

We practically OD’d on foccacia in Lucca this summer, as it’s apparently a local specialty. Lots of different foccacie like turmeric, onion, cheese & salami…

2 Likes

Sadly, the yam nuah was lame. Not sure what went wrong, but the flavors (save for the heat from the Thai bird chiles) were muted. The Thai basil is not very flavorful. Meh.

I think I would’ve liked dinner better had it been just the big slab o’grilled meat and COTC on the side.

Lovely BLTs yesterday before a poker game we hosted. Have an out-of-town gig tonight, so I’ll peruse the free band food… unfortunately, most of the brewpub’s food is underwhelming, but they have some nice ghost pepper wings I might just have to have.

7 Likes

Last night I used a jarred Aldi sauce to make shrimp korma with vegetables over cauliflower rice. It was inedible - way too sweet, sour, and the shrimp were smaller than I usually buy and overdone. We dumped it and went for wings.

7 Likes

The “dressing” has garlic, sugar, chillies, fish sauce and lime juice. Maybe you used too much of something?

1 Like

My gosh, between all of the fantastic pickled things and the fresh tofu I would be beside myself!!

2 Likes

Had to scroll very far up… nice meals, everyone!

It’s been hot every day for a while now, not much appetite and inclination to cook. My grass is yellow and brown but I still have to water some other plants. It’s hot again tomorrow, just hope it won’t be like this until September.

Photos of a couple of meals I managed to photographs.

Buckwheat noodles with fried tofu puffs and mixed raw vegs.

Blitz chickpeas in the food processor, add some beetroot and it’s done. Smoked fish is indispensable on hot days.

Tempeh and Sichuan preserved radish.

Just made 2 new batches of chilli pastes. These are 2 different kinds of chillies.

9 Likes

Auughhh, that’s frustrating! If you haven’t tried those maya kaimal sauces they make some that are quite good, the market near me has them on sale once in a while- the coconut one is my favorite but i have to cut it with regular coconut milk cuz it’s pretty spicy
https://www.mayakaimal.com

2 Likes

Market Basket petite sirloin on special this week. Off the cob local corn with our backyard grape tomatoes, butter S&P. Wine and some Ben and Jerry’s peanut butter cookie core ice cream. Don’t know what they mean by “core” but will find out.

8 Likes

Nope. I just used a 3 qt. saucepan with about 2" of oil. My Thermapen helps me keep the temps at the appropriate level. I’m aware that the smaller amount of oil drops in temp as I add in half of the potatoes, so I give it about 30-60 seconds more than is recommended for double-frying on the first go-round to let it come back up to temp. For the second fry, I just keep an eye on the color, and turn occasionally to get them fried on all sides

7 Likes

Those wings looks AMAZING!

1 Like

Ohhhh shoot. I missed that sale at MB (not of a mind to get into “public clothes” to go out and pick some up. And I’m thinking the center of the pint of ice cream has a core of peanut butter cookie dough? Will be interested to hear how it is!

1 Like

Looks fab! So summery.

Tonight friends invited us for tacos. I made pintos and Mexican rice. She made handmade tortillas. All good.

5 Likes

Mini-vacay for the rest of the week…
Slept in.
Ahhhhh…
Lots and lots and lots of errands.

Lots of pictures:

Dinner was Greek-marinated chicken thighs (oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, freshly minced oregano, rosemary and thyme, lemon zest, s/p) and roasted in the oven, along with tomato, cuke, red onion, and mini-mozz salad and tiny basil leaves with a balsamic vinegar and oil dressing.

The libation was my version of the Sunsplash Sangria I had at a restaurant on Monday evening. Orange vodka, St. Germain, lemon juice, mango juice, and club soda. Not too shabby!

Some strawberry shortcake for dessert with homemade shortcake biscuits. (Biscuits made for Mom’s 88th birthday tomorrow, but I made extra for myself. LOL)

Finally, some of the tomatoes that I’ve managed to grow. I thought this was supposed to be the “large tomato” plant, but I guess not. LOL

18 Likes

Enjoy mini vacay! Totally impressive strawberry shortcake - happy birthday to your mom :smile:

3 Likes

Nice enough for some biking today! Unfortunately said bike ride was to the dentist which should have been the last appointment in the epic saga project but they have to see me one more time. Ugh.
Mouth was really tender (more from the dumb shots than what they did) so went with my favorite smoothie.
Blueberries, lots of baby spinach, a gob of almond butter, almond milk, ice cubes. Really thick so you need a spoon. The half of the blueberry box that didn’t go in the blender went in my mouth! Good ones.
It’s a lovely shade of murky mud so no photo

2 Likes

No garlic or sugar. Just good amounts of lime juice, fish sauce, and chopped peppers.

1 Like

Leftover tenderloin with black beans, rice and kohlrabi greens

7 Likes