What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

I’ve sprinkled TJ Everything on my watermelon and cantelope. Better with watermelon. Not good on cantelope.

1 Like

Mini samosas. We call them samosian, although that could be a made up word. Made with store bought spring roll wrappers, one day I’ll make my own. It takes forever to seal them properly so oil doesn’t seep in. Shaping as spring rolls is much easier. The filling was made with shredded chicken from the chicken necks used to flavor that yellow split pea soup a few days ago.

11 Likes

Well deserved, Linda. Enjoy!

Tyrolean potato goulash. So nice! I got 2 more Austrian cookery books even though I said I would not buy any more cookery books.

Marjoram in my garden is thriving again these days.

It was a wonderfully warm Pentecost long weekend after a week of low temperatures. SV “smoked” salmon (based on this recipe). My liquid smoke and Riesling caramel marinade is deep and dark, it changed the colour of the fish.

Just a nice crunchy salad. First time drinking rosé wine in perhaps 15 years. I hate most rosé wines. They are often sweet and have an unpleasant aftertaste. Prefer it dry and not sweet, which France and Spain have some good ones. This one is Spanish.

Smoke without fire. Nice for warm summer days. Will make again. Next time I want to try making mi-cuit.

10 Likes

Spent the day doing what I wanted to do in a leisurely fashion vs. trying to cram it in to the weekend days. I ended up getting texted by two of my coworkers about stuff they needed help with, and spent an hour at the end of the (non)workday dealing with Emails, but it was still a VGD. (Very Good Day)

Dinner was a semi-throw-together based on some shrimp I got from Wegmans today. Some green leaf lettuce in the fridge to use up was added to some of my romaine and butter lettuce that has been growing like gangbusters as the base; shrimp was sauteed in Meyer Lemon oil and butter with a smidge of lemon juice added at the end, and then chilled.

Some thin asparagus (not yet local) was cooked and immediately chilled as well. Sliced cuke and red bell peppers. Everything layered on top of the lettuces, some lemon-tarragon vinaigrette drizzled over top, then a few of my homegrown watercress leaves, and finally a smidge of Parm-Reg cheese sprinkled on top.

There’s also wine. And there will be be some Giffords Caramel Cookie Crunch ice cream momentarily.

Oh yes - part of the VGD was winning $500 on a scratch ticket.

Yep. It was a VVVGD. :+1:
2018-05-21-ComposedSalad-ShrimpAsparagusCukeRedBellPepperWatercress%26LemonTarragonVinaigrette2

13 Likes

Fried a whole bunch of pakorian, known more commonly as boondi. With them, we made a type of chaat, which we also call pakorian or dahi phulkian. It has yogurt, boiled potato, tomato, salted sliced onion, green chiles, cilantro, and chaat masala. Served with tamarind chutney (not shown).

6 Likes

You’re growing butter lettuce?? My gosh i love that stuff…
Congrats on the scratch off winner!! Very Good Day indeed.

2 Likes

Sous-vide duck confit leg again, this time cooked at 80C for 12 hours. Very similar to the 36 hour at 68C duck legs I tried a few days ago, but a bit less tender and not as falling apart. Still very good though.

9 Likes

LOL, I can easily buy duck confit here that I have never thought of making it at home.

1 Like

Sunday it was very sunny so an old favourite , linguine with crab, roasted tomato and chilli.

Yesterday was cod curry with tomatoes and green peppers.

Today I had an interview near New Malden ( SW London) ,which has 20 Korean restaurants and a number of supermarkets. I took the opportunity for lunch and a spot of shopping. I made brown rice with radish leaf kimchi stirred through. Topped with pork and chive meatballs ( I added a glaze of osyter sauce, lime, fish sauce and honey), topped with a fried egg.

13 Likes

Only from starter plants! I’m a total failure growing salad makings from seed.

1 Like

It was an inside day doing inside things and waiting for the HVAC system checkup. Then some online research for remodeling the half bath. I might be zeroing in on the items I want.

Dinner was Chicken-Asparagus Parmigiana and garlic bread. Sauce was some roasted crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh minced basil, dried oregano, minced garlic, minced shallot, Aleppo pepper, and Parm-Reg cheese. I used slices of provolone cheese. It was good - although I need to season the panko crumbs with more salt/pepper.

Yep - there was wine, even though it’s only Tuesday. I’m on vacay. Screw the Tuesdaynish of the day.

2018-05-22-ChickenAsparagusParmigiana%26GarlicBread4

10 Likes

I’m still enjoying the enchilada and corn/bean salad! I had included some diced sauteed squash in the filling. I bought it at a Hispanic market near my home. It was labeled Mexican Squash (name not provenance). Looks like a pudgy, short, pale zucchini. The blossom end is bigger than the stem end. Tried a piece raw. It has more flavor than zucchini or summer squash - almost a little kick. Cooking it increased the kick a bit. Milder than a green bell pepper but with a glimmer of that flavor. This opens up some new uses!

Caught a window of dryness close to dusk so was able to take a walk. Saw my first firefly’s of the season! I still believe they are magical. Had a few brief chats with folks gardening or walking. Everyone was giving copperhead updates. Saw one dead in the gutter. Looked like someone removed the head. Which is good in case kids or dogs find it. Ugh. I hate copperhead season.

Had a craving for salt once back home. So pan fried a mess of okra, getting a little char going. Sprinkled with kosher salt. Snacked on that with a TJ’s sparkling apple cider on the deck while watching the firefly show.

5 Likes

Simple chicken tacos - didn’t want to sauce up the Zuni chicken leftovers, so just reheated and served with onion, cilantro, jalapeno, queso fresco, avocado slices, and hot sauces (Tapatio, Cholulu & El Yucateco) at the table. BF made delish mexi-rice, and some awful canned refried-with-chorizo-beans - all for him - i ate two servings of rice instead.

8 Likes

Made some shells in vodka cream tomato sauce with shallots, and a salad.

10 Likes

My market labels those squash as “grey spanish squash” which is an odd name, they do look a lot like zucchini just not as green.
Fireflies are magical!

1 Like

I had some good soft tofu on hand and used a big chunk to made the lazy easy japanese style chilled tofu with soy sauce some grated ginger, scallions and a little sesame oil. Side of sugar snap peas, cucumbers and bell pepper with furikake. Then more of that watermelon with a little Everything and kombucha a la carte.

1 Like

Umm… i kill succulents. Keeping anything alive much less growing enough to eat it is really impressive- regardless of how it started!

This is what mine looked like. The description indicates white flesh but in reality it was yellowish like in the photo. Same as your grey squash? Does it usually have a kick or was this just an anomaly?

Made trifle today. I was inspired by the financier thread: Financiers - ideas for desserts?

Layers from bottom to top: custard, financer pieces, fresh raspberries, strawberry gelatin, whipped cream, toasted almonds. The homemade strawberry “jello” didn’t set properly, so I called it strawberry ganache.

12 Likes

that is the PERFECT fried egg! swooning…

1 Like