What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

More food from the last of this and that. It has to happen once in a while. It was so dark by the time I finished cooking. I have brightened the photos considerably. If you look at the left side of the first photo you can see a strong blue tinge, that’s the shadow of the potatoes in insufficient light.

Warm and cold together is today’s dinner. Cod wrapped in Tyrolean Speck. Sauce is minced parsley, capers, a whole little jar of Spanish anchovies, Spanish olive oil and of course, garlic.

Just good old smoked herring. Boiled potatoes with herby quark (or cream), a very typical spring food in Germany. Though, it’s more common to dip small potatoes in the quark/cream. I like both ways.

5 Likes

That’s where you win, lol. A friend and I tried stuffing sausage into casings once, we even bought a special attachment for the KitchenAid. It was a disaster. Yours are beautiful!

Thanks! I have the KitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment too and agree that it doesn’t do stuffing very well. I picked up a sausage stuffer recently:

which was a bit of a splurge but it works a lot better. Still a bit difficult though to work with sheep casings - as opposed to the larger pork casings - since they are so much thinner.

4 Likes

I had the same experience - KitchenAid attachment useless, so I bought the LEM stuffer. It works great and was well worth the cost!

2 Likes

It was a gorgeous day here today - clear and mild. Called for a nice light dinner, so I seared salmon filets and served them with roasted cherry tomatoes, plus a side salad of shaved fennel, yellow peppers, mint and cilantro. The dressing (more mint and cilantro blitzed in the blender with mayonnaise, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and fennel pollen) kind of ran into the tomatoes and created a sauce for the salmon. Excellent with a crisp Provence rosé.

6 Likes

Dinner was Knackwurst with mustard, asparagus and mashed potato, the highlight was the dessert - Apfelstrudel, my first Apple Strudel!

The tricky part was to make very thin stretched sheets to wrap around other ingredients. A lot of holes if you saw my “sheet” I turned the strudel upside down before putting it in oven.

I have used this recipe:

It is an OK recipe, a note that there were too much apples. 4 was enough.

On the whole it was good, not too sweet, because I used Granny Smith. My Apfelstrudel was not good looking, but didn’t affect the taste. Maybe the apples were a bit too mushy, so I should have sliced them thicker.

9 Likes

That so impressive! I do not know anyone that has ever made a strudel from scratch, other than professionals. I thought it was a two person job?

That’s why mine had so many holes, I need to improve the stretching part.

A mostly easy day.

Dinner was definitely easy - leftover roasted chicken sliced thin and tucked into a Chicken & Provolone Panino with some of my romaine lettuce and Utz potato chips alongside. There was wine.

Because tomorrow starts Billing Hell. Oh well.

3 Likes

Spring and autumn.

Wow, inspirational! It makes me feel like I can attempt it, too. I always skip the strudel recipes thinking it’s way too hard.

It was a dessert day for me, too. Made sticky rice by pressure steaming following this guide: http://chezbettay.com/pages/basics1/basics_how_to_cook_Thai_Sticky_Rice.html

I kept checking at 4 minute intervals, but it took me a total of 23 minutes under pressure (natural release) even though I had soaked for 12 hours. It usually takes me an hour with regular steaming. Also the parchment probably slowed down the process. I use cheesecloth with regular steaming. The author of that guide uses a 9 PSI cooker and it only took her 4 minutes with quick release. Maybe she had super new crop rice. Anyway, the end result was great and now I don’t have to flip the rice or spray with a water bottle like I usually do. Made mango stiky rice with it. I picked up mung bean for garnishing later in the day, but the bamboo/coconut aroma was too much for the kid to wait, so I made this one right after school with sesame seeds instead.

Also, I have been making the components of one of my dessert creations for a few days now. I make it during peak strawberry season and call it “Strawberry Field.” It’s vanilla ice cream, strawberry granita, and strawberry gelatin, sandwiched between two layers of fried rosemary puff pastry, sitting on a bed of fresh strawberries, topped with sliced almonds. The previous plates looked better. I have to plate and serve fast because of all the different temperatures and textures.

6 Likes

That looks great! I bet you have to serve that fast!

Sooo, yeah. Definitely actually really sick. UGH. Some crud living in my chest that i suspect is bronchitis.
Really hard core hippie shit going down over here- made a quick version of fire cider using my juicer and have been doing shots of that (which might kill me first). Last night was a big super green smoothie with half of the produce section, parsley, ginger, garlic, hemp seeds, lemon, pepper, salt, and a little spoon of coconut oil which made it creamy.
Lots of green juices today, went with miso soup with soft tofu and a few handfuls of cooked frozen brown rice. Buckets of throat coat tea happening.
At least it’s rainy and gross here, somehow that helps.

Ribs , cheesy beans, sauteed vegtables , pickled cabbage . Wine to drink .CHEERS :wine_glass:

4 Likes

I have planned to make it 2 weeks ago but keep on procrastinating… I saw a few youtube tutorial videos that helped to assure. Many recipes suggest using filo pastry or puff pastry, but it would not be the same.

I will be more fun if 2 persons, the dough part can be a bit long and tedious, I will suggest a table the size of the stretched dough, you can fold the corners.

Wow - that’s impressive! My Hungarian Jewish grandmother made strudel often, and stretched the dough on her dining room table. She never allowed anyone to help, so I have no idea what was involved. I think the ash from her dangling cigarette may have had something to do with it…

6 Likes

Minus the cigarette ashes, mine didn’t smoke

Hope you’re able to burn it out of you.

1 Like

New thread started here:

Yuck! Feel better soon!