What's for Dinner #32 - the Spring Has Finally Sprung! Edition - April '18

You had me at nasty weed!

2 Likes

Last night i decided to try this new to me recipe, mostly because i had about everything on hand. I just did a half recipe but reduced the amount of soy sauce more than that because it seemed too much even for me. It was super easy and fast- especially since i had that extra firm tofu that doesn’t need to be pressed. I added the hot tofu to a big bowl of baby spinach for some greens. Kombucha a la carte.

I needed to run an errand on the upper east side and absolutely intentionally parked my citibike near the pizza place with my most favoritest garlic knots :slight_smile: they also had a new to me mini sundried tomato basil garlic bun slider (they always had a chicken parm and one with mozz before) so obviously i had one of those as a snack on the spot. Tasty but pales in comparison to the garlic knots.
Dinner was a few reheated garlic knots dipped in marinara- no vampires here tonight! Salad of whatever i had on hand, which included a lot of celery that i sliced up on the mandolin. Kombucha a la carteimage

8 Likes

SV duck legs.

I had planned to use chard but beetroot tops needed to be used up first. Beetroots are a veg I almost always have in the house year round. Just love this stuff to bits.

7 Likes

Well, that was a hella week. And it was only 3 work days long. Next week ought to be even more fun as I enter Monthly Billing Hell. Yay, me!

So - there was wine. Prior to dinner. Damn straight there was.

Dinner was b/s chicken thighs seasoned with s/p and minced fresh thyme, then pan-seared in hot butter and olive oil. Some defrosted caramelized onions were added into the butter/oil, then some white wine was added and reduced, then some heavy cream, and then the chicken was added back in to finish cooking.

Leftover basmati rice, and steamed green beans alongside.

And more wine. And ice cream to boot.

8 Likes

Pakistani Fried Chicken. This style used to be more popular until KFC invaded. Served with rice and cachumber (salsa). Tamarind and mint chutneys not shown.

9 Likes

Dinner tonight was determined by 2 purchases - one intentional and the other unintentional. The unintentional issue became apparent when I discovered 2 partial sleeves of celery in the fridge as I was tucking away my new 3rd sleeve… My memory obviously hadn’t accompanied the rest of my body to the grocery.

The intentional purchase was a pack of 3 semi-air dried sausages by a regional sausage maker. These are an old style Southern sausage* which has become quite hard to find. So I grabbed the lone package like lightening!

Tonight I cooked up half a white onion and 3 ribs of celery in olive oil. Once the onion was beginning to get some color and the celery a tad softened one link of semi-dry (coarsely chopped) was added to the pot. Gave a stir and increased the heat while a can of white beans were opened and rinsed. Beans added and stirred. Nuked a cup of water and whisked in a little roast chicken Better Than Bullion. Poured the liquid in the pot, added a dried red pepper blend and thyme, brought to a slow simmer and put a lid on it. Half and hour later stirred in the chopped celery leaves. After another half hour had an amazingly rich bowl of beans! That sausage has just enough funk to really make the whole thing special.

Fortunately I have 2 more links of the sausage! And 2 1/2 sleeves of celery…:roll_eyes:

*Here is a little more info about this style of sausage (my find was a different brand). The author is a historian who used to write about regional foods for this state blog. His writing led me to a great many good meals and helped me get to know the state I relocated to in ways a transplant usually can’t.

11 Likes

Bonus celery!! Haha, i do that kind of thing with alarming frequency…! (Giving the five cans of tomato paste the side eye right now)
But now you can make waldorf salad! And the crazy delicious kombu celery i’ve posted about all too frequently :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you! I remembered you had a celery recipe and had a note to track down the post. (crossing it off my to-do list) Now just 2 sleeves of celery to go!

Last night was out with a friend at my favorite wine bar Terroir- my only complaint about the place is that happy hour ends at 6pm! Total hooey. They of course serve small plates meant to share, we did share the crispy cauliflower and moroccan popcorn, i had the brussel sprouts and cashews thing and she had their version of pork bao. Good food, great wine, excellent company.

Gorgeous day so i went bike riding and went to the mexican market to buy tomatillos and some good corn tortillas but found a big bag of tomatoes on produce clearance that still looked great!
Stopped for tofu at whole foods and found guochujang ketchup!

Decided to use the tomatoes, tofu, guochujang ketchup and corn tortillas for dinner- i made a bunch of the shashuka sauce from Ottolenghi, swapped in the ketchup for the harissa since i’m wimpy (it’s really tasty and definitely has enough of a kick for me), then i just took a portion of the cooked sauce and poached some silken tofu in it. Topepd my bowl with cilantro and scallions. Scooped it up with the corn tortillas. Photo of it cooking away, took a while since there was a lot of liquid in the tomatoes. Kombucha a la carte

8 Likes

Steelhead with a fennel and orange salad

10 Likes

Asparagus and onion frittata . Garnished with a tiny bit of cilantro and slices if avocado. Dollop of sour cream . I was planning on making Rick Bayless recipe for fish tacos. Oh well, tomorrow maybe. Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers

7 Likes

dinner tonight is a quick seafood sausage cataplana
using my wok, I caramelized a medium onion, cooked the rest of the sofrito ( carrots, celery, sweet pepper, tomatoes) added a pinch of smoked spanish paprika,) placed them in the cataplana, layered raw flowered squid, then back to the wok, I browned 2 andouille sausages, shrimp , anchovy, with chipotle adobo sauce, some preroasted garlic in olive oil,

added the mixture to the cataplana, then added water to the roasted shrimp shell ( plus shrimp broth ,from 2 days ago, same technique), added a pinch of saffron, to the broth , cooked in the cataplana medium heat 7 minutes, served with juice of a lemon and cheese jalapeño bread from Wegmans.
There are squid flowers but hidden the shrimp and andouile sausages.
Nice dinner ( perhaps lunch also as there ar left overs)

12 Likes

All the chicken in the chicken tikka masala was gone, but lots of sauce still leftover. I pan fried some tofu on two sides to give the tofu some texture and threw it in there. Tofu Tikka Masala.

4 Likes

I’m not sure the weather in London has quite decided it’s spring yet. Dinner two nights ago was a bit of a hybrid. Poached salmon is quite summery, while roasted beetroot and butternut squash seems quite wintery. Some steamed kale as well and creme fraiche with a little horseradish added.

When I roasted the butternut squash I cut it in half length ways before dicing. I used the remaining half last night. I scooped out the seeds and then roasted in the skin after seasoning with salt and pepper and also a little olive oil. Before that I had freid off some beef mince with onions and celery. Then I added some dried porcini that had been soaked and rosemary. After a while I added tomato puree and the mushroom soaking water. Once the butternut squash had roasted I scooped out the skin (leaving a little border of flesh) and mashed the butternut squash. I put the mince mix into the butternut squash skin, topped with the mashed butternut squash and then put grated cheese on top and back in the oven for 10 mins. Sort of a cottage pie but served in the butternut squash. Peas as a side dish.

7 Likes

We had a week of high temperatures and a week of the opposite. Long weekend was wet, dark and windy. More like early autumn. I think dinner matches the weather.

6 Likes

Pot roast is a decidedly winterish meal, but today was chilly and rainy enough to warrant a winterish comfort food meal, so I went with a red wine, garlic & tamarind pot roast, with buttered potatoes and carrots.

Seasoned a boneless chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper and it was browned in hot oil, adding in a handful of peeled whole garlic cloves, then some beef stock. Then a combination of red wine, honey, grated fresh ginger, and tamarind concentrate was poured over all, and it simmered away on the flame tamer for about 2-1/2 hours, turning the chuck roast several times during cooking. Added a flour slurry to the reduced sauce for a gravy.

Steamed tri-colored potatoes with carrots, then seasoned with s/p and a shit-ton of butter. Definitely wine.

7 Likes

no lunch today, busy busy busy
pulled 30 gallons of weed
came i for a short coffee break , with biscotti a nd that was lunch!
For dinner, too tired to cook so just cooked some bok choy with evoo, garlic, soy sauce, red cracked pepper, fresh ground pepper, and a dash of Pinoy Datu Puti coconut vinegar.
Pan seared Costco’s marinated wild M

orey salmon,
For starch, I soften 3 small packages of cellophane noodle with hot water, took out the fish and added some garlic, and EVOO, dd the noodles and the marinade from the fish. Too tired to even add spring onions but just threw in a bunch of fried dehydrated shallot, add fish sauce , sesame oil and topped with spicy chili crisp per suggestion of shrinkrap . a glass of red wine , Inicidentally, the noodle was very good, so I had a second h helping! and now, am hitting the sack after I brush the pom’s teeth. They really smell fishy even before I gave them the crispy salmon skin’. They were out with me and must have found a dead fish or fish head!
THANKS SHRINKRAP, JSUT LEARNED SOMETHING NEW FROM YOU

9 Likes

Dinner was the other half of my bagel sandwich from absolute bagels i got earlier today. Yes it’s worth standing in line outside for 15min (unless it’s raining). Picked up a few for my freezer too.

Everything bagel with olive tofutti, tomato, lettuce, onion and dill pickle slices. Side plate of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper sprinkled with everything seasoning. Kombucha a la carte.

I found a packet of justin’s dark chocolate almond butter cups in my cupboard so i’ll probably have one with my tea while reading in bed later.

6 Likes

I think that I got this rec. from a suggestion here.

3 Likes

That looks like something I’d like a lot - sweet, salty with crunch! Thank you.

2 Likes