What's for Dinner #32 - the Spring Has Finally Sprung! Edition - April '18

We forgot to take a picture…grilled cod with roast potatoes and asparagus.
My sister had sent a packet of basil and rosemary salt which we spread on the fish with butter. Salt, pepper, OO and lemon on the veggies. A nice Sunday dinner.
It almost feels like spring here in the Northeast! Oh and wine, red for me,
Rose for my husband.

6 Likes

I needed to make meat sauce to feed the freezer, and had a craving for lasagna, so both were made.

I still don’t make a great lasagna - I always add too much sauce and too much ricotta, so it was saucier that it should be. But it was still good.

A small salad, a crusty buttered roll, and a glass of wine alongside.

10 Likes

I did not realize too much sauce and too much ricotta was a problem.

4 Likes

I saw this asparagus salad recipe the other day and something about it sounded really appealing. Well, except that when i looked closely there’s eggs (no thanks), parmesan, the asparagus is raw and there’s mint involved (i only like mint in my toothpaste or after dinner mints). Soooo… i made something that was kinda similar but really not.
Blanched the asparagus, used the walnuts and lemon zest, swapped in basil, used some medium tofu i pressed and tossed with the lemon juice and olive oil. Used less oil overall too.
The whole situation ended up on a few whole grain crisp breads from trader joe’s. Seriously messy to eat! I had the extra filling on the side, the asparagus/lemon/walnut/basil combo is fantastic.

And i was very wrong, new kombucha batch is very ready- bubbled over the bottle!!

7 Likes

Quick but tasty spring dinner using the ramps I found at the grocery store - spring is truly here! Seared salmon with broccoli and ramps in lemon cream. The salmon was remarkably good for grocery store fish and the skin crisped beautifully.

8 Likes

Finally pleasant bike weather it is awesome - Saturday was a ride out to a craft brew festival in Haddon Heights NJ a stop a fabulous Moore Brothers https://store.moorebrothers.com/ on the way and BYOB Italian http://www.villabaronesite.com/ on the way home for mussels and brick oven pizza. Love the springtime.

5 Likes

The last of a pork roast made pork fried rice tonight this week will be tricky trying to use things up and not make more leftovers Friday I’m off to drive Dad’s moving truck to Orlando.

9 Likes

My fish was glad it swam 3 times today: in water, in Speck-butter and in wine.

Gratuitous photo of duck family crossing. One wants to go the other way but mum comes over and gives it a little nudge.

9 Likes

Last night was just a big salad of everything, bits from the fridge that included some iceburg, shredded carrot, half a red bell pepper, some chopped cucumber, the rest of the cilantro, the last handful of edamame, some crumpled toasted nori snacks, and who knows what else. Hemp seeds i think. Quick miso tahini lemon juice dressing. More super bubbly kombucha a la carte! (Learned my lesson and opened it over the sink)

Today i found a new to me cider sold individually, so obviously i had to try it! Lovely, not too sweet, not too dry.

Then i stopped at the corner fruit and veg guy to buy ginger (his is crazy fresh and young! Cheaper and better than my dumb grocery store) and he had perfectly ripe small avocados! And that was that.
Photo is before they became guacamole, just added some lime juice, salt, a spoon of salsa, and cilantro. Scooped it up with some jicama, cucumber, bell pepper and some pretzel crisps. More bubbly kombucha a la carte.

9 Likes

Doesn’t look like anything but it tastes good. The rest of the goat’s legs braised in a stock after deglazing the pan. A few things added to it were garlic, Speck, shallots, rosemary and stock of goat’s bones which I saved. You can’t even see the liquid underneath it all.

Mostly bones, really. But they give taste to the stock.

9 Likes

20180425_182348

Fried fish dinner. Bread for sandwiches. Fried potatoes. Mac & cheese.

5 Likes

Tonight it was pastitsio from the local market. And wine.

4 Likes

Some pics of foods from earlier this month, starting with sweets…

Matzo Brittle

At Songkran (Thai New Year’s Festival), we got this coconut custard cooked inside of a pumpkin. There were no English speakers at this table, but from the texture I’d say the whole thing was steamed. It started off very odd, but a few spoons into it and we were hooked.

Made pilau recently, which for us means rice cooked in spiced meat broth. I have no idea why we like to eat it with chicken nuggets. The two don’t go together at all.

9 Likes

I like the clear plastic for the counter top. Genius

Dinner tonight is wild boar italian stewnusing D’artagnan’s recipe I modified it a bit as I did not have fennel.
So, for the 1.6 lb of wild boar mini roast, I sliced it into one inch size and then again into very small pieces, sprinkled about 2 tablespoon of Savory Spice’s Cantanzaro Herbs ( garlic, lemon peel, marjoram, basil, mediterranean thyme, rosemary and oregano.) One medium red onion was caramelized with EVOO, then added a carrot, celery, precooked garlic in EVOO , then added the meat and some butter till the meat changed color, 2 cups of red wine, simmered until the wine almost evaporated. Added 2 cups of chicken broth, a can of tomato, 2 tablespoon of tomato paste, 1 tsp of thyme, sage and simmered it for another 2.5 hours till the ragout coated a spoon… I then added 2 tsp of fennel pollen, glug of light cream , simmered a bit more.
This was served with pasta and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

10 Likes

I was feeling the need for some American comfort food last night, so I made a patty melt - two thin patties, lots of swiss and cheddar cheese and caramelized onions. Didn’t have any rye bread and was too lazy to go to the store, so I toasted up some whole wheat (thin coating of mayo on both sides, then into a hot pan). Hit the spot!

8 Likes

I fancied up leftover pizza with things I found in the refrigerator.

9 Likes

It’s nice to have an interesting refrigerator!

3 Likes

Made a big pot of soup with bones from the goat’s legs. There’s a lot of marrow and hidden meat which contributed to the taste of the broth. I added more Speck, a garlicky sausage (sliced), purple carrots, leftover potatoes, amaranth etc. Whilst the soup tasted rich and delicious it was hideous in its appearance! I didn’t know purple carrots would stain and destroy the look of something so bad. It’s a super deep purple, almost black kind of purple.

My hands are still a little stained since yesterday from handling the carrots. Curiously, my mouth/tongue isn’t purple.

It’s a long weekend here starting tomorrow. Everything will be closed but I have duck legs and chard.

2 Likes

today, again days of trying to eradicate one nasty weed that started 2015. scleranthus annulus aka german moss. We have one here and there sprouted up thru the years, not much, but in 2015, a newly married Dutch couple, one a photographer, the other a children’s book author came to visit for a week. When I tried to pull one of these weeds, they told me I should not, that it si very pretty . They are sued in Finland apparently on their trails.
Well, stupidly, I listened to their advise. Within a month, it invaded my northern garden. It was no longer easy to pull when it matured as the tap root was deep and each was loaded with hundred of flowers which when pulled spread everywhere. i spent 2 weeks pulling, then, hired a crew for another her 2 weeks. Ext service advised me to spray but that was not an option etc of my poms as well as adjacent bulbs buses etc.

Those seeds have come to haunt me yearly since then. I wander how many years they stay quiescent in the ground.

So, tonight’s dinner is left over pork chop and chicken legs adobo with rice. (Picture no longer shows chicken legs as there were more chips than chicken)

2 Likes