What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

SV Bavette steaks. We struggled a bit with the meat, even though it was only 200g/7oz in total (weight before cooking). The steaks were good but we enjoyed the buckwheat and roasted cauliflower a lot more. FYI, an adult needs no more than 70g of red meat a day.

German pinot noir is nice and not popular outside the source. There’s enough domestic demand so they don’t really need to advertise abroad.

3 Likes

We’ve been sick. I am on Flu Nº 2 while Mr. SMT has only had one round. We are both running fevers, food tastes like nothing, no appetite, and overwhelming fatigue. Last night I had 1/3 baked potato for goodness sakes! Night before? Oatmeal. It has just been pathetic. And, I have lost another 6 lbs. Determined to reverse this trend, lunch today was a pastrami hash made with the potato no one ate last night. Dinner was some polenta with some lamb shank stew. Neither of us could eat much of it unfortunately.

I am so ready to feel healthier! This is getting old fast.

3 Likes

Is it possible that you used water that was too hot and that killed the yeast?

I checked, the temperature of water was 23°C / 73°F. The yeast was bubbling after 10 - 15 minutes.

Eat lots of fruit with vitamin C, you need it! Get well soon, we miss your cooking!

So, is it possible that there was too much sugar in the dough? A very sweet dough needs more yeast.

40g of sugar to 250g of flour. I compared several recipes, more or less the same proportion.

Was the yeast too old? I have no further ideas1

I was suspecting this.

Also, is there an order of mixing? I read that yeast shouldn’t be in touch with salt /sugar.

I don’t think that the order matters much, more the amounts. Many recipes tell you to “proof” the yeast with some flour and sugar, which is totally unnecessary. In any case, when I use yeast I normally use the so-called instant yeast. I just mix it in with the other ingredients, and have never had a problem.

I bought some fresh yeast today, will try again tomorrow… thanks a lot for help!

Made a shrimp roll. Boy did this push my buttons

11 Likes

and the asparagus at Sarma, wherever it appears, is always wonderful. Always get that amazing hummus.

We haven’t been in a year…need to remedy that very soon.

2 Likes

Sending healing thoughts to you both, smt!

1 Like

Well, salt is supposed to inhibit the growth of yeast, and sugar is supposed to provide food to help the yeast to bloom. At least that’s what I’ve read. It sounds like the first yeast that you used was inactive, but it’s hard to say. Well, better luck with future loaves!

what did you dress the slaw with?
TIA

From last week, recipe from the Milk Street cookbook: Chinese Stir-Fried Eggs with Tomatoes. I had this almost every day for a month last summer in Henan, China. The Milk Street version was a lot more aggressively seasoned.

I use only active dry yeast and it works fine just mixing it in, too, for all except very low hydration doughs. It just takes longer than instant yeast, but I don’t mind.

From what I have read, salt is actually supposed to kill yeast. In practice, however, as long as the yeast and salt aren’t in direct contact for too long, the yeast will be fine. Once when making No Knead (Artisan in 5 recipe), I mixed the water, salt, and yeast, and when I went to add the flour, I had to tend to a minor emergency. A half hour later I added the flour and, to my surprise, the dough was fine.

4 Likes

Huh. I guess from my experiences making No Knead bread and yeast-raised waffles, I can imagine that this makes sense. I think the first batch of yeast in naf’s batches was inactive.

I hope you both recover quickly! That’s a lot to loose so quickly :confused: maybe hot buttered rum with extra butter would help :wink:

1 Like

Sat pm i met friends for dinner in…koreatown!! YaaaYY. New to me place that thankfully had a vegetarian section so I didn’t make the server crazy asking about ingredients. I had the soondubu and shared the amazing vegetarian kimchi pancake. This place if anyone finds themselves in nyc looking for tasty korean
https://www.fivesensesnyc.com

Yesterday i made a new batch of meatless balls following this old yet favorite recipe from dreena burton (really well known vegan cookbook author), i swapped in walnuts and let the mix chill before shaping into balls and baking. A double batch so now my freezer has a bunch.

I also randomly decided to make rice pudding. Random because this was not something i had as a kid and i’ve only tried it a few times. I used a mix of water and canned coconut milk with maple syrup, a good pinch of salt, vanilla, and first toasted the rice with a little coconut oil. I had no idea this would make a TON…!!! It was really delicious and next thing you know after all of my taste testing I wasn’t even a little hungry for dinner. Oops.
Late night i had a few clementines with my kombucha.

So tonight i had some of the new meatless balls , ontop of massaged kale salad because it wasn’t arctic cold today. There were cherry tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, hemp seeds, and some shredded carrot in the salad; basic vinegrette on top.
I’ll probably have a tiny dish of the rice pudding as dessert, it’s very filling. The majority will come with me to work tomorrow, i’ll never be able to finish it myself

6 Likes