What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Made some tonkotsu ramen again with leftover stock and chashu from the freezer.

7 Likes

Big-o bacon burgers in meatball form. Insipired by a Nom Nom Paleo burger recipe I made meatballs with ground beef, turkey bacon, garlic and sautéed shallots. It was a hit dinner and plenty of leftovers and confirmed my suspicion that alliums aren’t my digestive issue. Phew, I wasn’t ready to give them up.

3 Likes

Oven roasted brill (Scophthalmus rhombus) with a crunchy salad alongside. Only a few months ago it cost 12 euros/kg, now 17 euros (ouch, my wallet). Fishmonger says brill is a lot harder to come by these days. On top of this, food tax is going to be risen from 6% to 9%. In total I pay 30% in taxes whatever I buy at the supermarket.

Forgot this photo of the dumplings in my Korean dinner post yesterday. This is the typical shape of Korean dumplings.

I was telling you yesterday about making photos of one’s food and how normal it is in Korea. We were in a cramped beer bar sitting next to these 2 young women and as soon as their food arrived they both pointed their phones at it before even admiring it (I always spend a few moments looking and admiring mine first). I tried to make a photo of them but they suddenly stopped and leaned to one side thinking I was making photo of their food. Very accommodating.

4 Likes

Ouch 3% more is a lot! The food tax is 5.5% here, but I think food is more expansive in FR than in NL.

Thanks for linking that recipe! Looks like a great easy soup- i love that the bean cooking water becomes the broth. Lemon juice sounds like a fantastic way to finish it

You are quite welcome. We really enjoyed it and its a very simple recipe.

Late afternoon appointment out of the office with my boss (who is awesome 97% of the time), we finished a bit early and I announced that going back to the office was absolutely pointless and definitely nothing was an Urgent Crisis that had to be addressed before monday morning. Therefore, we needed to find a happy hour.
So we did :tropical_drink:. I had been wanting a proper moscow mule ever since the terrifying one in CA, so thankfully this place made a legit cocktail and used a nice spicy ginger beer. We munched some spiced popcorn and this little dish of “house pickled” veggies that was somehow not salty enough but otherwise tasty.
Once home i decided veggie dumplings sounded fantastic, so I steamed some of those veggie gyoza from trader joe’s, made more smacked cucumbers and of course munched some kimchi.
If i’m ambitious i’ll make the date/apricot nutty coconut balls from the dates and apricots i’m soaking and have one or two for dessert. If not ambitious i’ll just have a few dates with almond butter and tea and then make the balls in the morning

4 Likes

Love it. :tumbler_glass::mushroom::plate_with_cutlery:

1 Like

Citrus Salad: dressing (garlic, lemon juice, s/p, mustard, olive oil) coating mixed greens, cucumbers, carrots, grape tomatoes, red onion, green peppers, sauteed chicken breast, blood orange, cara cara orange, chives, toasted red walnuts, drizzled with more dressing.

20180119_185844

7 Likes

Remember that brisket? Well that was just the point. There was a flap as well. It brined for four days. Yesterday I smoked it for about 8 hours. Tonight, I portioned this huge piece of meat with one portion heading into the pastrami jacuzzi. I made some New York-style Jewish Rye bread. Dinner was a sandwich with a bracing cole slaw. Mr. SMT also added to potato chips. [I was too lazy to make mayo so we could have a potato salad.]

out of the brine

After an 8-hour smoke

Portioning to head to the freezer or pastrami jacuzzi

Sliced and ready to eat

Dinner

9 Likes

Why did everything upload all wonky? Sorry about that.

A real beautiful Beauty

OMG. Super wonderful. Real nice.

79f861f1fe4a3f66503957b1b4f162f8ea77a38e_1_393x700U

3 Likes

Brown food tonight it’s always comforting . A little red and green . Wine to drink . Cheers. :wine_glass:

7 Likes

Bad photo. Oops

Spaghetti alla puttanesca, with garlic, tomato purée, anchovies, Kalamata olives, red pepper flakes, and capers.

8 Likes

Wow that pastrami & rye looks great!

@smtucker @emglow101 @LindaWhit

Fixed. If any problem let me know.

@hungryonion
Don’t know why photos are turning upside down, happened a lot lately.

1 Like

Not really