What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

Thanks. Simple has been best the past day especially with the added tummy issues which are slowly resolving. So soak then cook or you eat them like overnight oats?

Please let me add my sympathies to the chorus. Sounds like a hard week indeed.

Soak then cook.

3 Likes

Soak, then cook in water for 7 to 10 minutes as you would prepare the quick cooking type of steel cut oats. (The Bob’s Red Mill quick cooking steel cut oats package says 5 to 7 minutes but that’s never long enough for me.)

Do make sure there’s still water in the pot to cover the oats so they don’t burn as they cook. You may need to tweak the amount of water to achieve whatever texture you prefer.

As the water simmers off, I often cover the pot, stir, and turn off the heat to let the porridge progress from a looser to a tighter consistency.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I I owe my cats some treats, they’ve been the bright spot this season providing lots of spontaneous laughs even while crying.

3 Likes

That’s perfect for planning ahead. I haven’t had oats in years but am so glad I bought that bag a few weeks ago, it’s serving me well.

2 Likes

My big concern is just that my apartment is too cold- like low 60s when i am not home- and that it won’t be warm enough to ferment, for example my kombucha had to have a warming mat under it to stay in the low 70s and i am having some troubles that now it takes longer to ferment. I just don’t want to deal with having to buy and set up additional warming mats around my very small apartment full of kimchi! Hahaha. I’m not so worried about the fragrance, i could keep it on my little terrace in nicer weather.
I’ll have to do more poking around the internet for if kimchi can be made in the refrigerator- if so then it will be fine in my cold apartment!!

Oooooh… Science:

http://www.ift.org/food-technology/daily-news/2016/october/27/kimchis-composition-at-different-fermenting-temperatures.aspx

65º is a good temperature for fermentation.

1 Like

LOL… there are different types of bars/clubs so we can’t be too presumptuous! Interestingly quite a few of them are sandwiched between restaurants. The entrance is often tiny but photos of hot girls are big.

1 Like

I posted the previous dinner on the verge of collapse from sleepiness in the middle of the afternoon. Have just looked at it again now and realised a few things didn’t make sense but I’m sure you knew what I meant! Sometimes I change a sentence but forget to remove some words. I do that all the time so please just ignore it.

Anyway, dinner last night was at the fish market. So many restaurants and fish shops you can dine on fresh seafood. The restaurants have a dozen ways of cooking your seafood of choice. We just wanted something light so sashimi was perfect.

Forgot what fish it was.

Soup with fish bits and bones.

The spread. One of the seaweed side dishes have tiny salted fish in it. Very nice. And one has something strongly fermented. No idea what it was exactly.

Now I am going to go back to bed and try to rest my eyes a little. Takes me a week to recover from jet lag.

5 Likes

Crazy gorgeous day here again…! Had lunch with friends at their gold and tennis club, this was out view of the pool and fire pit (seemed silly to have it on when it was in the 70s) from the patio. I had a not especially exciting but quite salad nicoise with chickpeas swapped instead of the fish and i gave my friend the hard boiled eggs, somehow i now dislike eggs straight up although i don’t mind them incorporated into a dish.

This afternoon i made potato leek soup for my parents by special request. I use my mom’s recipe but add in a good splash of white wine after i let the butter brown when i saute the onions in the first step. I also add in thyme and use a generous amount of salt and use veggie better than bullion as the stock. I pulled some before adding the dairy for myself, we all had soup and side salads. A glass of reisling a la carte for me, chardonnay for dad. Photo of the leftovers that will go to the freezer

IMG_1686

8 Likes

Carmel country club ?

Thanks for the recipe for the leek soup. I think I will try it out. I have made this soup many times, but never with brown butter and white wine.

1 Like

A simple dinner which brings great pleasure. Restaurant is on a side street leading to the fish market. No menu, no photos of the food to show what the restaurant offers, a big language barrier (but it was no problem at all), no other tourists, no TripAdvisor sticker. Exactly what I want. The only research I did for this trip is typical foods of this city. Since I know almost nothing about Korean cuisine most things taste good to me anyway. If a place has locals eat there then I want to eat there as well. Just like when I was a novice.

The cook stands outside beckoning you over to the table. You walk to the outdoors kitchen to see what is being cooked. If you like what you see the cook asks if you want the meal for 1 or 2 persons. That’s about it. The photo is the whole meal this place serves. You don’t have another choice except more fish (costs extra).

The view from where I sat. That’s the cook outside.

Has 6 small tables. Customers I saw were the type who would rather not pay more than necessary. In this case, eur.4. The man behind me got an extra piece of fried fish (for an extra cost).

5 Likes

Awesome!! Thank you for this!
Project Kimchi will commence soon!! :):grin:

1 Like

You’re good! Actually carmel valley (not much sunshine in carmel!), i got a bunch of freckles from all the sunshine!!

1 Like

I hope you do, it’s a rather simple soup but with a bit of salad and ideally some crusty bread it makes for a great winter dinner. I think that recipe card may be older than i am!

1 Like

My first meal after returning from Bordeaux, made this meal with an empty fridge…

A nice Korean eat-out for dinner tonight.

2 Likes

Today, after I checkin today’s guests, I got to that fresh ham steak. But this ham steak’s story starts 8 days go. I cured the steak, which is one of the most annoying parts of my pig share, for five days. You pull from the brine when the flesh is just beginning to firm up. Then it went onto my new smoker for a long cold smoke with apple wood.

Today it was time for the hot smoke to actually cook the ham steak. For some reason, Mr. SMT thought this would be dinner. Hah! That isn’t how smoking works… and I was right. Dinner was some Magic Freezer Ribs with the rest of the broccolini and some Near East Wild Rice stuff.

Meanwhile, I pulled the ham from the smoker at 140º. I knew it had had enough smoke, so I finished it in the more efficient indoor oven.

after the cold smoke

after the hot smoke

This will turn into at least one of tomorrow’s meals. I am thinking mac n’ cheese with some petite peas, but I might be over-ruled.

8 Likes

Incredible!

I like that you suffer for your food.,:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed: