What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

Maybe some white rice and ginger ale for the tummy? Nausea is the worse feeling ever…! Hope that passes quickly for you.

Cali Countdown Final Days over here…!!! A$$ on plane Saturday at the absolute crack of dawn! Actually, before the sun rises.
Anyways, Operation Eat the Perishables is under way and dinner tonight took care of some odds and ends. Savory yogurt bowl with plain greek yogurt, a gob of my hummus, chopped scallions and cilantro, chopped cucumber, and some halved sad cherry tomatoes. More cucumber on the side for scooping and the rest of the bell pepper.
I was excited for this fun dessert from the work goodie basket- it’s chocolate covered peanuts on the outside, then inside a wafer cookie thing with creamy peanut butter filling- how crazy it look so much like the wrapper in real lifeIMG_1629

But… there was a hidden layer of sticky caramel holding the chocolate to the wafer cookie layer and i was too nervous to rip out my temporary crown before leaving town so soon :tired_face: So after the photo and trying to take a bite that stuck to my teeth so much i had to go to plan B, hot (almond milk) chocolate with as many mini marshmallows i could fit on top.

6 Likes

Normally I’ve already left for the holidays right about now but this year I want to wait until later, because then I can enjoy holiday food sales and availability.

North Sea shrimp. The shelled version costs about eur.5 per 100gr. The shell is not so hard, just nicely crunchy and easier on the wallet (eur.1,50 for 100gr). Most people don’t know how or don’t want to peel. The fishing companies send the shrimp to country such as Morocco to be peeled.

Wild salmon from Faroe Islands, just seared. Too good to cook longer than that. I secure the steaks with kitchen twines to make it easier to turn in the frying pan. I did brush the fish with a deglazed pan sauce, with some liquid smoke added to it, the sugar in it charrred the fish. Have to remember to go easy on this smokey sauce next time.

SV wild boar fillet, then seared. The red pointed cabbage turned neon pink along the edges when I squeezed lime juice all over. So nice. Next time I shall try making photo of that. Btw, “pointed cabbage” is a weird name, which is translated directly from German and Dutch languages. It’s a hybrid cabbage. Tastes a bit more “refined” than standard Kraut/cabbage, and takes less time to soften. I got a bunch of different potatoes in Germany a couple of weeks ago, they are in photos of recent meals.

So pretty! Another hybrid veg (kale and Brussel sprouts). Very nice. Hope it’s getting more common. They are very small, this is a close-up photo which makes them look bigger than they actually are.

Cooked in duck fat.

SV duck legs. I like duck breasts, too, but the legs are my favourite.

Cheese fondue with some of the last things in my fridge. Four different cheeses in the fondue pot.

My duck breast. And the last of the vegs, almost. There’s still king trumpet mushrooms for another meal.

12 Likes

Dinner was the rest of the leek-potato soup which had been slipped into the magic freezer. I also pulled out a “failed” ciabatta. The bottom of this particular loaf became quite crusty and the loaf didn’t get the loft that we prefer for sandwiches. So I cut off the bottom of the loaf, flipped, spread around some crushed garlic mixed into some butter, and warmed. Perfect, if light, supper.

New fridge will arrive tomorrow!!! Of course, it takes hours to get to temp. Friday we will buy vegetables! We will make vegetables. We will eat vegetables!!! And then I will begin to replace everything that was lost.

1 Like

My friend is cooking dinner. Chicken and rice. She says she can’t cook. Who cares .Wine to drink .
Cheers

3 Likes

I love how you doused the “healthy” kale in duck fat. That would probably be the one of the only ways I’d like it.

1 Like

Tonight the temperatures have finally dipped down. -17 C for the first time this year. I made some zesty hot and sour soup with tofu and shitakes.

I just got a new instant pot, so I am fooling around with it a bit this evening too.

2 Likes

Those “kalettes” came to stores here at some point last year i think, i bought them a few times and liked them best roasted. But they’re quite a bit more than either kale or brussel sprouts so that was that, kind of fun to have for something different

1 Like

I went as a plus one to my friend’s friends’ holiday party where i knew exactly only the friend i came with… i ended up having a good time and there was a great not overly boozy mulled wine. The food selection was uninspired and not much that didn’t involve too much dairy or something meaty (think cheese platter, bacon wrapped dates, creamy dips, cheesey/meaty flatbread…) i nibbled on some veggies and crackers but that didn’t cut it as dinner.

Appetizer was random asian snack!! Hahaha. I think these are chinese? Like a super thin savory breadstick, very crunchy.

The Google helped me make a quick soup from the rest of my hummus and i added some chopped scallions and a small handful of hemp seeds on top. Side of radishes with a bit of smoked salt.

2 Likes

Ha- I love those- kinda like pretzels but lighter.

Very impressed. The chicken thighs cooked in the bag from her mom’s recipe . Super tender . Better than mine. :yum:

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was roasted shrimp and broccoli with pesto, easy sheet pan meal.

I was cleaning out the freezer and discovered some frozen French onion soup so that’s what’s for dinner tonight. I’ll toss in some mushrooms, breadless with Comte on top.

3 Likes

Hummus in soup sounds delicious!

1 Like

Healthy on healthy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think they are originated from Japan, Glico is a famous brand, then became popular in Chinese and Asian community. Glico Pretz is more classic, only coated with spices, my favourite ones was a certain garlic, maybe salad flavour, ate quite a lot when I was a kid… Glico Pocky is dipped in all types of flavours. I guess you can find this in Korea too.

61rXw4NSvYL

SY3551005271_1

Now I suspect they are in fact inspired by pretzels, look at the name!

3 Likes

I thought that was what they were too! But these were more sturdy, like a very thin breadstick, not as light and crispy like the pretzel style ones which i think i prefer.

[quote=“naf, post:218, topic:11776, full:true”]

Well by the label, they are Korean. Where they are manufactured is another story. My Korean is not good enough to know even if you posted a photo of the flip side.

Oh, this particular package is in Korean. But I thought @Ttrockwood was talking about the origin of this type of breadstick. I guess I misunderstood his post.

The fridge is here! The fridge is here! It did arrive with nasty ding, but upon inspection, it is not a functional problem. Just a cosmetic one. I decided to accept it with a 5% discount. Antonio and his crew were shocked. No one accepts damaged appliances anymore, he told me. My kitchen is so unconventional that it simply doesn’t matter. The fridge is in what was once an air lock that held the ice bin back in the day. It has outside walls on both sides. My kitchen is not magazine worthy; just functional for us.

For dinner, I had one pork chop from our pig share which I brined. Then cooked on the stove top. When it hit temp, I made a mustard-cream sauce. Also made a rosti with the last of greenery in the house– scallions. Another unbalanced dinner, but it should get us through the night.

Market Basket… Here I come!

9 Likes

Oh geez…! Thanks for that, I’m obviously clueless as to where they were from.
And @naf they reminded me a lot of Pocky just even thinner and more crunchy. Those pretzel style pocky are favorite- on my first trip to seoul and shanghai i remember seeing at least a dozen varieties at the little market i went to.

1 Like