What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

Happy Chanukah!

2 Likes

No egg whites. These are a microwave recipe!

Orange-Spiced Nuts

1 12-oz. can mixed salted nuts
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried grated orange peel
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)

In a large microwaveable mixing bowl, combine nuts, sugar, butter, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on HIGH in microwave for 5-6 minutes until nuts are browned, stirring twice during cooking. Stir in orange peel and ground red pepper and mix well.

Spread on cookie sheet lined with foil to completely cool, stirring once or twice while cooling to break up nuts.

NOTES : I usually buy the extra large cans of Planters mixed nuts at BJ’s Wholesale Club – that makes about 2 1/2 batches of this recipe.

I also usually add more Worcestershire sauce, dried orange peel, and cayenne, depending on who I am making it for.

3 Likes

Here is the recipe I used this time. Fairly simple. A bit dry. I had a lovely pork liver from my pig share, so of course, I picked a recipe that really used the liver. Personally, for Bahn Mi, I think some of the seasonings could be amped up just a bit.

4 Likes

I probably skimped on the extra fat.

To you as well.

2 Likes

those ribs! sorry about the freezer loss…

Did you use the prepackaged TJ’s Fondue Cheese, or did you use TJ’s cheeses to make your own fondue? I’m planning to do fondue for Christmas Eve, and have been wondering how the packaged fondue was. At $5.99, it seems like a good deal…

I used the boxed premixed. I thought it was tasty and melted well. It tasted a bit too much of alcohol but that’s my very low tolerance and think others wouldn’t have any issue with that taste. They have 3 this year. This was the yellow box which I enjoyed more than the red cup. I haven’t tried the black cup yet.

1 Like

Leftover Indian tonight. Have to start over tomorrow. Can’t wait to have a real fridge again!

6 Likes

Yes, very similar! Great minds… :wink:
I do really like the raw fennel in there, although i’m also certainly a fan of endive but that falls under the too fancy for myself but i’ll buy it when making for friends or guests. Hazelnuts sound fabulous here, i’ll have to use those next time

1 Like

:cry:

I lost so much fennel in the great fridge death of 2017.

I apparently cooked my chickpeas a more than i meant to yesterday - my own fault for letting them sit too long in the hot cooking liquid instead of draining right away.
I took that as A Sign and made the Zahav hummus.
So dinner last night was basically hummus, scooped up with slices of cucumber, fennel, cherry tomatoes, and some seedy crackers. Mug of hot V8 to sip with it (yes hot V8 is really good, i added a squeeze of fresh lemon too)

Tonight i did a quick sauté of cruciferous crunch with a bunch of edamame, added a good splash of trader joe’s soy vay towards the end and a little toasted sesame oil. We got a fun gift from one of our mills that included a lot of random i wasn’t interested in (like white chocolate matcha kit kats) but i’m really into these crispy peas. They say “garlic green pies” - which sounds good!- but they’re just salty garlicky crunchy peas. Two little packets went ontop of my dinner bowl for some crunch

7 Likes

Meatball casserole last night for dinner. It was a simple throw together meal but one of the most satisfying I’ve had in months. I think this means good things about my stress level, perhaps my appetite is waking up!

10 Likes

We had the same thing for dinner last night - meatballs, marinara and loads of cheese. Comfort food!

2 Likes

So comforting. I realized I have some pesto in the fridge so might need to repeat this week. I’ve actually been debating what to have for Christmas Eve and Day and meatballs might just be perfect.

1 Like

@smtucker

I would be a very happy dinner guest at your home! All those food, Indian, Vietnamien… very impressive. Sorry about your big fridge lost.

@fldhkybna
Like your fondue party! Long time I didn’t do a fondue.

@LindaWhit
Want to be at your company party. Would like to eat especially the butternut ravioli…
Like your Pumpkin Cranberry bread, thanks for inspiration.

3 Likes

Among the recent meals, this one with pork was the most satisfying. (Most were the repetition of the recipes I have posted here already.) I was playing with the ingredients, oven cooked pork ribs buttered with grainy mustard, sliced onion, dried prunes, garlic salt, bacon and apple cider. Sided with pan fried Jerusalem artichoke, garlic and rosemary which was a perfect match.

Another dinner worth mentioning was a lovely chicken husband bought. He was misled by the label of the shop that he bought a Bresse chicken. In fact he has bought a black chicken from the Midi region. An ancient species that was not adapted to mass industries, and nearly disappeared. This slow growing chicken needs at least 5 months to maturity.

I have used it for two meals, first meal a roasted chicken, good but it was a bit hard. The second meal, I used the remaining meat and bones of the chicken to make a broth, it was much better, more tender and delicious. More oily when compared to a normal chicken. I read a bit, the chicken was the bird for original recipe of Poule au pot.

8 Likes

Cycle 10, week 3 today. I cam home and nibbled on a bit of cheddar cheese-scallion scone and my stomach went nuts. I have never had nausea before on this drug, so this was a surprise. Dinner was some Hot & Sour soup from Zoe’s. It isn’t sitting perfectly. We shall see.

@naf. I love broths made with slow-growing poultry. So much more flavor than most of what we can get here in the USA.

4 Likes

Tonight I cleaned out the fridge of all the veggies I could find and made a frittata. Ended up having a leek, mushroom, and zucchini with motzarella cheese frittata, man was it good. Hubby and small girl child even liked it.

10 Likes

In the midst of xmas retail craziness. Finally had a day off for a Chanukah dinner! Grass fed boneless ribeye roast, roasted fennel, sweet potato, carrot, onion, and butternut squash. Creasy greens cooked in duck fat with Pirates Bite pepper mix and a bit of pepper vinegar to finish.

Circus cat at 70 percent but still not able to deal with stairs. He was very, very happy to share in the beef! Cut back his steriods but still eating like a lumberjack…

Happy holidays to all!

13 Likes