What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Everything looks incredible but those oysters, oh my! I would like to dive into that bowl.

Those salmon bellies are calling out to me. I like to slice them out as well and serve seperately. Best way to get your salmon oil fix

2 Likes

Fried rice with leftover roast pork.

IMG_3748

7 Likes

Thank you, both.

I’m a purist when it comes to oysters so this Korean dish was kind of strong for my taste. But it’s good to try something new once in a while.

Salmon belly strips cost eur.6/kg. I just have to remove the skin myself. Not long now until some TV chef says the belly strips are cheap and delicious then suddenly the fishmongers double the price. It has happened many times before. Octopus, monkfish, haddock, brill, crab claws etc. You name it, the prices have doubled or even trebled.

1 Like

Chicken wings, any bones, all formerly known as trash fish, flank steak… the list is endless.

2 Likes

Last night I made an old-fashioned baked pasta. The sausage was made at Savenor’s and I received it as part of my “CSA.” This place is afraid of flavor. No salt; hardly any peppers even in the hot version. Some Calabrian peppers took care of that. The cheese mixture included an aged provolone, mozzarella, ricotta, and Pecorino Romano. There is enough leftover for lunch with the grand-scallion tomorrow.

Tonight I made a mushroom risotto. This was some thirsty rice! I ran out of stock and had to finish with some heated water. No matter! This was delicious! I have about 3 cups leftover. Can you say Arancini?

5 Likes

Worked just late enough i was super exhausted and cranky hangry when i left. I stopped at Beyond Sushi for an order of their amazing mushroom dumplings without any toppings or sauce (the skins are very thin and they’re just crammed with intense mushroomy filling) and the roasted chickpeas in tahini and sumac side dish.
I totally ate the chickpea side on the subway :smile:
Once home i made a quick miso broth, added in some scallions, crumpled sheets of nori snack sheets and the mushroom dumplings with a big handful of spinach that wilted in. Totally hit the spot.
https://beyondsushinyc.com/beyondnew/media/Menu.pdf

7 Likes

It was just a mushroom kind of night! Mushroom dumplings sound wonderful.

1 Like

I’m just five days away from the end of Whole30 and I am jonesing SO HARD for Asian food. No soy is such a PITA, and no sugar means I can’t even use canned curry pastes to make a Thai curry. Ugh! Anyway, I couldn’t take it anymore so I cobbled together a curry with a ton of stirfried vegetables, ginger, garlic and flap steak, then used curry powder (Indian), chiles and coconut milk for the sauce. It wasn’t bad, but I cannot WAIT for this 30 days to be over.

2 Likes

I am curious. What were you hoping that this diet would offer you and your body? Has it done this something?

Well, I decided to try it for a couple of reasons. I’ve been low carb for a looooooooooooong time (15+ years), which is something I started for weight loss and then continued for maintenance. However, I’ve been slowly gaining weight over the past couple of years, so I thought this might be a good way for me to get back to basics and see if excess dairy or alcohol could be one of the causes of weight gain. My acid reflux has also been flaring lately, and my doctor suggested eliminating dairy and alcohol to see if that might help. I didn’t HAVE to do Whole30 to eliminate those things, but I figured why not give it a go and see if it helps those issues, along with all of the other stuff that people claim it can do?

I haven’t weighed myself but my pants are much looser so I’m fairly certain I’ve lost a few pounds doing this. It has made me think a little bit more creatively about meals, especially vegetable preparations - when tossing a handful of parmesan on XXX is no longer an option, you have to flex your cooking muscles a bit. As for the reflux, it has calmed down some, although to be fair it always comes and goes. If it flares up when I reintroduce dairy and/or alcohol, I’ll be more inclined to think of them as culprits. I don’t think there’s anything magical about this plan but it has increased my awareness of what I am eating and taught me some lessons that will be applicable when I return to basic low-carb.

3 Likes

I know it’s only 5 more days but coconut aminos? They don’t taste like soy sauce to me but others find them a good substitute.

This is the truck, MrGGG. I just sold my 1960 Buick Le Sabre so this is my daily driver now- and I really like it! It does have a hood! I snapped this while the man was putting the tilt kit hardware on it.

after years of driving a lowered car its nice to be able to see everything again and not have to slow down to almost a complete stop for speed bumps.

Tonight will be my easy busy weekend fallback- a bunch of meat on the grill! Tri tip is $2.88 a pound this week so the freezer is full of it. I will do one Santa Maria style, a dozen or so chicken thighs (probably schwarma type rub,) and lots of beef ribs. There is zucchini, potatoes and portobellos that can be tossed on the grill as well.

10 Likes

Thanks for posting, I always think that the Cantonese pork belly is impossible to make in a home oven.

1 Like

I just love intense mushroom flavour, this is heaven for me!!

3 Likes

Low energy these days, don’t even feel like cooking. Just orecchiette with tomato sauce , anchovy, arugula, fermented black pepper, black olives and capers.

10 Likes

The magic freezer gave us a Moroccan Lamb Shank stew tonight. Served with course bulgur and some really wretched asparagus. Time to move to winter vegetables and stop pretending it is summer time.

6 Likes

Perfection!

1 Like

screw up going to try again
I made “wretched” asparagus as well tonight after swearing them off last week, but only because I was roasting Brussels sprouts so I did them almost the same way, they were better tonight but still not good, sprouts were better

10 Likes

I haven’t had the coconut but I love the Bragg and use it as salad dressing

1 Like