What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

my sister and i and a friend had some on Saturday…

that grilled cheese looks fab!

7 Likes

Could I post everything over the Thanksgiving long weekend in one post, or should I separate it day-by-day? (Technically, it would be more than one dinner, and breakfast and lunch, too.)

1 Like

@bmorecupcake. I think you should post however it is easiest for you. Others have certainly “bundled” their posts in the past and I don’t remember finding that difficult to follow. And I can assure you, I was not irritated in any kind of way!

1 Like

Whichever you prefer, it doesn’t make too much difference, people can scroll

@mariacarmen bundles posts on occasion, so feel free!

1 Like

as others have said, you can do it any way you like. i often bundle mine, and sometimes i put what night it was for, but sometimes they’re in random order. no one really cares if it’s a particular dinner for a particular night - we’re all just interested in the food!

1 Like

some further over-the-weekend dishes…

Gildas - that wonderful tapa that i first tried in Barcelona, consisting of a guindilla pepper, an anchovy, and an olive (anchovy-stuffed, in our case).

a Spanish charcuterie & cheese plate along with Ruffles and Lipton’s onion dip, for old times’ sake…

some soft-yolk deviled eggs…

another view of the crab, brandishing a skewer…

and mac-n-cheese - i made two kinds, one with lobster for my sister and me, and one without, for the BF.

This is the one without. the one with lobster got a little too dark (aka burnt) on top, but it still tasted great and i’m still working on the leftovers.

Salads have been prescribed for now…

7 Likes

My DH would love this. Is it meant to be eaten in one bite, or do you eat the pieces separately?

1 Like

One bite, more or less, so you get all the flavors at once. it’s delicious!

Mr. SMT had cataract surgery this morning. We had to leave the house at 5:45 am which is really early! Threw our day off in some strange ways. We had to drive home after the procedure during rush hour which meant that a 20 minute drive took a bit over an hour. Boy are those morning drivers wacky, and since that commute means driving into the sun, it was hard on the eyes.

Anyhow, dinner needed to be simple. I added some of the turkey stock to the rest of the turkey gravy and pan drippings. To this I added the leftover carrots and a bunch of turkey, both dark and white meat, steamed and popped pearl onions, plus some peas. Served over old fashioned Carolina rice which I cooked poorly since we never eat this kind of rice.

The soup will be tomorrow, I think.

8 Likes

I knew we’d be getting home late tonight, so I plopped a big chuck roast in the crockpot this morning with some onions, garlic, herbs and red wine. It will be accompanied by some leftover Brussels sprouts from Thanksgiving and probably a glass of the same wine it cooked in!

4 Likes

Had a couple of hunks of shoulder roast that I didn’t sous vide the other day. Sliced it very thin and did a velveting technique and hot water blanch with the meat. Had one stalk of broccoli and some mini red peppers. All this came together as a beef stir fry with some peanuts for crunch

4 Likes

Worked late last night because first day back in the office Everything Was A Crisis. Had a bowl of the hazan cabbage and wild rice soup i made over the weekend, tasted even better after the two day rest in the fridge and i might like it even better with the wild rice than as written with arborio. Kombucha and clementines for dessert.

Tonight was tacos!! My coworkers went to a place for “taco tuesday” at lunch which set off a craving (i didn’t because their vegetarian tacos are beyond lame and their beans are made with pork fat) but i had some leftover cooked lentils and taco seasoning that i mixed with sautéed onion and garlic and some toasted finely chopped walnuts. Into the corn/flour combo tortillas with fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, and mild tomatillo salsa (store bought). Side of the extra shredded lettuce and cilantro with some sliced cucumber and radishes for a little salad thing. Hit the spot.

5 Likes

Very creative! I know that “native” Mexican isn’t all that vegetarian friendly, but it doesn’t have to be that way, as you know. Most cuisines are naturally vegetarian. Poorer people ate vegetables, stretching their animal proteins to feed as many people as possible. Having said that, my favorite local Mexican place makes no effort to feed vegetarians. His least interesting items are the vegetarians ones.

It is impressive that you found a way to satisfy your cravings in such a creative way!

I’m lucky that i speak spanish fluently so i can usually work that to my favor and ask for a vegetarian combo using ingredients from the other omni tacos, but certainly some places are too difficult or limited. (And i’ve had too many sad meals out of veggies and rice to last me a lifetime!)
The lentil/walnut combo is great for meatless burgers and balls too, make for a hearty (high protein) earthy combo.

last night’s sundried tomato in cream sauce pasta - very 80s, i know, but we loved it. toasted pine nuts in there, too. and lotsa parm regg. BF made himself italian sausages to go with as he can’t not have meat.

sundried tomato pasta

salad was artichoke hearts, cannellini beans, red onion, kalamata olives, dried oregano, fresh chopped Italian parsley, s&p, olive oil and a little red wine vinegar, all on a bed of arugula. super tasty. love it when tossed together things turn out right!

8 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was actually Pasta e Fagioli. Bad neuropathy day so I tried a new trick which I saw Lidia Bastianich utilize last week on one of her many cooking shows on Create. I made what I thought she called a pastiche, but that appears to be wrong. Anyhow, I ran the guanciale through the food processor until it was a smooshy mess. Pull that out, and did the same with the onions and parsley. Worked out just fine and saved me from tons of mincing.

Absolutely delicious.

11 Likes

Finally uploaded the few photos I have from Thanksgiving Dinner.

4 Likes

Went to the Santa Cruz Harbor today. The crab boats we’re coming in this evening. Live crab tomorrow. I I steam them, grab a beer and stand over the sink while cracking and eating them.:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

A like icon doesn’t do that meal justice

4 Likes