What's for Dinner #22 - 06/2017 - June is Bustin' Out All Over Edition

That looks great. Thanks for the link. Deb’s recipes are great. I’ve used this Food and Wine recipe several times (and added Spanish chorizo for carivores) with good results, but saffron gets expensive! Although Trader Joe’s makes it somewhat more affordable.

1 Like

I’ve never had a version with raisins or cloves or saffron involved, interesting variation.
I love how easy and quick the SK recipe is, and everything i don’t have on hand is easy to buy even at the crummy market near me!

Dinner was grilled chicken thighs with our own home-made Inner beauty sauce, a vinegar based cole slaw and a German-style potato [lots of potassium.] Tomorrow night, we eat out. My mother is coming and she wants a restaurant meal. Who am I to argue?

4 Likes

Leftover cuttlefish became a salad. Hottest day so far (33C)! Good news is it drops a whopping 10 degrees tomorrow. Not so exciting news is I have leftover chicken from yesterday to eat for dinner again.

And I’m not physically in Australia but it felt like it. Had to cancel the pub this afternoon.

PS: @emglow101 :wine_glass:

1 Like

Delete my post

Another one of “those” weeks, but I survived.

I cooked last weekend; just didn’t post. So I’ll pull a @mariacarmen and post the week’s dinners since last weekend. :slight_smile: Lemon-Herb chicken, yellow rice and asparagus, and a tri-tip from Wegmans that I marinated in a sweet & spicy marinade, baby roasted potatoes and green beans. (I highly recommend Wegmans’ tri-tip - very tender!)

All I had the energy for mid-week was a couple of big-ass salads using the leftover chicken with my Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette. They aren’t any different except the dried cranberries vs. mango.

Tonight was an easy dinner tonight that used up some leftover veg. Lamb burger with ground sumac and caramelized onions on a brioche bun with some lettuce. The burger was nicely medium, even though it might not look like it in the picture. :slight_smile:

Yellow rice, asparagus, red cabbage and feta salad, tossed with some olive oil and sherry vinegar.

A V&L on the side. And probably some Halo Chocolate Almond Crunch ice cream or Talenti Fudge Brownie gelato for dessert.

7 Likes

That rice salad sounds and looks fantastic. I may have to steal the recipe!

1 Like

Looks fantastic Linda . I hope you are chillin with a glass of wine . Happy weekend .:wine_glass: Cheers

1 Like

Made a salad of greens, tomatoes, and beet and feta to precede a dish of Cobia on beet tops wih roasted carrots

7 Likes

Wed pm i made some lentil walnut taco filling (chopped walnuts, lentils, onion, taco seasoning, garlic, bit of tomato sauce) and then flopped a pile of that on salad with cucumber, radishes, cilantro, cherry tomatoes and a light vinegrette over the veggies. Really hit the spot.

Last night was hot! I met my good friend in k-town at bcd tofu and it was SO freaking cold in the restaurant that the mushroom tofu soondubu was perfect!

Some tasty banchan came beforehand, and we had some makkoli which will likely become my summer drink of choice! Love the slight fizz to it

m

We went to H mart afterwards so she could help me figure out which white kimchi to get (she’s korean and this is her favorite brand for all kimchi)

It is SO freaking good!!
I had a good bit of it as my "appetizer " tonight. Also picked up this tofu dish which is probably better hot, there’s a light batter to it and some tiny veg on top. I added a little soy sauce and had some of that along with a big salad with cucumber, edamame, cilantro, some of these marinated

bean sprouts, and then i blitzed some kimchi juice with grapeseed oil for vinegrette :)) best idea maybe ever.

9 Likes

Went out for tapas last night.

Watermelon gazpacho with basil oil; anchovies with olive and peppers.

Asparagus flan with piquillo sauce.

Not pictured, croquetas de jamon Serrano, garlic shrimp, Galician octopus, pimientos de padron, meatballs in spicy tomato sauce.

Ended with chocolate mousse with berry cream.

6 Likes

It needed some more ooomph, but I went with what I made. :slight_smile:

Dinner was decided in my drenching travels this morning, depending on what I found at Hannaford. As I said on my Facebook wall this morning while out and about:

Running errands and downpours go together like:

Oil and water.
Toothpaste and orange juice.
Religion and government.
Sarcasm and Sheldon Cooper.
Stupidity and power.
Alcohol and car keys.
Foil and microwave.
Chewing gum and hair.
Crappy wine and me.

So scallops were on the menu, as they looked the best. Dinner was scallops in saffron cream sauce, basmati rice, and steamed green beans.

A very good white wine alongside - a Picco Attila Bianco Chardonnay 2015 from a subscription service by WSJWines that a coworker gets every couple of months and opens it up to coworkers he knows who like wine. This was a good choice on my part.

8 Likes

4 Likes

Picked up some nice salmon belly and rock cod with skin on from the farmers market today. Marinated the salmon belly in soy , brown sugar and maple syrup. Put on the smoker for 3 hours. Rock cod pan-fried in butter. With a small amount of Crema on top. Farro with onions and olive oil and vinegar. Arugula. Wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

5 Likes

Lots of grilling now that its hot again- 2 or 3 days worth at a time. Last night we did a tri tip, carne asada and chicken satay (which was dinner with cucumber salad.) Lots of peppers and chiles drom the garden and eggplant on the grill, too.

This little guy has been keeping me busy- I’d rather play with him than slave over the stove in the heat right now.

Meet Enzo:

11 Likes

Sweet! He’s in a deep sleep and probably dreaming…
Sounds like you are enjoying goodies from your garden!

Unfortunately, it was much too hot to grill (outside) and not it’s back to gloomy and wet.

SV duck breast (rhubarb as well). Substantially less fat than the goose breast last time. Dark blob is port gelée.

7 Likes

It’s a disgusting 109 degrees today. So, still no cooking.
Last night we had a great meal at Republique, in Los Angeles.

Corn cheddar beignets served on a lime avocado sauce.
Buratta with zucchini pesto and figs.
Roasted cauliflower and broccoli with sweet potato hummus, goat cheese, blood orange, dukkah. (My favorite of all the dishes we shared.)
Agnolotti with English peas, pancetta, squash blossoms, parmesan.

12 Likes

ACK!!! He’s adorable! Enjoy having him wake you up in the middle of the night. :smiley:

3 Likes