What's for Dinner #22 - 06/2017 - June is Bustin' Out All Over Edition

I decided that I would include coconut oil in my diet for my increasing memory lost sec to age
So, I made use of the cheese broccoli stems purchased from the Asian market recently, sauteed it in coconut oil, and garlic, fish sauce, add enough chardonnay to poach the fish, and left over cauliflower rice. (See my post for dinner tonight). It was surprisingly good, simple and fast.

I have been nibbling all day on plantan cooked with a can of coconut milk as snack.

As for the cold cucumber dish, it is one of our favorites from my mom’s recipe.
My son is also obsessed with it.
I peel and slice cucumber, add regular soy sauce, apple cider vinegar or the Datu Puti Pinoy spiced coconut vinegar dressing, some sesame oil, fresh ground pepper and enough sesame oil until I cam smell the fragrance of the sesame oil, Marinade for half an hour r, serve chilled.

3 Likes

My son likes cucumbers with rice vinegar, sugar, and sesame seeds. This is a child that doesn’t like carrots, but will eat arugala.

Doesn’t it make you happy when you get them to eat something like cucumbers?

I’m intrigued by the spiced coconut vinegar dressing. How do you make that?

pls check my notes on that under INGREDIENTS THAT CAUSED REVELATIONS, MAY 25.
The picture is also following reply to Thimes.
It is good it you like spicy food.
In fact, when my son’s friends came for crab feast 2 nights ago, they tried the usual maryland crab spice with vinegar and also Datu Puti and some of them actually like Datu Puti as a dip.
We love it for grilled veggies esp romaine lettuce grilled with EVOO and dipped in this .
It is made of TUBA ( aged coconut vinegar)

2 Likes

Sometimes I just like to have what I had for dinner one more time . And adding another ingredient , this time grilled garlic prawns . Wine to drink :wine_glass: cheers

7 Likes

Had my son and his girlfriend over as well as my BIL. Made grilled chicken breasts which I had split and pounded down and SV’d a tri tip. Served with sandwich fixings, baked potatoes and corn on the cob

9 Likes

Nice meals, everyone, even in this heat!

@emglow101, I eat the same things twice in a row all the time.

@Scubadoo97, nice! I’m going to order a SV Supreme vac sealer later this week. Certain things are better completely sealed for cooking longer and at higher temps.

Whoa! And I thought yesterday was hot. Today it was 32C/89F. My limit is 25C/77F (but preferably 24C at most). Sous vide cooking is rather in this weather. I do other things whilst it cooks itself.

Tested goose breast for the first time today. It was fine and moist but I want to try for more than medium rare next time. Goose breasts are naturally not as tender as duck breasts, and they are also bigger.

Made a cherry compote the other day with leftover water which released from the cherries. I reduced it and turned it into a savoury marinade for the breast. The breast sat in it for 2 days which resulted in a very nice flavour. Before searing it had the most intense, deep, dark cherry colour. Almost black.

SV rhubarb keeps its shape, texture and colour. I don’t like mushy rhubarb. There was also chard because rhubarb alone would be too much sourness.

Fat insulates the beast and keeps the meat moist after cooking.

8 Likes

I love D’Artagnan’s moulard duck breast.
However, the skin does not always turn out as crispy as I like to, because I am afraid that the skin can be overcooked.
The picture shows the goose skin pretty dark
Is that not overcooked? still crispy?
Wandering if using a sous vibe would result in a crispier duck skin and perhaps oven fried chicken wings as I hate frying.
Your comment is appreciated before investing in a SV Supreme. Hate to see another appliance cluttering my countertop.

Gorgeous goose. What temp and how long did you sous vide? I haven’t done duck or goose yet, but I find that chicken and turkey skin tends to nearly disintegrate with sous vide cooking. I usually take those to 160+ degrees, though, and I assume your goose was less well done than that.

Take your chicken skins and put them between parchment between two sheet pans and pop in a hot oven for no mess wafer thin crisp skins

2 Likes

@Scubadoo97, good trick/tip. Thanks! I just render the c(hicken) fat in a little saucepan. The partner likes the crunchy bits.

@biondanonima, 56C/132.8F (according to online conversion) for 2 hours. Doneness was medium. The almost black exterior came from the cherry marinade in which it sat for 2 days. Wanna try for between rare and med. rare next time. Though, I’ve not seen rare goose breast anywhere yet.

@ccj, to make the skin crispy it’s recommended that you put it in the fridge (uncovered) for a while. Make sure the whole thing is dry. So, cold and dry are the criteria for a crisp-skin bird. Also how they make the skin of Peking/roast duck crispy.

My goose breast looked black, almost. It got the colour from the marinade. The searing made it even darker but not burned to a crisp at all.

1 Like

good to know.
One Asian store I used to frequent had crispy chicken skin similar to chicharron of pig, I thought they fried it . Hate frying bec of mess created.
It should taste good dipped in the Datu Puti Pinoy Spice.
Will try sometimes when I have chicken with skin
Usually buy the skinless ones, the con is they come without bones
I like bones on my meat.

1 Like

Remembering the days I used to cook Peking Duck with a turbo broiler.
I used to hung the duck on the neck, let it drip dry and place a fan to cool it down
Also tried to separate the skin from the duck by using an endotracheal tube ( from my trade), blowing air thru it to separate the skin from the flesh, That also helps to make it extra crispy
My turbo broiler broke in 2012, have not bought one since.
I was thinking of purchasing another one, but have no more counter space unless I do not mind a cluttered counter
Debating whether to get a sous vibe or turbo broiler.

1 Like

Yes, usually you see it more medium rare to medium. I wonder if the sous vide process would tenderize it enough to get away with a true rare? How was the texture of the skin after sous vide? It doesn’t look like it rendered much, other than during your searing - there’s still quite a thick layer. Were you able to get it crispy?

The texture of goose breast is probably not suitable to achieve a true rare. It’s denser and has more connective tissue. Getting it crispy is easy. If I’m not careful it could brown too quickly searing anything, in general.

It was rendering for quite some time and I already removed (and saved) a lot of fat, which never seemed to stop coming out. Goose has far more fat than duck.

Keep notes of everything you SV and record all your attempts, what works and does not work. When you have perfected it write it down and come back to it when you cook it again.

3 Likes

Worked late last night (and was thankfully not trying to get home during the torrential downpours), dinner was random desk snacks and then a packet of seaweed ramen i brought back from asia that was surprisingly good.

Tonight i made a proper dinner and made one of favorites, this spanish spinach and chickpeas dish. I basically follow this recipe but use twice as much spinach and skip the bread addition, comes together rather quickly. I wish i had thought to pick up some decent crusty bread. Small glass of reisling a la carte

5 Likes

It’s been way to hot the last week for cooking. So far dinner this week has been left over pulled pork and tri-tip sandwiches (from father’s day) and a big green salads. We are supposed to get some relief later this week so maybe I’ll get back to the kitchen!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s been hot everywhere. Go make yourself another cocktail or 5 :cocktail:

3 Likes

Yesterday. Cuttlefish 2 ways. Tentacles and bodies were SV’ed in separate bags as the tentacles needed less time. The bodies were big and thick, took something like 12hrs. Cleaning fresh cuttlefish is a pain, however.

Simply with onions and lots of garlic. There are several variations but I like this one. From my Culinaria Spain book, Valencia chapter.

I used Spanish saffron powder.

Cooked “a la plancha” with picada. I ate it in the Costa Blanca, the coastal area just below Valencia.

Today. SV tiny French chickens (400g each). Cheat versions of poached in broth (Chinese “white cut” chicken) and the other one is soya sauce poached. Got the idea from here.

I know it’s supposed to be eaten with cucumber and coriander, chillies and green onions etc but all I have got are herbs from the garden, asparagus and tomatoes as you can see here. Worked out great for me.

Can’t get the skin to colour like Chinese restaurant’s version. Something must be used on the fat to “hold” the soya sauce. Have to investigate. I also need to watch some video clip to learn how to nicely truss a bird.

4 Likes

Absolutely fabulous . Wow !!!:clap:

Precious little cooking has been going on chez moi. or, at least, my cooking. between the overtime at work, the baby goat tending, going out to dinner for friends and reviews, i’ve been in the kitchen i think once in the last two weeks. Sunday night i made pork satay without the skewers or a grill. Great spicy peanut sauce, cuke, cabbage, chili and shallot salad, and crispy marinated fried tofu with sweet chili sauce.

BF made super crispy chicken tacos one night…

and before that he tried his hand at an Almazan Kitchen dish (that fab Serbian dude who cooks outdoors) of pork (shoulder instead of loin) with balsamic and tomatoes over arugula.

oops, ETA… tonight’s dinner was flank steak fail - salted it in the fridge for the last 3 days and it got kinda jerky-ish (too lean) and also the BF pulled it off too early, so it was a bit rare. just a weird texture overall. he can salvage the leftovers (most of it) by cutting it up small and crisping it up for tacos. on the side i made papas arrugadas - the Canary Islands’ salt-crusted potatoes. Chimichurri over everything, and some stuffed mushrooms from Whole Foods my sister had that she wasn’t going to be able to eat before she went out of town. Potatoes were great. Shrooms were good and cheesy, but i am sure we could make better ones.

10 Likes