What's for Dinner #22 - 06/2017 - June is Bustin' Out All Over Edition

Lovely post, Linda! They are best of chums now it seems.

I had planned to eat this yesterday but the turbot was so massive it lasted 2 meals.

Might as well call it scotch cured salmon because it contains quite a bit more scotch than usual. I used Aberlour 12 years double cask matured, which I also drink. Gonna used peaty, smokey scotch next time for a change though it’s not the kind I prefer for drinking.

This is all. No need to complicate something simple and flavourful.

5 Likes

No pics, I know, no pic or it didn’t happen, but 5 oz fresh ground chuck burgers paired with sautéed corn off the cob and oven fries. Hit my buttons big time

4 Likes

Another Massaman curry with sweet potatoes tonight. But, we just don’t have an appetite in this heat and only ate small amount. So now there is a full quart of the stuff to be eaten tomorrow, or maybe Wednesday when it cools off a bit.

All baking scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed until Wednesday.

2 Likes

A rerun of last Saturday night . Eggplant Parmesan , lamb lollipops , and fried bread with goat cheese basil and olive oil. Wine to drink :wine_glass: Cheers

4 Likes

A simple meal. SV half chicken (previously) then briefly in the oven to get a crisp skin. Thigh and breast meat was tender and reasonably moist. Quite OK for a first try. It’s tricky to cook both white and dark meat together and expect the same result.

3 Likes

Holy Mother of HOT!!
The last few days have been way too hot for mid june in nyc!
Last night i had the rest of my brought it back from korea mul kimchi as an appetizer. So. Good. And now unfortunately gone… put together a chopped salad of all the veggies i had with lots of fresh cilantro and some sunflower seeds, several glasses of seltzer on ice a la carte. Unfortunately i woke up at 3am really hungry so that didn’t work for me as a meal… (3am snack = apple slices as a way to scoop up almond butter)

Another hot night tonight, made an emergency watermelon stop on my way home. But it’s too early in the season so the watermelon just tastes…wet. And pink. Ugh. I made a salad situation with the watermelon, lots of edamame, chopped english cucumber, red onion, capers, lots of fresh cilantro, and some olive oil and lemon. (I don’t get along well with feta otherwise that would have certainly been added too)
There’s a cup of greek yogurt in the freezer that I will have semi frozen with some honey, chia seeds and a handful of chopped nuts before bed to keep my tummy happy all night.

4 Likes

[quote=“Ttrockwood, post:66, topic:9779”]
made an emergency watermelon stop on my way home
[/quote] :smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Was in no way going near the kitchen tonight
Take out … wild salmon grilled in the fish store while I waited. I ran next door for a minute and picked up a side of escarole to accompany it and ate directly out of the take out container when I got home, too hot to wash dishes … I finally broke down and turned the AC on a few minutes ago and will probably get legionaries disease because I only washed the outer filter … Mittens retreated under the bed in an effort to save herself!

4 Likes

Heat wave in NYC is finally over but I still wasn’t feeling the kitchen! Luckily I had a package of pre-cooked chicken-basil meatballs from Costco in the fridge, so I sauteed some garlic in oil, tossed in the meatballs, then added a can of San Marzano tomatoes, a glug of wine and some herbs. Topped with parmesan and that was all she wrote. Hopefully I’ll get my cooking groove back tomorrow!

2 Likes

It’s hot here, too. Cold, savoury food because I can’t be arsed to do much cooking in this weather.

Panna cotta has pureed asparagus.

Grated cucumber.

Dill. Prawn stock from the same prawns on top, 1/2kg in total.

SV rhubarb and shaved raw asparagus.

Today.

Some leftover panna cotta went in the pasta.

Goat’s cheese panna cotta.

Rhubarb is better seen from this angle.

8 Likes

It drops 5 degrees Celsius today. Such a relief! That means I could eat normal food again. Warmer temperatures again this weekend, however.

SV chicken. I did the breast and the leg separately. Seen in photos is the breast. When I was done slicing the breast I realised there wasn’t much room left in the bowl for the leg and sauce.

In the sauce: dark “superior” soya sauce, ginger, garlic, shallots, Shaoxing wine, chicken powder, Sichuan “facing heaven” chillies.

Have an aversion to green onions but chives are OK.

Steamed beet greens (and rice) alongside. Have been drinking mostly white wine this week with cold food but today I thought the sauce was spicy enough and red wine would be fine. It was.

2 Likes

Thankfully the crazy hot is over! A texting conversation with my mom had me craving a waldorf salad of all things. (She is planning to make one for an upcoming party). My own version isn’t quite classic though… no grapes, no mayo. I do celery on a mandolin for chubby consistent slices, then chopped apples, half tart and half sweet, a generous handful of toasted chopped walnuts. Dressing is plain yogurt with salt and pepper and cider vinegar and a teensy bit of honey. Put that over some baby arugala. Delicious and easy, will definitely repeat this summer.

Tonight was a takeout/homemade hybrid- i went by H mart on my way home (well not really on my way!) and had a fun assortment of their premade banchan. Marinated soybean sprouts, pickled shredded daikon, some white kimchi, a mixed mushrooms thing… i had little plastic boxes everywhere! I made some “mixed grain” rice and added sliced firm tofu that i brushed with bulgolgi sauce (i think it’s funny bulgolgi sauce itself is actually vegan), then the various veggies in the bowl too. Very tasty and satisfying low effort meal with enough leftovers for breakfast/lunch tomorrow

4 Likes

I love H Mart
Unfortunately, the closest H mart in both directions are 90 min away, one way without traffic.
I go there for my vegetables, and fish fish!
I used to frequent H mart at least once a week o my way home from work, ( now retired).
You should be able to get their matured coconut and even young coconut from their
That was before they were DISCOVERED!
Price has gone up but nothing compared to Fresh Food for their fluke, ( one them steamed with soy sauce, mirin, garlic, ginger, dehydrated black beans, sesame oil rice wine), also love their Chilean Sea Bass, seared till crusty, with miso, wine, ginger, spring onion and sesame oil. However, the price of the Chilean Sea Bass has gone up from $12.99/pound to $22.00/ point lately.
Anyway, so so seafood, we just have locally harvested crabs from our pier and oysters.
Last night, we had 30 crabs caught from our pier and with spaghetti sauce and meatballs, plantain in coconut milk, plenty of booze, we dined with 3 friends.
Did not take picture bec it was so hot, wanted to eat outdoor but thunderstorm made us move indoor.
I have a fantastic chicken salad recipe that I got from SELECTA , a famous restaurant in Manila where my aunt had her coming out party . I was very young then, but the left her food were brought home . It is a dish that I make and place in freezer or chill before going out on the boat or hiking, one of my husband’s favorite for summer. You a vegan? Would share that bec some people tell me it is almost like a waldorf salad . There is also an alternative of fruit salad which was served during that occasion, and I go to H Mart for the supply of canned tropical fruits ( Jackfruit, special coconut called macapuno , a hybrid that is very sweet, nata de coco ? etc) in whipped cream and cream cheese which is a good summer dessert .

1 Like

Rain on and off here all day. We went to the organic yard to pick up mulch (free, but you have to shovel it into bags yourself) and it started pouring while we were there. We got soaked! We figured we might as well just stay wet and dirty for a while, so we spread mulch and weeded for another couple of hours. Of course, it stopped raining just as we finished!

We worked up an appetite for sure, so I made a salad with shaved asparagus, romaine, red bell pepper and lots of bacon with a creamy preserved lemon dressing, then Jasper White’s salmon burgers for our main. They are so good! Served with roasted cherry tomatoes in lieu of a sauce. I have ribs thawing for the smoker tomorrow!

1 Like

Sounds like a great dinner with friends you had! The H mart i go to is kind of small since it’s in manhattan but they pack a lot of products into that space and most importantly sell the korean rice cakes i love so much. Too bad you’re so far away from one now. I’m not vegan but am vegetarian (although dairy and i don’t get along well)

I do go to Costco every 2-3 weeks, stock up and from there go to Hmart or Great Wall. When I go to the airport ( for my son, there is a Lotte Plaza there.) hut they do m=not have much in terms of Chinese ingredient ( I am Chinese born in the Philippines)
Right now, am just cooking very ripe plantan, in coconut milk ( Chaoka brand) , and coconut sugar as breakfast or snack.
It is very simple, I find I do not need the tapioca pearls which I used to add to it.
I love plantan fried, barbecued or pan fried wrapped in spring roll covers ( the very thin ones from the Philippines , Simex brand and if I have on hand, I would spread some coconut hybrid called macapuno that comes in a jar between the layer of plantain prior to frying. )

1 Like

The real star of the show was the smelt. Lightly floured whole and fried in olive oil . Crunchy and delicious . Picked up some very fresh fish from the Farmers Market and all the vegetables for the for the ceviche . I used lime , lemon, and orange for the citrus . Good but boring ceviche . Wine to drink :wine_glass: cheers

4 Likes

Too hot to cook so we just had snacks for dinner. Later we had peach shortcakes. I used the Smitten Kitchen shortcake recipe for the cakes, marinated the peaches with a dash of cinnamon and a splash of Gulliano, and shook some cream in a jar until it was thick. Yum.

6 Likes

Gag-inducing heat today. Made this early in the day when it wasn’t so hot yet. Octopus was cooked sous vide previously so there wasn’t really much cooking besides boiling the potatoes then chucking in the seaweed before the potatoes were done.

Quite Spanish, this food.

4 Likes

Last night was really hot and sticky and gross so i wasn’t about to actually cook anything.
But! I did finally come very close to the amazing sesame cucumber side dish we had in shanghai that i am obsessed with. There was a specific sesame paste sauce to it, and i came close using some chinese sesame paste, black vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. I made a good sized bowl of it with one big english cucumber and then smeared some of the extra sesame sauce on some firm tofu (straight from the fridge and drained) and that was that.
While it was dumping rain yesterday i made a batch of coconut milk chocolate ice cream, so i had a scoop for dessert.

Early afternoon today i went to my friends’ informal last minute bbq, basically after we realized it wasn’t going to rain all day. I came home with some leftover grilled italian sausageless sausage, scallions and zucchini (everyone brings stuff and we end up with way too much food every time!) I just chopped up some romaine and added the leftovers chopped up with a simple vinegrette. Side dish was a random packet of salted plantain chips i got from the bodega when i stopped by for a cold water on my way home. There’s probably some chocolate coconut milk ice cream in my near future :wink:

3 Likes

too hot to cook esp since I found 3 ticks crawling on me after 5 hours of gardening.
So, for lunch, left over pizza ( made by my son last night) and for dinner for myself since my son is away again for the weekend, a simple new twist to my cooking because I want to incorporate coconut oil into my diet with increasing memory lost.

Our body is capable of converting only 2 types of fuels into energy, they are sugar and fats. When fat is converted to energy, it produces Ketones – a high fat and moderate protein diet that makes the body to go into a state called metabolic Ketosis. Ketones are found to improve the memory power by a large extend. The primary source of these Ketones is Medium – Chain – Triglycerides (MCT) and they are found in abundance on Coconut Oil.

I saute the peeled stem of Chinese broccoli with2 tbsp of coconut oil and garlic, then poached a tilapia fillet ( from costco ) briefly in chardonnay

till it flaked, add a splash of fish sauce, pepper and served with left over cauliflower rice sauteed in lots of olive oil, lemon juice , crushed red pepper and lemon zest, My son likes the cauliflower rice with reggiano but I like it plain.
It took less than 10 minutes, surprisingly good

3 Likes