What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

i would die for a bowl of that lentil and sausage dish right now…

2 Likes

Taco bowls for dinner last night, with gringo-style ground beef taco meat, grilled onions and red bell peppers, cilantro, pickled jalapenos, black olives and fresh chevre. This was a particularly good batch of meat, due in part to a new-to-me product I found at Restaurant Depot a few weeks ago - jalapeno powder. It added a nice fruity flavor and some heat without being overwhelmingly spicy. Nice thing to have in the pantry.

3 Likes

Since you will be growing jalapenos this year you can make your own powder! My husband also likes to have them sliced and frozen for pizza.

2 Likes

Liège meatballs based on the syrup maker’s recipe (but not verbatim as I don’t follow recipes). They don’t know I like to use some Bovril in a sauce or gravy. Anyway, nice juicy meatballs from eastern, French speaking part of Belgium. No idea what you can use in place of the Liège pear-apple syrup. I suspect I could use more raisins and some pom molasses.

I used a Dutch bock beer for the sauce. The meatballs are most commonly served with potatoes, cooked any way you like.

8 Likes

Great to be back home . I am so sick of restaurant food . Picked up a nice little veal chop , saute up some zucchini , fried white potato in oo , drizzle a couple drops of truffle oil . Good to go . Beer to drink:beer: Cheers

5 Likes

Dinner tonight at Not Your Average Joe’s with a former coworker catching up! Steak Frites for me, Butternut Squash Flatbread Pizza for her. Libations and lots of talk.

9 Likes

Your trout make me want some NOW, try to see if they are available in the market this weekend.

Wow, this dish looks really delicious especially I love mushrooms, but I am not sure I know this one.

The last 2 dinners.

Wednesday night, wanted to watch Top chef, so I cooked something fast and simple, some sort of shrimps pho, with soya bean sprouts, leek…some preserved tinnnnny Korean shrimps. (you can see that if you enlarge the photo).

Last week’s show, a 1 stared Michelin chef from Belgium was eliminated. I thought he would be the one who would win, but now, I’m not sure of anything anymore.

Yesterday night, lamb leg with Espelette pepper, lots of garlic, rosemary and thyme, 8 minutes in the oven. Sided with a salad and some potatoes sautéed with the same herbs + onion.

9 Likes

Another run to the market for something as a late lunch that i could eat quickly- there was this woman making these fat flatbreads in the middle of the market- which are certainly not chinese, but very popular. People were buying the little boxes of prepared toppings (sautéed veggies, sliced red sausages (?), chopped chicken something, mixed mushrooms etc and then at a little table there i saw a lady using the bread to scoop up the toppings from the box.
I just got the mushrooms (can’t.get.enough) and a basket of fresh mulberries! What a great find, i had only eaten dried ones before

Working dinner tonight i really didn’t have a choice and we went to this horrible americanized food place where the only vegetarian option was basically the salad without bacon and some side veggie dishes. SO lame, and disappointing since i fly out late morning tomorrow. Breakfast dumplings all had some sort of meat today so maybe i’ll get lucky and find airport dumplings…

2 Likes

It sounds like you are in food heaven. Next time, take us with you, please. :grinning:

2 Likes

Exploring local foods is one of my favorite parts of traveling! And this trip it’s a nice distraction in my day from the epic meetings and nonstop work while not actually sleeping more than 5hrs…
photo from just inside starbucks for you (aka caffeine at 6am since i am too embarrassed to call room service for a second round!)
It’s some sort of spring limited edition coffee and treats…?

3 Likes

Which NYAJ? That looks quite decent.

1 Like

Isn’t “flatbread” in China more of a Western China thing? There’s a lot of wheat non-noodle products out that way.

Methuen, MA. The menu changes at least quarterly, and service at the bar is always great. The bartendress was very solicitous of my co-diner, who had recently become vegan.

So glad this week is over. Take out Indian appetizers were dinner. Post-work bourbon with my partners and then wine with dinner. :dizzy_face:

7 Likes

Cheers :wine_glass:

1 Like

Adorable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm. I have absolutely no idea…!! I regret not trying one (and about a million other things i wanted to taste and yet ran out to time and tummy space to do).

Yesterday the guy who runs our guesthouse kindly took us to the nearest town so we picked up a few bits to cook. So last night was bok choi and shiitake mushroom omelette. The mushrooms were a bit weird. They were vac packed and didn’t cook down properly and were a bit rubbery.

For afters was cake from the wedding we were invited to along with homemade banana ice cream. We made this by mushing overripe bananas with condensed milk and used an old youghurt pot to freeze it. Not bad as it goes.

7 Likes

Surf and turf last night. We started with seared scallops and cherry tomatoes on a fennel salad with a ginger vinaigrette of sorts - I should have shaved the fennel instead of slicing by hand, because the texture was too crunchy and overwhelmed the scallops, but the flavors were good.

Then for the turf, grilled flap steaks and spicy haricots vents. Nice and tender.

8 Likes

Since I was gone for a while I am going big . Marinated chicken leg and thighs in a jerk seasoning I picked up from Spice Ace . Grilled over oak wood . I picked up a bag of baby artichokes from the FM . Carciofi alla giuda sounds good for them . Steamed baby yellow beets , boiled radishes , Canned Cannellini beans that I will add a small piece of smoked ham to, and fresh bay leaves . I think I have enough food . And a bottle of wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

6 Likes