What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

I am SO glad this week is finally done!! Yeeesh. I was also totally determined to actually make myself a Real Dinner so i made a quick stop for greens (and wine!) and then made my version of this “cromlet” recipe i found on bon appetite. I didn’t have a bunch of the ingredients they used and the whole recipe was kind of too fussy for me tonight.
I followed bittman’s recipe for socca which has you bake it in the oven

While it was baking i sautéed my chard and mushrooms (with soy sauce, not tamari which i am not a fan of) and made the fennel olive salad but used an olive mix from the olive bar at whole foods.

It was really tasty! I skipped the yogurt sauce and didn’t miss it at all. I kinda ate all of the salad so the leftover greens and socca will likely be breakfast

5 Likes

This was dinner, plus a crunchy and bitter salad. Fishmonger let me have 2 boxes of oysters for a good deal. She knows I pick up 1 every week anyway.

8 more weeks til asparagus season!

8 Likes

Jaeyook Kimchi Bokum, with homemade Lucky Peach kimchi. Have to say, so effing good.

9 Likes

Kimchi two ways. Yum and Wow that looks fantastic Maria.

1 Like

Gorgeous, glorious spring weather in NYC today! I fired up the smoker with a mixture of pecan and cherry, and just put in two fat pork shoulders. They should be ready by 6-7pm, so I have plenty of time to decide on sides. I bought some lovely haricots verts at Costco yesterday so perhaps those will make an appearance.

5 Likes

In Los Angeles, it is rain storms all weekend (possible dam collapse and evacuations up north! Sink holes swallowing cars in Hollywood! Freeways flooded!)

And so I cook:

Pierogi, meatball soup, goulash with thick egg noodles.

11 Likes

I love this.

1 Like

I haven’t listened to the news today and so much has happened?!

Love kimchi every which way, Mariacarmen! I see a trip to Korea on the horizon. Maybe it’ll even happen this year. We shall see.

Nothing adventurous today. Needed to use up the last of the lentils and smoked sausage. The white chunks are beetroots. Seen here is just a few leaves of palm kale (aka Tuscan kale) but I actually added a lot more at the end. They needed more time to soften. The whole thing stewed gently for a while in some chicken stock.

3 Likes

So much rain…for the first time ever we had to get sandbags from our local Fire Dept. That shit is heavy! :astonished:

We were in for the weekend and did a lot of cooking in the finished kitchen (and a lot of looking for things I put away in new spots).

Friday night we were wiped out after the stress of driving home on the flooded streets, and trying to keep on top of the water on the patio. Dinner was chicken samosas from the freezer and butter/soy sauce/Parmesan rice. There was wine.

Last night was Greek turkey meatballs (ground turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs, red onion, garlic, mint, parsley, oregano, and red pepper flakes) baked and served with tzatziki, pita, and romaine.

11 Likes

TJ’s pork belly with a blood orange juice, zest, honey, fresh ginger, and lavender glaze, Israeli couscous, and green beans.

Then some Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato with chocolate-filled raspberries topped with flakes of Maldon sea salt. The raspberries are amazing. Not easy to fill, but worth it! (Thanks to buttertart (from CH) for posting on a FB page about these raspberries - I had just bought some large Driscoll raspberries on a whim yesterday!)

9 Likes

Mojo chicken with black beans and rice

10 Likes

It was a freaky gorgeous day today in nyc! I took a long bike ride and met friends mid afternoon for a celebratory brunch (she’s finally pregnant!!!) - a pickle brine bloody mary appetizer and then we shared these rediculous pancakes

Not so hungry for dinner but salad sounded good, just greens with cucumber, olives, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas and sunflower seeds.

11 Likes

Leftover Turk bread from yesterday had to be used up so I turned them into garlic bread, but then to hold the meat in between 2 slices like a sandwich. Sliced some boned chicken thighs and marinated them with premixed kebab spice, grated turmeric, oil and a shot of sherry. It was delicious!

There’s some grated turmeric in the garlic oil. I always try to add grated turmeric whenever possible. Like the taste of it. So anyway, I just put all these down on the table, made a few photos and sat down to eat. The plates, cutlery and more salad are actually right next to the food.

9 Likes

I went on a cleaning frenzy today. Got a lot done. I need to get into these “frenzies” more often.

Thought I had a whole BISO chicken breast in my downstairs freezer. I was wrong. Plan #2 switched to b/s chicken breast. Then to find a recipe in my Mastercook software that would work with what was in my cupboards and fridge/freezer. This worked - Chicken & Asparagus with Mustard-Tarragon Sauce.

There’s wine. There will be more Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato with chocolate-filled raspberries. Because I need to fortify against having to go to work that must be done tomorrow.

6 Likes

Thighs and drumsticks in the pan with a light coating of flour cooked in butter and oo . Add whole cloves of garlic , fresh sage , and some thinly sliced lemon . When nearally finished a splash of wine . Sauteed zuchinni rounds . Canned small white beans with a little fresh rosemary added . Wine to drink .:wine_glass: cheers

7 Likes

I love the Talenti gelato double chocolate .

1 Like

Buckwheat “risotto” with butternut squash, topped with grated Pecorino. I boiled the butternut briefly, tossed with garlicky OO then put the tray under the grill. When the buckwheat was done I stirred in the butternut chunks. The broth for the buckwheat had marrow bones in it. I think that’s why the “risotto” tasted so good even without any meat.

Must make this more often and experiment with different ingredients.

4 Likes

those pierogi would make me very happy up here in (also) rainy SF!

i don’t even care about pancakes but i would devour those!

1 Like

those beans look luscious.