What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

I like their avocado sushi with the red rice/ quinoa combination
agree with you regarding the ginger … can’t get enough … same of wasabi

When the fridge is happy, EVERYBODY is happy! :wink:

And holy smokes - those scallops and steak looks amazing!

Clean out the fridge time for me this time of year usually ends up with me staring at a head of soft, slightly blackening cauliflower, some sad soft radishes, and a half head of yellowing napa cabbage. Not to mention the usual soft carrots, celery, and leeks.

February is the hardest month.

Well, technically, wouldn’t it be the softest month? :wink:

4 Likes

we don’t do Valentine’s Day, but the BF loves pasta and i don’t make it that often, so i made Emeril’s (with tweaks) meat sauce with conchiglie, garlicky, buttery garlic toast with his homemade bread, and a green salad. when you have good food, every day is Valentine’s Day, right?

10 Likes

Frustrating day. Lamb burger for dinner, sprinkled with Aleppo pepper, a garlic-herb blend, and lots of ground sumac and pan-fried. Topped with Cypress Grove Purple Haze Goat Cheese and spinach leaves.

Sweet potato fries and wine alongside.

11 Likes

Three egg omelette with shallot and some Fontina cheese . Chanterelles that I picked up yesterday for ten dollars a pound . Sauteed in butter . Served along side the omelette . :wine_glass: cheers

5 Likes

Omelette night here too. Swiss and white cheddar. Two strips of thick-cut bacon and some olives on the side (they were green, so that counts as a vegetable, right?).

3 Likes

Today was really nonstop, long, and freaking exhausting . I expect more of the same tomorrow.
I snacked on a handful of trail mix to avoid another desk dinner and just waited til i got home.
Classic hippie vegetarian meal of tofu scramble with lots of veggies- spinach, red bell pepper, mushrooms, scallions, a teensy pinch of black salt, lots of nutritional yeast and black pepper.
It took exactly one glass of wine from chopping to eating. Second glass while eating.
A vendor at work brought us little individually wrapped mochi, i’ll have one of those (and hope it’s the sesame kind, can’t read the characters, but i like all mochi) with tea for dessert.
Really looking forward to this rare three day weekend!

2 Likes

Just some leftovers. Roasted chicken and broccoli. Simple but paired well

6 Likes

Right . I had one small shalllot . That counts .

1 Like

Sounds like we are having the same kind of week!

Today was brutal. I had nothing but a small cup of coffee and half a semi flat diet coke until 5pm.

Dinner tonight was steamed snap peas tossed in hoisin sauce, stir fried Kung Pao Chicken where the sauce came from a package served over steamed bean sprouts to keep the carbs down.

1 Like

I think it was your rec. on Chow that made me try the recipe. So glad I did and have converted several others!

1 Like

This looks sooo drooly! I was just thumbing through a new Cuban cookbook I got on a deal and thinking about making beans and rice the other night.

Onion & garlic has been softened in the pan. A couple of thin gammon steaks have been chopped up (approx 2.5 cm squares) and browned. Lentils have gone in along with vegetable stock and pepper. It simmers till everything is just about cooked. A couple of handfuls of spinach goes in and wilts. Dinner is served, along with sourdough bread.

Time for the spinach…I’m gone…whooosh.

3 Likes

a perfect dinner.

Got home a bit later than usual and had to put on dinner as planned. Duck legs I braised a few days ago were reheated slowly in the oven. In the meantime I prepared the black radish gratin and boiled the Puy lentils. Turned on the grill to crisp up the duck skin near the end. Lentils were creamy with the addition of the cream from the gratin.

It was late for proper photos but I managed to grab one pic of the gratin.

Have a delicious weekend, everyone!

8 Likes

Left over seared tuna with sushi rice and an avocado salad

7 Likes

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Sure 'nuf…

Not home until 7:00 p.m. Too much HR shit today to deal with driving to Somerville for tapas and sangria. Maybe tomorrow.

So I’ll have more wine at home, with a baked tater with buttah, sour cream, salt and peppah.

That’ll do, pig. That’ll do.

11 Likes

The stuffed baked potato thing is really just so comfy/warming/simple/satisfying…

3 Likes