What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

Thanks Maria.

I never use a pressure cooker with black beans. Cooked stove top and or oven with the Cuban “trinity”, onions, garlic and green peppers. A few bay leaves and oregano infuse nice essential flavors. A good pour of olive oil makes it shine.

3 Likes

Haha, you know i really don’t go straight for them either but the new mommy to be had a craving and needed serious pancake action so i figured i could fall on my sword for her and split them :wink: the photo doesn’t do them justice, must have been 10" across and 1" thick!

3 Likes

i’m going to make some very soon. i just found this recipe, before i read your response, and it looks pretty similar to what you’re describing (minus the olives). another plus - Pelaez is my mother’s maiden name!

1 Like

A quick dinner after a late work night. Burgers hit the spot. Ground chuck seared in cast iron with caramelized onions and fixings. Oven fries as a side. Give me a great burger over a steak most days

8 Likes

Yesterday was another gorgeous day although not quite as warm but i still wanted a salad dinner. I used shredded napa cabbage, chopped cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, scallions, lots of fresh cilantro, some cubed smoked tofu, and a vinegrette heavy on the dijon and black pepper. I made this great savory granola and gave the salad a good handful of that too. I used cashews instead of pistachios since that’s what i had, and a flax egg instead of the egg white since i don’t really keep eggs around either.

Today was chilly again, got home a bit late- for dinner i found pureed tomato white bean cashew soup in the freezer and perked it up with a food squeeze of lemon and a pile of cilantro, topped with lots of the savory granola

4 Likes

Made a Rick Bayless recipe for pork chili colorado (or red enchilada sauce) this weekend, second time making it - to. die. for. this time i simmered the pork shoulder right in it. super tender, incredibly flavorful. dried chilies are split and flattened, pan toasted, garlic in its skin is toasted in the same pan, the chilies soak in warm water, then the whole thing is blended with some cumin and oregano, strained, and then fried, before adding stock. SO freakin’ good, so smoky and silky!

fried a couple of tiny tortillas and an egg each, topped with queso fresco, scallions, jalapeno and cilantro. ay chihuaha, buenisimo!

12 Likes

Saw the picture before I saw the poster and immediately thought I like this, I want this.

Beautiful food Maria. I want to eat at your table

1 Like

I am so going to make that recipe this weekend .

1 Like

thank you! it’s sooooo good, really.

hope you love it as much as we did!

Looks delicious, Maria. (And more crispy eggs for us :punch:)

Only had to steamed the palm kale and cook the rice. the Roasted pork bought from a Chinese restaurant in the next town. It’s one of those days when you look forward to the wine more than the food because you have little energy left at the end of the day. Just this wretched, non-stop rain since last night. Got drenched by the rain twice.

6 Likes

so, this is the recipe i followed, which says it’s taken from Rick Bayless, but the Rick Bayless recipes i see have tomatoes added, and i think that would actually ruin the sauce. i’m not being dramatic when i say that - i made an enchilada sauce recently with tomatoes in it and it was awful. tomatoes, in my NOT humble opinion, have no place in this sauce.

also, i used a variety of chilies, not just guajillo - i used guajillo, pasilla, negros, and i’ve used others in the past. i even threw in a couple of dried Bolivian chilies i had.

2 Likes

Thanks Maria . I won’t use tomatoes . I can get all the chilies at our local Hispanic market .

1 Like

that pork looks divine!

1 Like

Working through bits and bobs in the freezer and fridge.

A half bag of pizza dough was stretched onto a lightly oiled pan. A hamburger was crumbled and cooked, and some broccoli florets were roasted. Some tomato sauce, tomato paste, roasted garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar were mixed together for the sauce. And mozzarella was grated and sprinkled with some Parm-Reg.

Into a hot oven (should have slid it directly on the hot pizza stone; wasn’t thinking) for baking.

Et voilà - pizza. Some for tonight and some for tomorrow’s work lunch. Plus a glass of wine. Dinnah.

8 Likes

Had a hot pastrami sandwich for lunch which was like a gut bomb . Tired from work and not that hungry . So it’s a chicken pot pie for dinner and wine to drink :wine_glass: Cheers

6 Likes

We are apparently trying to cram five full days of crazy into four this week.
Instead of lunch we had a long postponed and yet neverending (stressful!) meeting with the creative director. So i found something for lunch around 4pm and although i worked late i avoided a desk dinner and made something quick when i got home.
In my head i call this Hiyayakko Tofu like at japanese restaurants- but in reality it’s just a big chunk of chilled good tofu i dribbled with soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, scallions, and furikake. ;)) side of smacked cucumbers with similar stuff on it/in it. Took almost one glass of wine from fridge to sit down and eat.
Dessert will either be an apple with mixed nut butter (or a spoon with mixed nut butter) and a big mug of tea.

7 Likes

i love that cold tofu dish. been too long since i made it, great for lunches. thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m in the middle of a live recording of The Exorcist! Well, it does feel like it. The storm has been raging since this afternoon. All my doors and windows rattle like mad it’s hilarious, really. Even the letter box makes noise. Today is my pub day but I didn’t go due to this storm. At least I did go swimming earlier and got home just in time, escaping the storm by a hair’s breadth.

Made dinner was made with clam meat from the freezer and seaweed that comes with the oysters. I used a prawn flavoured paste for noodle soup to season the clams. Noodle soup for me, rice for the partner. I also ate the clams alongside my soup.

Soup broth made with marrow bones. Delicious but also rich.

8 Likes

Picked up some ground lamb that I will form into a patty . Cook in ci skillet along with some whole cloves of garlic and fresh sage . A squeeze of lemon on top when finished . Steamed broccoli florets , and leftover white beans . Beer to drink from North Coast Brewing ( Red Seal ) .:beer: cheers

7 Likes