What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

Yes, I made the pasta and the sauces. Simple dough (I think Lida’s recipe), rolled out as thin as I could, rolled up and sliced. I let the ribbons rest for about an hour and then cooked for a few minutes.

4 Likes

Thanks! Did you ever try to add the truffle in the pasta?

I got gifted a pasta machine in Christmas, will be start making some pasta soon! (Next week, I hope)

Actually, it’s not even a real sole and has no lemon taste. The name comes from French sole limande. It’s one of the common flatfish native to northern Europe. Still cheap enough and has sustainable status.

Thank, all!

:smile_cat:

10 Likes

Is that kitty yours? Great markings on it!

Told my boyz that for Valentines Day I’d like the gift of no hairballs. So far so good! (Knock on wood since there’s still 3 hours to go.)

2 Likes

Sooo Valentine’s- dinner was Serious Eats mussels in coconut -lemongrass broth.

Then, beef and asparagus stir fry with sesame seed and porcini mushrooms- this was very good.

Dessert- store bought strawberry cheesecake. I’m not a huge dessert person. This was too sweet for my liking but my son and husband lapped it up!

5 Likes

One of my wife’s favs. Seared tuna for V day

8 Likes

God, I wish I could get tuna where I live!

Your meal sounded more interesting. I find seared tuna boring

1 Like

I guess, it can be pretty boring. I like it as sashimi or poke style with some Asian flavor to it or a bit of Latin influence.

I guess I’m just a bit of a sucker for a nice looking piece of fish. We were in Mexico for two weeks and had a lot of great fish. I reside in the middle of Canada in a smaller center with no international airport closer than 3 hrs- this makes “fresh” seafood a bit of a stretch at times.

You have my sympathies. I grew up in the area Scubadoo lives and took fresh fish for granted. When I moved to middle Tennessee and then Asheville catfish was about the only fish available which was good. I’m thankful I’m now close enough to the coast and can source a variety of fresh options.

2 Likes

@meatn3, no, I wish. It’s too cute I had to snatch the pic. Also, I like the way he sits.

Hardly have the time to cook something complicated on wednesdays and thursdays. Made something with what I have in the house today: store-bought Spätzle, king trumpets, and Speck (onions and garlic as well. Always). Lots of grated Comté just before digging in.

naf, I have not tried adding anything to the pasta itself. Maybe a future project.

1 Like

Butterflied thick pork chop wich I will pound thin . Then stuff with Fontina cheese , sauteed hedgehog mushroom with shallot . Then will cook in ci skillet with butter and sage . Baby white potatoes browned along side the pork chop . And steamed green beans . Bottle of wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers

5 Likes

I did a major freezer defrost/reorganization on Sunday. I’m focusing on eating down the frozen assets. Tonight is a chicken curry defrosting. All I recall is chicken, garbanzo beans, onion, garlic and ??? Hopefully it will be tasty!

3 Likes

Fridge is clean of leftovers. Time to cook.

Egg pappardelle, broccoli florets, and sauteed chicken, mixed with a caramelized onion cream sauce. Not too shabby.

There was wine.

10 Likes

Made black beans. Cuban/Spanish style with a few bay leaves and some Greek oregano, bell peppers, onion and garlic.

Love making them and make them often. Paired them with Aldi pork belly which I warmed up with the Anova at the highest temp until it was hot through out and then it was was seared in the Darto carbon steel pan to render fat and brown up. Sliced it up and served with reduced bag juices along with the beans

13 Likes

My fridge was nearly empty and no time to get to the store, so I plundered the freezer and found ground beef and frozen cauliflower. Shepherd’s (or Cottage, I suppose) Pie time. Beef sauteed with onion, garlic, fennel fronds and sage (the only green things in the fridge!), then simmered with a little tomato paste, a splash of wine and stock. Cauliflower boiled soft then pureed with goat cheese, smoothed over the beef and topped with white cheddar before a quick brown in the oven. Good on a cold and rainy night!

5 Likes

Oooh, that Zahav hummus is my favorite! Really made me understand how hummus could actually be THE centerpiece of a meal and not just another dip or condiment.
Sorry but that soup sounds kinda weird… and bitter/sour. Serious eats has been really reliable for me for recipes so that’s weird it was a clunker.

This week unexpectedly took a turn towards crazy at my office. Again. Sigh.
So for my valentine’s dinner i worked late, and then detoured the new location of whole foods not too far from my office. Avocado sushi (white rice normal one) to go with a side of extra pickled ginger because i freaking love that stuff. at home i made some steamed edamame and bowl of miso with lots of tofu and scallions. Expensive dark organic single origin fancy someshit chocolate squares from near the register were dessert with my tea.

We ordered in tonight for a depressing desk dinner, although my tofu summer rolls were pretty good and my vegetarian tom yup cup of soup was tasty. Hoping to escape at a decent time tomorrow night and make my own meal!

5 Likes

Not too bad for desk meal!

Looks like everybody is cleaning out their fridge. Will do this weekend, the fridge guy is coming AGAIN next Monday. My fridge after the repair, shut down on its own (depending on it’s mood?!) Oh well, hope the guy could make it happy again.

@Scubadoo97 your black beans with pork belly looks good. I seldom made bean dishes because H hates bean. I will try to cook more beans for lunch when I’m eating alone.

Yesterday was in wondering in market of Censier in the 5e. I got a beautiful piece of beef 1.6kg (haha for only 2 of us), also got some scallops and razor shells and some pastries!

The scallops were seared briefly in a very hot pan, with a light yuzu sauce and mango, mint and chive.

Oven grilled this prime rib steak, avocado and mango with Vietnamese fish sauce.

Pastries from Carl Marletti - lemon tart, passion fruit and chocolate and 2 éclairs 1 with orange and nuts, the other carmel with salty butter

Razor shells will be for tonight!

11 Likes