What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

Beans don’t sound exciting but I’m really loving this version i made again today. I used a package of fancy beans i bought a while back at the farmers market, then followed this recipe but i swapped in veg stock from veg better than bullion and i used coconut cream instead of dairy. I topped with some chopped cilantro and green onion and slurped every last bit from my bowl that i had as lunch as well as the one i had for dinner. The rest will be lunches this week

8 Likes

A simple halftime dinner of spicy-sweet wings and a hybrid coleslaw of chopped cabbage, grated carrots and radishes, chopped broccoli and crispy bacon with a buttermilk dressing.

The wings goop consisted of chili-garlic sauce, honey, minced garlic, fresh lime juice, freshly grated ginger, chopped peanuts, and ketchup. It was fair. I need to tutoring in making good icky-sticky gooey wings.

There’s wine. Damn straight there’s wine. GO PATS!!!

6 Likes

Had to do pizza for the Super Bowl! This was my first attempt at pizza in our new house, which came with a totally substandard oven. My crust recipe was designed to cook to perfection in 6 minutes in my old oven at 550 with convection. This oven only goes to 500 and lacks convection entirely, so even 8-9 minutes wasn’t getting the top adequately browned, and the crust was still a bit gummy inside. I fixed that with a visit to the broiler after 8 minutes in the oven, but still - I feel a new oven may be in my future. My husband requested lemon bars for dessert and they didn’t come out quite right either. The lack of air circulation in this oven is incredibly annoying.

Even so, the pizzas were delicious! The first one was pepperoni, jalapeno and green olive, the second was my “Great White,” which has a roasted garlic bechamel sauce and is topped with a blend of four melting cheeses and dollops of ricotta.

11 Likes

Smoked chicken leg quarters and wings and 72 hr132.5 f short ribs with sweet potato fries and salad

9 Likes

Congratulations :smile: I imagine you are one happy camper right now

1 Like

I really have to try the creamy broth beans. I was wondering what to do with all the coconut milk I seem to have accumulated lately. Plus I have some beautiful beans from San Francisco that I want to use before they get too old.

I’ll let you know how they come out.

I made a batch of brothy beans yesterday . Rancho Gordo cranberry beans cooked with some smoked pork chop . You can omit if your veg . onion, grated carrot , and a little celery . The key is the whole peppercorn and using a fair amount of fresh bay leaves to give the flavor . I cook the crap out of them until half the pot is creamy and the rest have the bean intact . Finish in the bowl with grated Parma and oo . No soaking . Delicious .

4 Likes

Made a brisket for the Super Bowl using this Serious Eats recipe. 4 lb prime brisket from Costco, sous vide at 68C for about 32 hrs. No smoker so finished in the oven. Came out pretty well, tender and fatty.

9 Likes

Bravo .:clap:

Baked pasta. Sauce was red onion, lots of red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, ground bison, a bit of rotisserie chicken, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Mixed the sauce with some pasta, buffalo mozzarella, and provolone. Everything into two casserole dishes. Tonight’s pan was topped with Parmesan. The second pan went into the freezer.

6 Likes

Oooh, i’ll have to try that next- i have an unholy amount of bay leaves and peppercorns from penzey’s already! Sundays always seem like a good day for simmering beans

Sounds like you’re good to go! They need more salt than you would think- this was a nice twist to how to make beans I’ll surely repeat again this winter

A very tired, stunned, amazed, and very happy camper. :grin: :football: :trophy:

But I’m not going to the Duck Boat Parade tomorrow. Anywhere from 500K to 1M people are going to be in downtown Boston. I don’t do crowds very well anymore.

1 Like

I completely understand … I was there on Patriots day a few years ago … Yikes

1 Like

Wait - Patriots Day a few years ago? During THAT Marathon?

Year before …thank God!

2 Likes

I’m probably the only one here who eats and loves roe (or has access to). It’s delicious, to me. :punch:

I sometimes put the wine bottle strategically near the food to block out the harsh light above the table. Otherwise the harsh light will overexpose and ruin part(s) of the image.

These roe sacs are the one in the foreground, one with the near transparent membrane. Don’t know what fish it’s from but it’s so good. The fishmongers probably don’t know either. They gut and throw the sacs in the container. I shall ask next time.

4 Likes

Beans are exciting. I love beans, all kinds, @Ttrockwood.

@LindaWhit, doesn’t the honey take care of the sticky part? Have you tried hoisin sauce in the marinade? Makes the wings gooey.

@biondanonima, I’m partial to red-sauce pizzas but your Great White does look tempting. You got me at it has cheeses and garlic! :+1:

@Scubadoo97, the smoked chicken bits look awesome. I don’t like deep fried anymore (last time was when I was a teenager) but smoked like yours oh yessssssss!

@emglow101, when a recipe calls for 1 (one) bay leaf I use 10. Love the smell, and besides, I have a laurel bay plant in the garden. Hope you had some substantial amount of wine for afters.

@Mr_Happy, stupendous brisket.

2 Likes

I have a laurel bay also in the garden. I do the same with the bay leaves . One will do nothing . I added more than ten . Beans came out wonderful with the bay ; had plenty of wine for after.

3 Likes

I thought it would do that, Presunto, but it didn’t get as sticky as I had hoped. Hoisin would definitely have done the trick; perhaps I’ll try a mix that includes that next time.

1 Like