What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

No, haven’t had the pleasure but Cobia get big so bet there is some good meat on those ribs

Edited to add, I’ve seen grouper collar sold as wings or ribs in restaurants

[quote=“Ttrockwood, post:159, topic:6716”] i made a quick guacamole that i scooped up with a toasted sturdy pumpernickle.
[/quote]

Gotta be honest with you, that does not sound like an appealing combination.

Haha! Well i call it guacamole but it was really just smooshed avocado with some lemon and salt… woulda been better with tortilla chips but i don’t keep those around much

Dinner last night was a quick (and late) pasta carbonara. Tonight should be fun as we have a reservation for a four course paella dinner. And,mince the little cafe has no liquor license we can bring our own wine.

This afternoons project is turning the morning’s FM haul into red sauce. Some will be reduced for pizza and the rest will go into the freezer.

5 Likes

It’s about time for another gratuitous cat shot:

5 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is going to decadent H’orderves . Picked up some nice squash blossoms from the FM . I am going to stuff them with a mix of goat cheese mixed with black truffle , then dip in a light batter and fry . Also making a tarte flambee . That heart stopping goodness . Puff pastry topped with crème fraiche , onion , and bacon . A bottle of bubbly to drink .

6 Likes

A good shopping day with Mom, and I got my unpasteurized apple cider @ Cider Hill Farm (along with apple cider donuts, one of which will be dessert, and some more apples - Arkansas Black, which I’ve never had, and some more Northern Spys). Lousy drive home in a downpour, but made it home safely.

Something easy-peasy for dinner - Skinny Orange Chicken from Gimme Some Oven’s blog. I added sliced and sauteed carrots, celery, and the remaining rainbow bell pepper. Wine.

I watched Divergent this afternoon; will watch the 2nd movie tonight.

5 Likes

2½lb Porterhouse, Pastitsio, Greek Salad:

5 Likes

I made sous vide steak for men and chickpeas for me.

4 Likes

Last dinner in Montreal. This time $45/pp, no meat as requested by me. The lighting at the counter is worse than at the table. I must be the only one who doesn’t like eating in the dark and with (loud) music.

2 of the most essential foods in Montreal

Lightly cured salmon

Salmon tartare with caviar

The plate

I forgot to brush the foam aside… It was very good tuna tartare. With a touch of sesame oil. The sauce has sambal oelek in it but other than that I don’t remember what the sauce was exactly.

No dessert for us so this was the last thing.

What I saw in front of me

The young chef

His stuff is both cast iron and steel.

5 Likes

Yesterday. I forgot how to use my camera after 5 weeks.

3 Likes

We had a blast at our local cafe’s paella dinner. Amuse was a bacalao croquette which we inhaled before I remembered a photo. Salad with green beans, squash, and radishes with a mushroom toast on the side. DH had paella de carne (brisket, sausage, and chorizo), and I had paella de mariscos (shrimp, clams, mussels, squid, and fish). Both were very good with the meat version having a rich deep flavor and the fish being light and clean with a bright tomato finish. They offered additional servings of the paella if you wanted more or to try another kind. Dessert was pumpkin flan.

7 Likes

Was this at Gasolina?

Yes. It was their last Paella Nights for the year. We spent some time talking with Sandra, the owner and also got to talk with the man who roasts all their coffee. Every seatless taken for the 8pm seating and it was really nice to see the neighborhood supporting a small local business.

1 Like

Flu shot - Check.

Quick stop at the stupidmarket - Check.

Calvados found - Check. (After going to 3 liquor stores and FINALLY finding it in one I didn’t expect to. And don’t tell me Laird’s Applejack is the same thing. It ain’t.)

Patriots game won - CHECK. (Not that I had anything to do with it except wearing my Patriots sweatshirt and jumping up and down and yelling “GRONK!” when appropriate.)

Coupla pork chops marinated in an apple cider brine for half the day - apple cider, brown sugar, salt, crushed peppercorns, bay leaf, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme sprigs. Removed from the brine, sprinkled with Penzeys’ Tsardust seasoning, and pan-seared, with a drizzle of Carr’s Cider House Cider Syrup (a birthday gift from Mom).

Maple-Aleppo sweet potato mash, and roasted Brussels sprouts sprinkled with Penzeys’ Sunny Spain seasoning, and my Triple-Apple Applesauce using some of my antique apples alongside. Wine.

6 Likes

I had just looked at their menu online a few days ago, which is how I knew! I’ve been wanting to try it for a while now.

Well, when they start again in spring, let’s plan to meet up!

1 Like

Pizza night. First pie was carmalized chipollini onions, chard sautéed with red pepper and garlic, bacon, and mozzarella. Second pie was tomato sauce, pancetta, oregano, and mozzarella. Both were cooked on the baking stone on the grill. Just about perfect!

8 Likes

Will be curious to hear your thoughts. I tasted one off the tree at an orchard a couple of years ago and nearly spit it out - like tobacco-leather flavored sawdust. One of the workers saw my reaction and told me that they are not meant to be eaten off the tree - they are a cultivar designed for long-term storage, and taste much better after they’ve been cellared for a few months. I didn’t have cellar space to find out!

VERY good to know, thanks biondanonima! I bought 6 of them; 1 was brought in to work today. When I eat them at work, I cut them into eighths and peel the skin. So we’ll see how they are that way. And I would probably have to “cellar” them in the garage, as that would be the coolest place in my house, other than the spare fridge in the garage - which is probably too cold.