What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

I don’t think I can’t get into skate wing too much. I’ve tried. I’ve caught so many fishing over my life that it could be mental…and this is coming from a guy that intimately knows how ugly a monkfish is. I just think monk wins with a bit hardier (maybe chewier/denser) texture, a slightly sweeter flavor, and a thicker bite. I hear skate is the rage in Europe. Man if I had a dollar for every skate I’ve caught, life would be better lol. When you buy skate do you fillet the wing? Next summer I’ll mess around with making some myself. Near me they are around, but haven’t taken off yet big time.

Some pulled pork tacos tonight

@TtRockwood looks tasty. Vegetarian?

2 Likes

Nice Trock , My secret ingredient when doing braises is Cider .

That just makes me drool with jealousy!

Just curious, what else do you use with the dill? I’ve never used dill in anything Vietnamese I’ve made. I’m curious about the flavour profile?

I got home late from work and was bagged. Tonight’s Paella turned into 2lbs of perfectly cooked mussels in a sauce made of garlic, onion, red pepper, olive oil, saffron, tomato, white wine and bay leaf. Fresh ground pepper to finish. My husband inhaled them in record time. Quite impressed with the size of these fatties.

2 Likes

We eat a lot of herbs including dill. Just in a salad, often with fish, something Turkish (the Turk use quite a bit of dill, surprisingly) etc. But since I make gravlax often there’s no problem using up dill at all.

This Vietnamese fish with dill meal is easy to make, this site has the recipe. I use fresh turmeric roots which I usually make by pounding it and add some good olive oil for all kinds of things. You can just use the powder of course. Try it! (I ate it last week in Montreal)

Oh no, sorry to hear you can’t eat cheese! Has it always been like that though? Some people develope an intolerance later on in life.

I haven’t even made my first braise or stew this autumn. Soon. This week there’s quite a bit of game meats to go through. They are on sale at various supermarkets and the market.

Skate wings are quite common in Europe, more so along the north western coast and all the way down to Greece. Have been eating it since I was a child. Love the firm flesh and I even eat the cartillage! The wings are sold already skinned. Sometimes whole small skates as well but I never get that. I have grilled it, braised it, seared it, stir-fried it.

I used to eat monkfish all the time til food programmes made it kind of popular and the price has been going up ever since. Still eat it but preferably when the fishmonger gives me a deal.

What’s your favourite fish then if you are not so into skate? I have eaten all kinds of flatfish commonly found in north western Europe (where I live) but my favourite is brill. Still cheap and plentiful. I’ve been worrying for years that some chefs are going to praise it and suddenly it becomes expensive. Just like everything I like, it either becomes expensive all of a sudden or discontinued.

I love fish, especially shellfish. After a while you’ll notice (in my previous photos) I often eat (razor) clams, oysters, crabs ect :pig2: (Though never swamp-tasting fresh water fish)

1 Like

I had an amazing soup at Erven in Santa Monica, and didn’t find anything on google, so I had to replicate it through trial and error. This is the last of a quart I made two days ago.

Tomato Kimchi Soup

Tomorrow, I make another batch.

4 Likes

Although I could never eat this because of my allergy to chilis, it sounds like a good combination.

We’ve had that dish in situ in Hanoi and I swooned. My partner-in-crime, did as well but not from the food, but it could’ve been the extreme heat and the heat coming off the sterno.

2 Likes

Oxtail, collards and potatoes

7 Likes

Extra super lazy this evening . Leftover chicken thighs , frozen peas cooked in butter . Had a pretty big lunch .

1 Like

Is the dough homemade? if yes, can I have the recipe? Recently I have bought some Italian 00 flour, waiting to have the time to make mine.

Looks delicious, I never tried this before, will try to make one soon. Do you know the name of the dish?

In Vietnamese Chả Cá Thăng Long, the fish dish, they use a lot of dill in the cooking. We ate twice in this Hanoi restaurant. Fantastic!

In France, they also like to associate dill with lemon and fish…

===========================================

Last night mean is pan fried skirt steak (hampe) and spider steak (Araignée de boeuf), spider one is very tender, quite difficult to find. Plus a grapefruit salade from Ottolenghi, I don’t have red onion, I substituted with shallot, and the leaves with mâches, lamb’s lettuce, basil herbs with basil oil, lemon juice with yuzu juice.

This month’s the French magazine Fou de cuisine has a special highlight on Ottolenghi, this is the second recipe I tried. I saw several of his books are translated in France, looks like he is one of the hot guy for special regime.

1 Like

I couldn’t edit the post even though I have this pop up box to modify, must be the 59 minute 50 second…sorry for the spamming.

The restaurant was Chả Cá La Vong. The version we had more sauce / oil than the version shown in @Presunto 's link.

Recipes just seem to call it west african peanut stew… I’m sure it has a proper name…the version i make is kind of my own based on a vegan one i found long ago. Don’t be shy with the peanut butter (and whisk it in well) and it needs a generous hand with the salt/soy sauce.
Food52 published a version a while back but it doesn’t have enough pb or any tomato paste, and i tweak the proportions and ingredients quite a lot, but that would be a good starting point. I’ve made it many times for omni friends and family and it’s a crowd pleaser

1 Like

Thx for the elaboration. I found the name, it’s called Maafe.

1 Like

I’ve had dill with fish before- typically with lemon and white wine .

I had just never seen dill come up in Vietnamese recipes that I’ve cooked. Albeit my Vietnamese cooking has been limited, I’ve never come across it eating out either but I may have overlooked it in the menu.

I’m interested in trying the combination.

Thanks for the tips!

Pork burgers (ground pork, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, mince onion, and fresh cilantro), topped with a runny egg and some korean bbq sauce. Side was a shredded veggie slaw. This was really good and only took about 20 minutes.

3 Likes

Smoked in an old wok with Sichuan peppercorns, Orange Pekoe tea, and some aromatic wood chips. Finished in the oven. Still nice and pink in the middle. Intensely smokey. There’s fresh rosemary between the breasts.

The other side has no marks left by the wire rack. Next time you’ll see it.

Because autumn.

8 Likes