What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

Interesting. At least you know you have tried and it’s not your thing. Nothing wrong with that. It’s the same for me when it comes to Indian food. I can’t get into it. I even makes me physically sick. I’ve tried and tried and tried.

I’m totally a “Saurkrauthead”. Love all things with Sauerkraut. Even eat it as a snack.

Nice lunch, Naf. It’s the right time for Choucroute garni at home (crappy autumn weather). I look forward to eating Sauerkraut when I am home again.

The partner enjoyed the pastries. I just had a bite of each and that was quite enough.

Tried smoked meat sandwich across the street from Schwarzt’s today just to compare. Well, no wonder Schwarzt’s gets all the business. I ordered and went to wash my hands. The food came and it turned out the meat was lean. My fault for not mentioning medium or full fat and they assumed I wanted lean.

2 Likes

When I first came across choucroute, I disliked the acid cabbage. I also disliked the cornichon prickles, I think I didn’t get this sour taste in French food. Some years later, I accidentally tasted some good sauerkraut and loved it this time. Same with pickles. I think some taste need to learn, or some things we don’t like because the food are not prepared in a correct way.

I like Indian food, although my digestion system doesn’t, so I can’t eat a lot.
I was travelling in Thailand a few years back, I wasn’t hot about the Thai food, for me it’s a mismatch of different favours, quite messy in taste. I just didn’t get it. I kept wondering why people were so crazy about Thai cooking. For 2 weeks, we were eating Thai day and night, we got really fed up (also because spiciness). Until the last 2 meal, we went to really good restaurants in Bangkok with chefs caring about the right dose of spices, the cooking were sublime, we changed our mind from then on!

I think I would prefer the fatty version. The lean version seems a bit dry.

The trick with Schlactplatte is that the sauerkraut needs to be washed and cooked properly. Lots of people, even chefs, don’t do this correctly. It’s also a little more delicate than people think, you have to be careful not to over cook it.

But you might just not like Kraut.

1 Like

Last Vietnamese meal in Montreal. Saw Vietnamese at the next table eat this on my first visit and I wanted to try it today. This is a restaurant run by North Vietnamese so I thought they would get it right. Not sure if there was any turmeric used but I could barely see or taste it. And there wasn’t any dill, fennel and the fronds yes, but no dill. I had this meal in Ha Noi and it was a bit different. Maybe they tweak it to appeal more to local taste.

Last Pho noodle soup.

The fish and all the components. The plate has an awkward shape and is as wide as the little table. Little bowl has a brownish sauce is fermented shrimp sauce.

How it’s eaten.

2 Likes

Hit up the Mercado today. So we have steak tacos on blue corn tortillas with queso fresco, fresh Jerseyhatch, green onion, cilantro and green zebra heirloom tomatoes:

Drink is a green apple Snapple: ice tea, apple cider, citrus seltzer and a lime.

The tortillas were really fresh and delicious.

3 Likes

I never tried blue corn. What’s the difference in taste when compared to the white or yellow ones?

Probably just my imagination, but the blue corn seem to have a little more intense corn flavor and are maybe a little denser.

But I’m sure blindfolded I couldn’t tell the difference.

I’m a zombie. Probably go back to bed soon. Just got home last night, and this was lunch when I woke up. Would have to do til I could get to the shops (if I don’t fall asleep again).

Brought back from Spain and France.

Smokey squid

4 Likes

Is that pulpo I see?

Toothpick please !:grin:

Wow. Superjelly.

Lunch was reinvented from leftover dinners a few nights ago. Steelhead trout, asparagus, corn and zucchini

4 Likes

Another reinvented lunch from yesterday’s leftover shellfish. The colour of the rice comes from the sauces that came with the shellfish. I didn’t season at all, the sauces took care of that.

I don’t eat rice more than once a week (not a big fan) but this was good.

I just piled some rice on a plate. Don’t know how to make rice look “nice”.

The rest of my lunch.

Last thing I ate before boarding. Ate them all the way home. Last 2 were eaten with soup broth when we got home, then went to bed shortly afterwards because we were so fking tired.

3 different kinds of Banh Mi.

Last IPA at the airport. We got $16 left thinking it would be enough for 2 beers. Turned out it was only enough for 1 beer. Airport price. $9+ then taxes and tips on top of that.

It’s good to be home, especially the one you own! I couldn’t wait to leave! Must be old. Wherever I go I just want to go home!

2 Likes

Yesterday. First herrings in 6 long weeks! Still pink and buttery, almost like in spring. I’m so lucky to have a good fishmonger.

THIS is what good herrings should look like.

Misanthropic bliss. Half of the way I cycle next to a “river”. It is actually a river, just a narrow one.

Forgot to post this last week. My last lunch in Montreal. Again, monstrous portion size and they are “small”.

With their grilled chicken bits and choriço.

Last Portuguese grilled chicken.

2 Likes

I was playing with cured egg yolks a couple of days ago

Potato, collards, oxtail and yolk

3 Likes

Creative use for your leftovers.

I have plans to cure some yolks this week but I want mine hard, for grating. How long did you let yours cure?

Some lunch this past weekend:

Grated blue cheese (melted in the oven) and topped with king trumpets and golden enoki (I think).

There’s also Hungarian brawn in the between. Not sure if you guys are familiar with that.

Wurst, Sauerkraut, mustard etc.

The plate

Overhead view of both. Bavarian patterned napkin and twine to hold the bread in place.

1 Like

Are those Dutch matjes ?

Italian sausage patties served on toasted brioche buns, topped with melted Parmesan, arugula, basil, and a few sliced cherry tomatoes.

2 Likes

Something Turkish. Poached eggs eaten with yogurt and butter sauce. Name is Çilbir (pronounced something like “chi-bare”). Black stuff is Isot Biber, Turkish pepper.

Got a big piece of Faroe Island salmon to smoke. Used the belly for this tartare. Also added finely chopped truffle to it.

The salmon I smoked using mesquite chips.

Yes.
And you can also see the maatjes are being cleaned in the photo. I have a short clip I made of the herrings being cleaned at my regular fishmonger’s herring stall here.

1 Like