What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

I made a sorta-Bún with poached chicken breast, brown rice noodles, and Nước chấm. It was light and fresh. Kiddo had the chicken shredded in its Phở-style poaching broth with noodles and hoisin sauce.

I have no idea how to add the proper text diacritics and copied from the web…:crossed_fingers:t2:

19 Likes

As a dinner reservation fell through before we had a chance to order any dishes in a restaurant in Napa (sometimes a hostess can be very incompetent), we were in need to find a good dinner place late in the evening. Looking over the possible options we remembered that Slanted Door https://slanteddoor.com/napa recently opened here and didn’t close early (which tends to be a problem in Napa). Even though we arrived after 9pm there was no rush and we enjoyed a really good dinner over the next two hours (with Charles Phan sitting at the next table with a few friends). Like many higher end Asian restaurants Slanted Door often gets criticized for being too expensive as too many people associate “ethnic” cuisine with cheap ingredients and prices. But dishes like shaking beef with quality meat (and its price) show how much better ingredient elevate a dish. Overall great night and time for us to also visit their SF restaurant.

Scallop tartare - hokkaido scallops, leeks vinaigrette, toasted sesame, rice cracker

Crispy vegetarian imperial rolls - tofu, taro root, cabbage, vermicelli noodles, roasted peanuts

Daikon rice cakes - preserved daikon, picked turnip, sweet chili sauce

Jasmine rice

Shaking beef - cape grim grass-fed tenderloin, watercress, red onion, lime

Chicken claypot - heritage loong kong boneless chicken, shallots, thai chili, ginger, chili caramel sauce

Bok choy - stir-fried shanghai bok choy, shiitake mushrooms

Lemongrass tofu - hodo soy five pressed tofu, shiitake, roasted chili sate

Chocolate hazelnut tarte - valrhona dark chocolate, candied hazelnuts, whipped cream diplomat

Panna cotta - Coconut, mango, pineapple, black sesame crumble, macademia nut tuile

19 Likes

After the Pittsburgh Shenaniganza it would seem that our final week here is filled with stupid doctors’ appointments – yet another GDMF root canal for me early this morning (KAH-CHINGGGG new boat for the endo :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:), my 6-month bewb MRI even earlier tomorrow morning, a teeth cleaning in the afternoon, and another dentist appointment Thursday morning to fix the chaos the endo left in my brand-new crown – with another several Franklins co-pay :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: #FML

At least I had a chance to start on a new Harper’s assignment, i.e. fact-checking resources for an upcoming essay. I honestly can’t believe the author has had a book published :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

As for what’s on the menu @casa lingua today: grilled BLSL chickie thighs marinated in buttermilk seasoned with Penzey’s Galena Street, the mandatory salad on the side. Natch. Both simple and satisfying.

@Amandarama I found the El Yucateco Black Label at a Mexican store on the Strip! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

15 Likes

Filet of Wagyu beef on the grill. Garden asparagus. Gold potatoes.

20 Likes

Mostly Turkish for dinner tonight, in honor of Turkish Cuisine-OTQ.

Red lentil and vegetable soup, spicy egg salad, and I was getting ready to make gozleme when a little voice in my head went “who’s going to eat all the stuffed parathas in the freezer if you’re going to make more stuffed flatbreads, hmm?” and so I stopped the madness and pulled out kheema-stuffed parathas instead of making… meat-stuffed gozleme.

Delicious and quick meal — lentils went in the pressure cooker, boiled eggs from the freezer (from the last time I went on a trip and had too many eggs) defrosted in the still-hot PC after the lentils were done.

Also roasted a whole head of cauliflower (and ate half of it while prepping the rest). Got a little extra roasty, good thing I like it that way :joy:

Glad I made a little extra soup to have leftovers.

20 Likes

It’s soup weather. Albondigas, tortilla chips, salad of mixed greens, radish, red onion, avocado, ranch and tajin. And Margaritas.

20 Likes

That restaurant has been on my list forever. Which is how long it’s been since I’ve visited SF.

2 Likes

Chag sameach, HOs! Matzohpizza.

And watercress with fantastic made-up dressing I’m never going to be able to replicate because lightning doesn’t strike twice.

19 Likes

Yes

Whole-y mackerel!

With that Turkish pilaf, enhanced with fresh English peas.

20 Likes

Gorgeous fishie!

Yes! But now I have to figure out what to do with 3/4 of a mackerel.

1 Like

Woo hoo :tada::tada::tada: That stuff is awesome!

1 Like

Pork sausages and du puy lentils cooked in the oven with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, pancetta, bay leaves and chicken broth. Served with an herb relish made with parsley, basil, chive, mint, lemon juice, garlic, capers, dijon mustard and olive oil

17 Likes

Chowder - just add it at the end, when everything else is cooked. Mackerel has a great affinity with lentils - on a lentil salad with cherry tomatoes and arugula would be fantastic. Folded into scrambled eggs with chives or scallions.

8 Likes

I like the lentils idea.

2 Likes

This lentil salad looks so tasty I am happy I have a tin of mackerel in the pantry.

1 Like

My sister’s, famous Passover brisket on toasted Ciabatta with fried onions and mushrooms, Swiss cheese, pickled pepperoncini and mayo with a side of BBQ chips.

22 Likes

Frankenchicken breast with butter and Spicewalla’s Honey and Herb seasoning blend tucked under the skin and roasted at 400°.

Baby potatoes tossed with olive oil and a sprinkle of the remaining butter/herb mixture and roasted alongside the chicken.

Steamed green beans. Almost had a small glass of wine, but decided against it.

22 Likes

My kinda dinner - looks good!

2 Likes