What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Mushrooms + goat cheese = Delicious (Brie is good here, too!) And the Sauvignon Blanc found its way into the saute and, additionally, was delightful with the meal.

2 Likes

My friend in FL introduced us to mushroom toasts with taleggio melted over the top. Oh, my!

2 Likes

One of the great joys in life!

1 Like

And it is equally delicious with melted Italian fontina. That’s actually on my menu for this week :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, fontina is a wonderful melty cheese, I agree. Havarti works well, too.

But taleggio just happens to be in perhaps my top #3 cheeses :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same in the DC area regarding meat scraps. The compost services also collect at most farmers markets so you drop off for free if you don’t want to pay for home pick up.

3 Likes

Hot damn. :drooling_face:

1 Like

It’s our last gig tonight until the local arts festival in July. We’re playing at the fancy place, so it’s unlikely that I’ll be eating anything there - if I’m peckish I can snack on some leftovers from last night, i.e. lamb, tzatziki, eggplant
 but not until I come home, lest I clear the room with all that garlic emanating from each and every pore :crazy_face:

A bunch of my gal pals got a large table, and it looks like we’ll be seeing more than a few friends. Should be a fun evening :partying_face: :cocktail:

10 Likes

Pretzel sticks, delivered from a local place we like. I made a batch of beer cheese for copious dipping! Sauvignon Blanc for me and Guinness for him
https://www.thekitchn.com/beer-cheese-recipe-23263207

21 Likes

Plans changed. Didn’t go antiquing on the South Shore. So errands up in Salem, NH.

Dinner was a pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil and Ras al Hanout with plum ketchup on top; gingery-maple mashed sweet potatoes and sautĂ©ed carrots, sugar snap peas and red onion with Penzeys’ Mural of Flavor.

Wine.

19 Likes

Tonight we made Chinese noodles with ground pork, zoodles, thinly shredded cabbage, sliced mushrooms, scallion/ginger/garlic, Xaoxing wine, and a sauce of oyster sauce, broth, light soy sauce, corn syrup, a touch of cornstarch, white pepper, msg, and sesame oil. The noodles themselves were Cantonese but not sure about the rest, as I winged it. Spicy smacked cucumbers as the side.

An Aldi “Spritz” to drink. Kinda weird (wants to be Aperol Spritz but wine based) but OKish. I’m probably gonna open a half bottle of champagne from TJ’s.

19 Likes

I don’t mean to come off as being self-righteous but hope to educate in some small way an already enlightened crowd.

We share our driveway with 2 women, one of whom is German-German (from Munich). We love competing with each other over who has the neater trash bins.:grin:

4 Likes

Your off-set bowl is cool. Makes for a fun, even dramatic, presentation.

Take-out from Honest Weight in Toronto.

A bowl of shellfish chowder. The shellfish sunk because this was the type of chowder that is not thickened with flour.

And my first soft shell crab sandwich in ages. I think it’s been 7 years. I remember trying my first soft shell crab in NYC 26 years ago, when a friend took me out for my birthday.

14 Likes

funny, yesterday I looked up when soft-shell crab season starts.

1 Like

Haha, thanks. Just how my DH plated :woman_shrugging:t2::smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you enjoy it and did it hold up as carryout?

1 Like

I loved it.

I thought it held up fine. That said, I don’t mind cold fried food or fried food the next day. I know there are a several Toronto HOs who won’t order things like fried foods , fish & chips, or Chinese food for delivery or take-out. I will order pretty much anything to-go, and enjoy it. :rofl: I order Eggs Benny to go and eat it at room temp or outside when it’s below freezing. I have friends who are not nearly as food focused as me and they will not eat Eggs Benny unless it’s cooked about 2 minutes before eating. :smiley:

Restaurants that fry well at the right temp are also 1000 times better at frying than I am.

Same restaurant had a soft shell Benny at brunch last weekend. Bennies on my mind.

6 Likes

Bucatini with garden pesto. Leftover 2-lemon chicken breast and pan sauce. Freshly picked and roasted asparagus. Parm, red pepper flakes, and kalamata olives to taste.

20 Likes

Niçoise-ish potato salad, tuna, asparagus, tomato, shallot, kalamata olives, hbe, over little gem leaves. Caesar dressing. Ancient grains toasted baguette.

18 Likes