What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

When we had access to a kitchen in college, the top 2 uses were (1) box brownies (2) box mac & cheese

3 Likes

No, I meant garbage. I’m not aware of any such service in our town, but thanks to your recommendation, I’ll look into it.

That said, we don’t generally have a lot of animal residue to get rid of, so it is kind of a non-issue in our household. I will also be spending the next two months in Berlin, where the separation of garbage is its own religion :wink:

But hey - thanks again for the tip!

1 Like

DH’s annual asparagus tempura, here with carrots, onions, and shrimp. Long-grain rice and dipping sauce on the side.

24 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

My brother was in the Navy, stationed in Yokohama - we flew from Boston to Tokyo to visit him back in the 90’s. He and his wife made friends with a Japanese couple while they lived there and all 6 of us drove in a van my brother rented from the Navy to visit Toshi’s uncle who lived on a farm away from the coast. Toshi bought a fresh tuna head packed in ice in a gigantic styrofoam container as a gift for his uncle. They cooked it outdoors on a charcoal grill. The prize of that tuna head were the eyes - I remember both Japanese men plucking them out with long chopsticks, glad that I didn’t have to. I was more interested in the giant prawns we also took to them, but they were served raw. I ate raw fish from waking up til going asleep. We were there for 2 weeks and lost about 10 lbs.

6 Likes

Potato, onion, and cheese frittata.

4 Likes

Lemon rice with yogurt and papad (yes, that pile is the appropriate quantity :joy:).

Before this, a big “dumpling” aka pan-fried pancake stuffed with pork and cabbage.

Before that, as the beginning of dinner or likely lunch / breakfast / first bite of the day, a more delicate version of the same stuffed with spicy beef.

Quite stuffed now. (But probably not too stuffed for a bite of sponge cake.)

20 Likes

I made some Cantonese style roast pork belly in the air fryer following this recipe:

It turned out well but also set off my smoke detector a few times. Dinner was that with rice and yu choy and sweet soy sauce.

20 Likes

I’ve finally recovered from my trip to warm (mostly) sunny (mostly) SoCal. We didn’t eat out very often, mostly hung out and cooked. Had a lot of Mexican food and tequila. Oh and my first In-N-Out burger. Not bad for a fast food burger. Highlight of the trip was a family gathering at my sisters. My nephew brought Dungeness crabs and snow crab legs which he grilled, lots of melted butter, followed by marinated grilled chicken or skirt steak tacos, beans, rice and accoutrements from a Mexican market. My sister made guacamole and I made pico and aji verde. My sisters grandson is married to a Peruvian and they both loved the aji verde.
FYI, never fly on the Monday after Easter Sunday.
So wfd tonight was the famous Mississippi pot roast over egg noodles with butter, sour cream and green onion. Asparagus, sauce Gribiche and little gem wedgie salad, ranch, radish, green onion, gorgonzola cheese. I had to cook the grass fed chuck roast for two days to get it shredable. It was very good but a little salty for me.

24 Likes

DH & I went to different places the last week of March and first weeks of April. I went to Ohio to tend to things with my 92-year old mother and he cashed in frequent flyer miles from his previous work life and went to the Amalfi coast. He had bad weather and great food. I had crappy food and a lot of stressed out family stuff. It’s cold here, and we’re still recovering from our trips. He came home with a bug that made his eyes glue up and had to go to urgent care for treatment.

So now while we’re both scrounging around for meals, we defrosted the last of our meatloaves. I made mashed potatoes. He made Chef John’s mushroom gravy. We found some nice green beans and cooked those. I need to lose some weight - my pants are too tight and I don’t want to buy a larger size, I’ve been the same size for about 15 years. Looking forward to warmer weather and lighter eating.

14 Likes

Though I might regret it tomorrow, I had something for dinner that I had been craving for years
a can of my favorite brand of canned chili, “Wolf’s” with some Fritos, cheddar cheese and sour cream (a kind of Fritos pie/nachos hybrid).

I had been unable to fulfill my craving because of a few reasons

① For many years, Wolf’s brand canned chili wasn’t widely available in much of the US (it’s originally from Texas). I’d only had it years ago because my stepmother was from Texas and she’d have a case sent to her by her family there. And years later, I’d occasionally find it at Big Lots. BTW, no matter the brand, canned chili isn’t easy to find in most of Japan.

② As common as Doritos and all the many flavors they make are in Japan (as are Lay’s and Cheetos), Fritos are absolutely nowhere to be found. I don’t know the reason why, but I can only guess that the corn used to make Fritos is GMO while the corn used to make Doritos and Cheetos isn’t and Japan is somewhat strict regarding GMOs.

As to why I’ll likely regret this tomorrow, even though I walked another 12.17km/7.45mi today, this was both high in calories AND insanely high in sodium. I guess it’s OK once a year or so, but certainly no more often than that.

20 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up about it. You know how to balance your cravings. I never cared for Fritos, but they weren’t hard to find in my world. What I could love to find from my trip to Japan to visit my brother who was stationed there in the Navy - wasabi snacks similar to Cheetos but without the cheese. They were puffy, crunchy, wasabi-spicy and slightly sweet. We used to buy them in large bags and pass them around on our road trips with Toshi and Yumi. I’ve never found them in the States. Do you know what they are?

5 Likes

Oven-fried cod (coating made with crushed melba toast, egg whites, mustard, thyme, cayenne, garlic powder) with seared cauliflower with panko crumbs and garlic and mashed potatoes with pureed dried tomatoes, olive oil, basil and parsley

15 Likes

I’m not gonna beat myself up about it, but I do need to try to be mor vigilant with what I eat. I like Fritos because IMHO, there’s no similar snack food. Doritos are good, but entirely different. The coarse grind/texture is quite unique, I’d say.

As for the wasabi-flavored snack you ate in Japan, unfortunately there are so many kinds that fit your description that I can’t give you a definitive answer to what it might have been. I LOVE wasabi, especially in snacks (but most definitely NOT wasabi ice cream!), but my favorite are a wasabi-flavored rice cracker that is mixed with peanuts. VERY easy to find (in Japan, at least) VERY reasonably priced and very DIFFICULT to stop eating!

10 Likes

In college, I was starting to cook. I didn’t live in a dorm.

I remember bringing stuffed mushrooms and spinach dip in a bread bowl to parties.

In law school, I had an apartment off campus. That’s when I started having dinner parties. Roasting chickens. Making sauerbraten.

Triple ginger pound cake from Epicurious.
Banana chocolate chip muffins that I overmixed, which were like paperweights.

I was using Epicurious a lot back then, and I would comment after making some recipes.

5 Likes

Wow, thats really great looking tempura!!! :yum::yum::yum:

6 Likes

Sounds like a fabulous trip you had!

And yeah, that MS roast is a salt bomb, for sure.

1 Like

Last night: pan-roasted swordfish with anchovy-green olive-shichimi togarashi compound butter, sugar snap peas.

23 Likes

That compound butter sounds briliant!

1 Like

I liked it. My picky kid was meh on it. Wfd yesterday and what’s for bfast today! The best move was to really crank the heat which I’d previously been afraid to do. Got a little wok hai out of it.

16 Likes