What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Singari/ Sengari -style Sea Bass. Would do it again :slight_smile:

Singari/ Sengari Fish recipe

16 Likes

Another shit night of sleep for my poor PIC :frowning_face:, whereas the gabapentin is making me sleep so well I snoozed straight through the outer reaches of the earthquake that shook the NE this morning :sleeping:

I did enjoy a day of cray April weather (graupel, rain, sun, wind, and everything in between & at the same time…) while I was running around between doc appointments and errands.

I picked up a nice 1lb filet of steelhead trout at Aldi, seasoned with Penzey’s Northwood and roasted it in the oven. Baby yellow & fingerling taters were also roasted in olive oil, sea salt, and a dried herb mix I got from a former Chowhound on the west coast who runs her own flower and herb farm. We had a bunch of that Peruvian green sauce left, and roasted fish & potatoes seemed like just the ticket. ‘twas.

Side of leftover gai lan & shiitakes for our veg. Too lazy to make another salad. A rare Friday night spent at home, but I’m good with that. There will be plenty of going out once my PIC feels better, and Berlin is just around the corner :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

21 Likes

White lasagna, recipe courtesy of Serious Eats. Lasagna noodles spread with alternating layers of creamy spinach-ricotta, mushroom duxelles, and cheese sauce. My modifications included the addition of mild Italian sausage, and couple of extra sheets of pasta to help a half-recipe fit neatly in an 8” x 8” baker.

Somehow I missed getting a photo of the layers. :roll_eyes:

23 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at La Lupa in Manalapan, NJ, including a Diavola pizza with provolone, fior di latte, pomodoro, salami napolitana, mint; Hamachi crudo; Crispy and juicy fried chicken with hot honey; octopus with san marzano tomato, gaeta olive, caper, arbol chili , and artichoke with mint, citrus, speck, confit garlic, sourdough breadcrumb. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Zinfandel.

16 Likes

Ravioli filled with ricotta and spinach, in a simple brown butter and sage sauce.

27 Likes
6 Likes

First day with the new fish spatula, and there’s obviously a learning curve because my John Dory (in a smoked paprika cream sauce) is a shambles. Roasted broccoli rabe fared better. For dance: 10. For looks: 3.

15 Likes

A dinner-sized/type of meal but eaten between lunch and dinner…I guess I could call it “linner”. :wink: I had “drunken meatloaf” at the Serrano Vista Café at the Palms Hotel here in Las Vegas (my sister gets comp meals there hence me going there fairly often…)

Here’s the menu description: “Meatloaf made with applewood bacon, caramelized onion, mashed potatoes, rainbow carrots, roasted squash, red wine gravy.”

I was leery of ordering this, but risked it because I’ve only had beef once or twice since I arrived here in Sin City a month ago (how time flies!)

I was VERY happily surprised at how good it was! The bacon was wrapped around the thick slice of meatloaf and the mashed potatoes were light and airy. I tend not to like alcohol in cooking, but I never even noticed it. I’ll likely be back at this restaurant and wouldn’t hesitate to order this again.

And since I only eat 2 meals a day (breakfast and dinner), I won’t be eating another meal today.

25 Likes

BF made me a giant salad for dinner, with some sauteed squash, and he had leftovers from the freezer - the SE chicken chile verde I made earlier this week, with added squash.

Happy weekend, all!

20 Likes

Sous-vide lamb chop, brown rice pilaf with mushrooms and asparagus.

This latest batch of Costco lamb chops (Australian, I think) is thick and juicy, but doesn’t have much flavor. I wonder why.

18 Likes

Quick stew with kielbasa, kidney and great northern beans, red and yellow peppers, potatoes, onion, garlic, scallions, jalapeño, sambal oelek and vegetable broth

13 Likes

they look wonderful!

1 Like

I think if I got to eat your fresh pasta 2-3 times a week, my handle would be -Happy, too :heart_eyes::yum::drooling_face:

2 Likes

This is what’s for dinner.

6 Likes

Yesterday, at Mustard’s in Napa.

Husband has loved this place for decades, but they’ve disappointed me of late. But not last night.

Meatloaf, which husband always enjoys

Fish tostada, which daughter always enjoys. Swordfish this time.

I got lamb chops. Doneness perfect for me! :disappointed_relieved:

Not much in the way of a garden yet, but a great double rainbow.

22 Likes

I’m a sucker for rainbows :heart_eyes::rainbow:

My dad forever remembered the pork chop he ate at Mustard’s. Me? I couldn’t tell you what I ate at the same meal :joy: it was good, though. (Either steak or lamb chops, because we would have shared and those were his other two cravings.)

4 Likes

Crayfish?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

It’s Carbonara Day. Take-out from Enoteca Sociale in Toronto.
The Carbonara

Grilled rapini

11 Likes

Interesting about lack of flavor: I thought it was me!