What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Pan-roasted BC King salmon. Salad greens and homemade croutons in vinaigrette.

20 Likes

And potatoes are vegetables as well.

4 Likes

The dishes are very pretty. Dinner looks good too.

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

Chicken tacos, pico, lime crema. Pinto beans with poblano chile, red bell and onions. Avocado and margaritas.

19 Likes

Our group dinner at the new Indian place was…. just ok, even tho @medgirl and @travelmad478’s comments in this thread had already lowered my expectations.

We didn’t order family-style (as we do with our chili head group) so that everyone could order whatever they wanted to try. I shared the baingan bharta & the chicken kholapuri with my PIC, and got to try the papdi chaat someone ordered, an interesting appetizer of crackers with yogurt sauce (a little sweet for my liking), and I also tried the saag paneer that was of a mesmerizing, bright green color. We ordered a bunch of naan for the table – the garlic and the butter naan were both wonderfully buttery & perhaps the best naan I’ve had in town (not that there are that many options). Sadly, they were out of the keema naan.The baingan bharta was the best I’ve had, ever: smoky, silky, spicy.

2C5FB289-1C8A-4877-93E4-C56B502AA373_4_5005_c

DE01C5CC-8D65-4475-8C51-8640357E6B3C_4_5005_c

CEDA9C00-24B0-4532-B969-0809CEAA72F9_4_5005_c

42731C21-758D-43DA-9603-2D08FF3C4EF6_4_5005_c

4FA0DF50-8A90-4B1D-99BD-11F214DFF99C_4_5005_c

However, I thought most of the meat & shrimp dishes were lacking in complexity, the vindaloo and other dishes ordered “spicy” really weren’t…. it just fell short overall.

And so, the search for good Indian food continues.

9 Likes

I used the leftover mackerel and some poached salmon to make another terrine-ish thing, mashed potato on top.

18 Likes

Pretty table spread!

2 Likes

A first visit to Marlowe https://www.marlowesf.com/ when looking for a solo dinner spot with cocktails at the bar in SoMa. Well known for their burger but was more in the mood for the pork cheeks which didn’t disappoint. Nice, relaxed ambience sitting at the bar with good cocktails.

Warm deviled egg, aged provolone, pickled jalapeño, bacon

Blue crab crepe, frisee salad, creme fraiche, dill, chili crunch

Braised pork cheeks, crispy cheese & potato croquette, grilled broccolini, garlic-chili & pork jus

Maria’s bread pudding, banana, raisin, vanilla bean ice cream, bourbon caramel

18 Likes

You eat very well, Herr Hupenmann :wink:

That crepe! Also, for a moment I thought the thing on the deviled egg might be a piece of pickled herring or some other kind of fish.

1 Like

Can’t complain about (food) life

Food = life. We make the most of our short time here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fish pie FTW!

(If you have more leftover mackerel, I was going to suggest brandade or fish cakes or both.)

2 Likes

I’d happily eat your whole meal, except dessert :joy: (bananas and bread pudding are both childhood anathema)

(On my way to eat my own crab rice crepe — rolled up like sushi though :yum:)

1 Like

I guess this could have been a brandade.

Walked out of work at 5:15.
Poured a glass of wine at 5:50.
THEN I fed the boyz.
(They were concerned at not being first on my mind.)
Yeah, not today, guys.
Momma takes priority.

Sipped the wine…
Took out a Wegmans chuck & brisket burger from the freezer, as well as a brioche bun.
Sipped more wine.
Changed into comfy clothes.
Watched the news.
Finished the wine.

Made a salad.
Poured another glass of wine.
Cooked the burger.
Added a slice of American.
Plated with some broken Utz ridged potato chips.

Drizzled some Target honey-mustard dressing on the salad and enjoyed.

28 Likes

Thank you! It’s a fairly plain tablecloth from Provence that I think I bought at Costco 15 years ago, and 4 circular paper placemats I bought at a favourite gift shop last week, on top!

3 Likes

Halibut and scallops, and bakery- bought pierogies and potato pancakes.

And tortes.

16 Likes

Sauteed asparagus and grilled prime ribeye. Served over fresh spinach, with an Asian-inspired vinaigrette. Japanese 7 spice and scallions for garnish.

Spinach and aspa from the garden.

20 Likes

Seared and roasted pork tenderloin, kc masterpiece bbq sauce. Roasted carrots and asparagus with butter and aleppo pepper. Spinach salad, golden beets, celery, red onion, gorganzola, honey mustard dressing. Beefeater martini rocks and wine.

18 Likes