New South Indian restaurant in town.... what to order?

I’m not super-versed in Indian cuisine, so any advice on what are must-gets off of this very extensive menu would be appreciated.

We’ll be 11 hungry peeps & will probably eat family-style. I’m curious about the goat dishes, the Indo-Chinese section looks interesting. I take it the “Chaats House” section is more of a snack/app/side section?

The DJ special section is equally intriguing, but I am honestly overwhelmed by all the variety :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi. Your post title mentioned South Indian restaurant. But the place is called Delhi Junction and the menu looks pretty North Indian to me. Have you linked the correct restaurant?

1 Like

Sorry, just saw that your post mentions sections of the menu that match with Delhi Junction. Hopefully someone like saregama with better knowledge of US-based Indian restaurants will pitch in.

If you’re going as a big group eating family style then you’ll hopefully be able to explore the menu and have more hits than misses. The Chaats House section could be used as family style starters (maybe ask about portion sizes). The DJ Special section is slightly odd - the first 3 items on it are all variations of the same thing: chickpea curry with flatbread. I would avoid any of the prawn dishes. North India is not known for its prawn cookery and I wouldn’t use prawns in any of those dishes other than Vindaloo, which is of Goan origin and not North Indian.

Sorry to not be of much help. But hopefully you’ll get an idea of what this place’s strengths are!

1 Like

I agree with @medgirl that this menu is not at all South Indian. The farthest south it gets, and it’s not South Indian at all, is biryani (which is a Hyderabadi specialty—central India). Tandoori dishes (including naan), Punjabi, Kashmiri, Afghani—that’s all Northern food. This menu is pretty eclectic if you ask me, more of a diner menu in terms of breadth, vs. a regional specialization.

3 Likes

@linguafood , you mentioned you are curious about the goat dishes. The format of the menu suggests they use a ‘mother sauce’ for some of the dishes and just add the diner’s protein of choice to the sauce. Because there are ‘curry’, ‘karahi’, ‘korma’, ‘palak’, etc options available for chicken, lamb, goat and prawn. To me, that is a bit of a red flag.

Interestingly, the dishes labelled with 65 in the Indo-Chinese section are South Indian and not Indo-Chinese as far as I am aware. Chicken 65 is a staple of South Indian menu appetizers. I haven’t come across paneer 65 or gobi (cauliflower) 65. If made properly, chicken 65 is addictive. But I wouldn’t order it at a North Indian restaurant!

1 Like

As I mentioned, I’m not familiar with the intricacies of Indian cuisine. I was going by someone else’s description. I have no idea if it’s north Indian, south Indian, or central Indian. I do gather from your comments, however, that it might be best not to expect too much. That is generally my MO for most Indian restaurants I have been to.

I appreciate your input.

1 Like

Please do report back. I am always interested to hear about Indian restaurants. They range from the utterly perplexing to the sublime.

3 Likes

Absolutely! Stay tuned :smiling_face:

1 Like

I would order a bunch/all the chaats, all the things on the “sides” (chutney, achars, etc.), a few parathas for the table, and beer. Lots of beer. In the absence of beer…well, you do you. :slight_smile:

It does look mostly like Northern recipes and agree with others assessment that they likely use “mother sauces”. Doesn’t mean things won’t taste good, but that can mean the sauce won’t always be dialed in for the specific protein (generally). I don’t think anything will be “hot” hot (maybe the Vindaloo (Goan) or Kohlapuri (Maharashtrian)), but hopefully well spiced. I hope you report back and let us know!

1 Like

As others have said, this is not at all South Indian, except for the couple of “65” dishes.

I’d go for:
bhel puri
papri chaat
dahi bhalla
fruit chaat (but you must insist they not hold back on the spice level or else it will be just eating pieces of fresh fruit).
peanut masala
chicken tandoori (on the bone)
goat karahi
lamb biryani
bindhi masala
veg curry
dal makhni
baigan bartha
Any breads or any other protiens you want to add.

Indo-Chinese food always seems weak to me. I avoid it.
I also avoid most samosas/fritters unless I am confident about their ability with fried foods. Most places fall down on this.

The menu does not inspire much confidence, but I am surprised about the fruit chaat. I have rarely seen that on menus, but it is very much a Delhi thing.

2 Likes

I wish I’d seen this BEFORE our meal. See my report here.

It was alright. I might return for the baingan bharta (I love all things eggplant), and the naan was spectacular.

Although now that I have your spiffy list, I might go back and check out some of your suggestions.

Some day…

1 Like