What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

I’m sure he’s just real busy working on a new cocktail creation.

3 Likes

That’s a damn good looking π, John!

Poker game went reasonably well (I won a whopping $6 :joy:). Our hosts had ordered a ginormous amount of sushi, and there was also some lovely banchan from a previous Korean meal.

Great evening. Not sure WFD at casa lingua tonight.

16 Likes

10 Likes

Pan fried pork and vegetable dumplings/steamed bok choy smothered in soy/chili crisp(Lao Gan Ma, not the crappy Momofukoboi stuff)/scallions and toasted sesame seeds.

23 Likes

Last night was a bit of a mosh-mosh.

Spicy chicken salad (copycat of my favorite deli item at Whole Foods that they stopped making) using Cantonese poached chicken and the alioli I made last week.

I had a solo slice of bread hanging out in the back of the fridge, so I toasted it, and then switched to brioche toasts.

Then out for drinks with a friend (WHEN did a $30 cocktail become ACCEPTABLE???), and I was hungry again when I got back, so I made crispy pan-fried kimbap (@digga is this a real thing, or did TJs make it up as one of the ways to eat their frozen kimbap?) It was pretty delicious, whether real or not. (I used to do the same to leftover sushi when I was younger, because I didn’t trust it the next day but I also didn’t want to throw it away.)

Tonight: “Linner” of truffled mushroom chawanmushi topped with king oyster mushrooms followed by pan-fried noodles with vegetables (snow pea leaves, snow peas, carrots, onions, scallions) and more king oyster mushrooms.

The microwave yielded a lovely custard today, and only my second time making pan-fried noodles, but why on earth don’t I make them more often?!! Crispetty, crunchetty, whole at the same time soft, and intensely flavored. Yum!

18 Likes

Salmon burger on a toasted potato bun, with saffron aioli, roasted tomato jam, and steamed green beans on the side.

20 Likes

An absolutely stunning, warm spring day, half of which I spent in bed :grimacing: while experiencing pings of guilt because it’s NICE. I should go OUTSIDE and DO THINGS… instead of wasting all that sunny goodness :crazy_face:

Okay, then. Off to shop for dinner thangs & catch some sun at the various parking lots :smile: Never mind we were also getting gusts of up to 55mph, and it is now dark as night. We’re expecting hail.

Picked up a coupla zukes at the supermarket near me that were planked and grilled to go with a coupla swordfish steaks we unearthed from the freezer. With just over 2 weeks away from our departure, we really need to get rockin’ on that! A zippy piccata-ish sauce for the swordfish with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped parsley, chopped capers, crushed garlic.

Zukes were topped with feta, sumac, parsley. An easy & very satisfying summery meal. Also very green :green_heart:

16 Likes

After I’m dead, that’s when.

4 Likes

You’re still alive, my friend. And I was the only one there with sticker shock.

6 Likes

That’s the price one pays for having the privilege of living in NYC, I guess?

Yowzah.

1. Where were you?
  2. The French 75 at ACTUAL ARNAUD’S costs $15.

4 Likes

Made some lime-pepper marinated chicken breasts, some of which will be used for work lunch salads.

But some was for tonight with roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with balsamic vinegar and honey after roasting.

Wine.
Simple and easy.

19 Likes

Wooow. But then I’ve become numb to $15 or $16 specialty cocktails at some places on Cape Cod. So not a city lol.

1 Like

Cocktails in my college town are between $12-20, with the average being around $14.

I made a spin on some quickie enchiladas reportedly trending on TikTok: frozen chicken taquitos covered in a sauce I made with a jar of green salsa thickened with half and half, cornstarch, a little veggie bullion, and cream cheese. Topped with Colby jack cheese and baked. I topped and baked some small chicken breasts with the same sauce. Zucchini sauteed with oo and adobo seasoning as the veg. It was…OK. DH had seconds and kiddo ate it, so I’m counting it as a win.

19 Likes

Our bar tab is always more than what we eat. I have been drying myself out for health reasons, and I joke with my PIC that I’m a cheap date when I’m not drinking. Last Friday started our birthdays week. To hell with abstinence until next Friday. Full speed ahead…

8 Likes

Oh, our dining bills would be half if we didn’t drink :cocktail:

6 Likes

This is reminiscent of the chicken enchiladas I make. Chopped rotisserie or leftover chicken about 3 cups. A brick of Philly neufchâtel cheese, a jar of salsa verde, and 8 oz brick of jack or cheddar, shredded. Mash chicken with neufchâtel, a few Tbs of the salsa verde and half of the shredded cheese. Roll fresh corn tortillas around the filling. Spread some of the salsa verde into a glass baking dish and put the filled tortillas seam side down - top with remaining salsa and shredded cheese. Bake at the ubiquitous 350F for about 1/2 hour.

I like to serve with chopped avocado, sliced scallions and sour cream.

6 Likes

I would have a longer life expectancy if I didn’t. That’s the motivator for my on again off again sobriety. I’m older than you - it’s really taken a toll on me. My PIC can still drink like there’s no tomorrow, but he falls asleep sooner than he used to…

6 Likes