SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

Finally feeling well enough to cook something. So, I made a strata to use up some bits and bobs of bread, cheeses, and other dairy from the fridge. I’ve got ~6 slices of scali bread to 4 eggs, 8 oz. Cougar Gold cheese (crumbled), 4 oz. sour cream, 8 oz. softened cream cheese, 4 oz. water and seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, dried thyme, and Mrs. Dash’s Onion and Herb seasoning). Baked at 300F (convection) in a 8" Pyrex for 45 minutes and left to sit for 10 minutes. Delicious, with a couple slices left for other meals. A little tomato and scallion salad on the side to cut the richness.

19 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Drizzle with a soy sauce-conpoy slurry, and a light dusting of furikake. :yum:

Did you get David Chang’s blessings first?

1 Like

Crisp not crunch, friend, keep up :wink:

3 Likes

Another day, another chawanmushi.

Todays flavors inspired by my introduction to the dish by the late great David Bouley’s Porcini Truffle Flan with Dungeness Crab.

No crab, but I did use porcini powder, shiitake broth, and truffle shavings, and topped it with king oyster mushrooms.

I also mixed up the cooking method again to play with one employing the microwave that I had tried previously from COTM Korean American.

Glad I experimented with my own timing and power instead of what was prescribed by the recipe, because the custard texture was pretty much perfect, with zero liquid separation even after breaking into it and no bubbling — last time my luck was not quite so good :flushed:

11 Likes

I had an egg filled day yesterday too, including chawanmushi for dinner. I forgot to take pictures though. For lunch, I made a version of the Japanese ‘conbini’ (i.e., convenient store, pre-made) egg salad sandwich. Made my eggs a tad too soft, but it was delicious.

3 Likes

I’ve never been an egg salad person, but I’m willing to try again during this quarter. How do you make your egg salad and your sando?

I don’t make egg salad that often at home, but if you’ve ever been to Japan, the pre-made egg salad sandwiches at any of their convenient store chains are insanely delicious! I followed a recipe online - most of them call for just-done hardboiled eggs (2-4, depending on serving size), salt and pepper to taste, and kewpie mayonnaise. I think kewpie is the secret here - much more flavorful than the regular American mayo, and the Japanese version has msg. If you don’t have it, I’ve seen some recipes call for a dash of msg. If the hard boiled eggs are too dry, they all suggest adding a splash or two of milk or cream to make it moist. I like a mix of hard boiled eggs and then some jammy soft boiled too.

Most recipes also recommend separating the yolk from the white and cutting and mashing them separately to get the right texture. Japanese egg salad is more mashed. The bread is always soft, shokupan - or milk bread. I just bought it from the Asian bakery, as I wasn’t in the mood to spend half a day baking a loaf for this. Always cut off the crust so that your sandwich is pillowy soft. :slight_smile:
I added mustard to mine, because that’s how I like it. Some sites omit that and may also recommend a pinch of sugar (no sugar in mine).

Copied a photo from one of the recipe sites so you can see the texture. It’s creamier and tastier than the typical American versions I’ve had.

9 Likes

Aaaaah - sorry I thought you made it!

I think the overly mayo-ey texture is what has kept me away from egg salad in the past. (Indian chicken salad sandwiches are also super-mayo-ed, with that pinch of sugar.)

Fan of kewpie! But I’ve still got a bit homemade garlic mayo I need to use up.

Love the soft bread for sandwiches. I may hold off till I go to Chinatown at the end of the week and can just buy the bread.

1 Like

Oh, sorry if my post was confusing. I did make the egg salad, but it wasn’t my recipe per se. I just followed several different online recipes and their suggestions for getting it as close to the Japanese egg salad as I remember. Egg salad in the states is usually boring (but I still prefer it over ho hum deli meat sandwiches). The bread makes a huge difference to me! It would never hold up to American sandwiches where they like to pile on the meat, but it’s a must for egg salad, PB&J of fluffernutter when I make them.

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree on the bread. Also a must for chicken salad, tuna, and sardine sandwiches in my case. And so much better for cheese sandwiches (also Indian chutney sandwiches, but no one here has probably ever eaten one of those :grinning:).

4 Likes

Ever since I read about making egg salad by grating the eggs, that’s what I do. I have a microplane box grater, use the small section.

Finely chopped green onion and tender celery, black pepper, mayo to bind. I never need to add salt.

2 Likes

I’d never heard of grated eggs, but this WaPo recipe looks good–grated eggs over steamed asparagus.

3 Likes

I have in Mumbai Green with Veggies also Cheese, Corn and Red Chutney on a short Kingfisher Air Hop.
Both were really good but the Cheese and Corn was great!

I lived in Japan for a total of close to 20 years and have eaten my share of Japanese egg salad sandwiches, but have never understood why everyone raves about them. Mind you, they’re not bad, but I personally don’t think they are, as they say “something to write home about”. I blame Anthony Bourdain.

Another type of “tamago” sandwich which is also popular but more of a Japanese coffee shop (“kissaten”) menu is this type which is a non-sweet version of the “tamago” served in Japanese sushi places. This type of “tamago” is called “atsuyaki” which means “grilled thick”. As it’s much more difficult to make than a regular egg salad sandwich, it’s what I would choose when eating out.

11 Likes

Menemen for dinner today:

4 Likes

I will make these soon https://www.sunset.com/recipe/fava-egg-salad-sandwiches

Äggakaka / Äggakaga / Swedish egg cake with bacon and lingonberries

2 Likes

Plain butter and green chutney is the bomb – try it when you have chutney and soft bread at hand!

4 Likes

This reminded me of a leek preparation I ate at a French restaurant in DC – poireaux vinaigrette, but they called it dijonnaise (@LulusMom1 maybe you have eaten this there too)

5 Likes