What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots late this afternoon. Not my fave but once a year is good. My father was from Ireland and would not eat this. So we had a smoked shoulder instead. And mom would make a split pea soup from the bone.
Sláinte

22 Likes

Yes, I have 2 ridged grill pans. One is an enameled cast iron grill pan I got at Home Goods awhile back (not sure I’ll be able to use it or my Le Creuset braiser on my new stovetop). You cook the steak/chicken/pork chop partially on one side, then turn it 1/4 of the way to finish cooking that side. Flip and do the same for the other side.

As for the blackberries…i used the “less firm” berries, so they broke down more quickly. But I still had to mash them into the sauce mixture before straining.

4 Likes

I hear you! We have around 25 lbs. of frozen filets and 6 lbs. of smoked to go. Good luck to us both!

5 Likes

Are you happy with your grill pans? I have an indoor grill that kicked the bucket a couple of years ago and although I like it, it is taking up valuable real estate in my kitchen so I am wondering if it’s worth getting a grill pan instead.

1 Like

As I can’t have a charcoal or gas grill, I’ve become accustomed to using them, and yes, I do like them.

I use the Cuisinart cast iron pan (9-1/4") more frequently, as it’s smaller and I’m only cooking for myself.

The larger Calphalon nonstick grill pan i use when I’m making my dad’s satay skewers.

10 Likes

Fish pie (flounder, mushrooms, leeks, garlic, and sage) with a garlic and cheddar mashed potato crust, adapted from:

23 Likes

Yum! :yum:

1 Like

I don’t do corned beef and cabbage.

So Guinness Beef Stew was on the menu tonight. Used my Le Creuset braiser and only fit the large chunky carrots in after an hour of cooking in the oven to cook for another 1.5 hours. Baby yellow potatoes were steamed and buttered.

Wine.

Dessert was decidedly British: a Lemon Posset with a blackberry. Didn’t come out as well as I had hoped, because I rushed it. But still a nice light way to end the meal.

28 Likes

I made reverse-sear pork tenderloin with cider gravy, Brussels sprouts with crispy onion, pistachios, and pistachio oil, and pesto angel hair. Green vanilla milkshakes for dessert (mine was a malt).

24 Likes

Thank you!

Like @LindaWhit, I don’t prepare corned beef and cabbage either. I will order corned beef, roasted veg, mash, and chocolate stout cupcakes from a local café.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, all!

23 Likes

Maybe it’s because it was one of the dinner options last night, but sushi was still very much on our minds today. We picked up a few nigiri (salmon and scallop, both of which I torched à la one of our favorite sushi joints in Berlin), a lil sashimi (mackerel, fluke, madai, yellowtail, escolar), and a couple of rolls (yellowtail / scallion, and soft shell crab).

Meanwhile, casa lingua’d been incongruously, yet deliciously aromatized all day by yet another scrumptious Mississippi roast melting away in the DO, most if not all of which is meant for my keyboarder to pick up tomorrow – one of several barter meals for his wife’s past & future cat-sitting services.

They really enjoyed the blanched broc I supplied as a side last time, which I can easily make just before he comes over. It was hard not to keep ‘tasting’ bits of meat as I pulled it apart with my two silver serving forks. Maybe that’s why I was barely able to finish the sushi… all those rich beef shreds :grimacing:

17 Likes

That fish pie. :star_struck: I need to make it happen.

1 Like

The recipe is great and very easy to customize with other flavors (like the mushrooms, leeks, and sage that I added)!

3 Likes

Simmered a Morton’s of Omaha corned beef from Costco for 4.5 hours, into the oven for 15 minutes and then sliced for Reubens on sourdough rye.

25 Likes

We don’t do corned beef and cabbage here either, but I did give it a nod with stir-fried red cabbage (in coconut oil with cumin, mustard seeds and turmeric) as a side to an easy chicken curry main. Tons of leftovers means I’m set for lunches this week!

9 Likes

We don’t use an outdoor grill anymore - too many steps to go down to get outside and two big dogs who can knock us over. We’ve had that Calphalon non stick grill pan for a long time. I use it mostly to grill baguette slices for bruschetta and make panini sandwiches in it with a weighted press from another set. One of my first Le Creuset purchases was an enameled cast iron grill pan. I used it many years for seared pieces of poultry, finished in the oven and also for pan grilled steaks and burgers. It got too heavy for me and DH prefers a DeBuyer carbon steel grill pan on our gas range, so we (gasp) donated the Le Creuset to our local COA thrift store.

I recently bought a Scanpan ES5 11" grill pan specifically to use for skewers because it doesn’t have as much of a lip as the Calphalon and so there’s more cooking surface. Sur la Table had a good sale on it with free shipping a few months ago. I put it in a place where DH can’t get his hands on it - he has a tendency to ruin nonstick cookware and I’m the only one of us who would make any kind of kabobs. It apparently is ovenproof to 500 F, despite the handle.

8 Likes

Homemade carnitas and refries. Avo. Pico de gallo. Store-bought tortillas.

I ate two.

22 Likes
6 Likes

We enjoyed another spectacular dinner at Jasper Stone including a sensational truffled mushroom lasagna; Misoyaki butterfish; steak tartare; hamachi sashimi; tuna tacos. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

14 Likes