What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

The Sprout is out of town on her first business trip so I took the opportunity to make asparagus - one of the only vegetables she’s doesn’t care for. Steamed asparagus with eggs, roasted mushrooms and red peppers. The eggs could have been a little bit runnier but good nonetheless.

21 Likes

If it ain’t broke. Must be good!

2 Likes

Burgers on the grill. Convection-oven fries.

21 Likes

What cake recipe? Both of my offspring, grown-ass men, want the same cake I’ve been making since about age 2. Hershey’s cocoa powder can recipe chocolate

8 Likes

Trader Joe’s frozen Kimbap are pretty tasty! With the BF’s little cuke, shallot, and pickled daikon salad in a Thai sweet chili dressing. The roll contains sauteed greens, root vegetables, pickled veg, braised tofu, and sesame oil-seasoned rice. I made a little gochujang/vinegar/sesame oil/soy sauce dip for them. BF had a big hunk of his meatloaf and mashed potatoes for his dinner.

16 Likes

grown-ass men, want the same cake I’ve been making since about age 2.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Recipes are in this post… recipes from CI in 1999

6 Likes

Oven Dixie fry chicken. Beans . Salad with avocado. Cheers .

21 Likes

Simplified version of Green Pozole with ground pork, hominy, tomatillos, jalapeno, poblano, onion, garlic, cumin and sirararkhong chili - topped with tomatoes and queso fresco

17 Likes

Zuppa de qualunque cosa, Italian sausage sauteed with carrot, celery, onion, garlic, beet greens, added chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme and simmered until done, butter beans added just before serving topped with parm and parsley. Salad was little gem, mixed greens, red onion, roasted golden beet, orange baby bell, creamy Greek dressing.

23 Likes

Dixie oven fry chicken. Beans and salad .Cheers.

17 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Sausage Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas. I ran a portion up to Neighbor #2 for her dinner. She just called me to tell me how much she enjoyed it, and that her meatloaf never came out this good. Any who, when she is all recovered she wants me to come over and show her how I made it.

27 Likes

Fettuccine with green beans, potatoes, and pesto.

22 Likes

Sous vide rib eye cap

5 Likes

*I think, not I this :roll_eyes:

Man, I have serious pasta envy when I see your pics. How often would you say you have pasta for lunch or dinner/week?

Eye-talian dinnah last night. Mushroom & brie baguette for starters,

Borgatti’s pillowy (and giNORMous) ricotta ravs with marinara sawce, extra Sunday gravy on the side (with pork, meatballz, sawsidge), salad with yarden arugula - perhaps the most peppery arugula that has ever crossed these lips :heart_eyes:

It’s our last full day down here :frowning_face: Time sure does fly…

17 Likes

A couple of questions for @Saregama, @Amandarama and anyone who regularly makes this recipe:

-Do you wipe the fish totally dry before broiling? I used a pastry brush and suspect, based on photos, that I left too much residue.

-Do you use the full amount of sugar? Any tweaks to the recipe?

• Do you use this marinade on fish other than black cod? I use a similar-ish recipe for salmon from Dinner: a Love Story but haven’t made it in a while (disappointed with Aldi salmon quality).

-I used Xoaxing Chinese rice wine instead of sake. Reasonable sub?

For a moment I thought your minced onion was garlic :face_with_peeking_eye:

Please share your recipe/method :smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think your main issue was using cod and not black cod / sable — the cure affects the two fish very differently because of fattiness.

Atlantic salmon works also, though not as well and you don’t need to cure it for as long. SE or ATK claim a day is enough, but if you’ve eaten the original dish, the flavor is deep and pervasive, and that’s not happening in a day. Maybe 2, because 3-4 is too long for salmon (it firms up in a way sable doesn’t). It tastes fine with the short window, it’s just a different dish.

This is supposed to be a sweet cure slightly balanced by the salty/savory of the white miso — I don’t cut sugar. The sweetness passes through to the fish, balanced out by the fattiness. (Eat plain, or with rice, or with lettuce / salad to balance it out. I try not to eat it with something else heavily flavored or incongruent, because it’s a subtle dish and gets lost otherwise.)

I have substituted mirin or shaoxing before too, it’s fine. There’s a very subtle alcohol flavor that goes into the fish, so a sub isn’t going to make or break it.

6 Likes