What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

The recipe is great and very easy to customize with other flavors (like the mushrooms, leeks, and sage that I added)!

3 Likes

Simmered a Morton’s of Omaha corned beef from Costco for 4.5 hours, into the oven for 15 minutes and then sliced for Reubens on sourdough rye.

25 Likes

We don’t do corned beef and cabbage here either, but I did give it a nod with stir-fried red cabbage (in coconut oil with cumin, mustard seeds and turmeric) as a side to an easy chicken curry main. Tons of leftovers means I’m set for lunches this week!

9 Likes

We don’t use an outdoor grill anymore - too many steps to go down to get outside and two big dogs who can knock us over. We’ve had that Calphalon non stick grill pan for a long time. I use it mostly to grill baguette slices for bruschetta and make panini sandwiches in it with a weighted press from another set. One of my first Le Creuset purchases was an enameled cast iron grill pan. I used it many years for seared pieces of poultry, finished in the oven and also for pan grilled steaks and burgers. It got too heavy for me and DH prefers a DeBuyer carbon steel grill pan on our gas range, so we (gasp) donated the Le Creuset to our local COA thrift store.

I recently bought a Scanpan ES5 11" grill pan specifically to use for skewers because it doesn’t have as much of a lip as the Calphalon and so there’s more cooking surface. Sur la Table had a good sale on it with free shipping a few months ago. I put it in a place where DH can’t get his hands on it - he has a tendency to ruin nonstick cookware and I’m the only one of us who would make any kind of kabobs. It apparently is ovenproof to 500 F, despite the handle.

8 Likes

Homemade carnitas and refries. Avo. Pico de gallo. Store-bought tortillas.

I ate two.

22 Likes
6 Likes

We enjoyed another spectacular dinner at Jasper Stone including a sensational truffled mushroom lasagna; Misoyaki butterfish; steak tartare; hamachi sashimi; tuna tacos. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

14 Likes

I didn’t have time to make Irish stew.

We had lamb shoulder souvlaki chunks roasted in the oven, baby broccoli with garlic and lemon, and purchased Emmer Bakery’s sourdough sea salt focaccia.

Purchased Crème Caramel from Bakery Pompette in Toronto.

10 Likes

That sounds delicious.

I have nightmares about irish stew — it was one of the dishes my lower school cafeteria served that made me gag. My sis, however, adored it (and everything else they served) and still hasn’t forgiven me for killing cafeteria lunches for both of us :rofl:

1 Like

@paryzer It’s like you went in my head and took a picture of the single-serve lasagna I imagined last week (after @Phoenikia posted hers). Now I have to make it.

Everything looks delectable!

4 Likes

Van Morrison, a shamrock martini, corned beef, colcannon with brussels, carrots, mustard and horseradish. Green salad, spinach, green onion, celery, cuke, avocado, green ranch. A Hefe, they didn’t have singles of Guinness.

Sláinte.

23 Likes

Man I love fish pie! But for some reason I only make it when I have fish, shrimp, and scallops, because that’s how my aunt makes it. No reason I can’t just the fish I have in the freezer and potatoes, huh :thinking:

3 Likes

Had me at Van Morrison. :green_heart:

4 Likes

Good luck!

We ought to share ways of using it up! We primarily have fluke, striped bass and sea bass with a few random packages of blue fish and tog. Mr Bean fishes about 7-8 months of the year. What do you stock?

1 Like

I love it with mixed seafood, too! But the nice thing about a single fish is that you only have to worry about the cooking time that is optimal for that particular fish. I made a half recipe worth of this one. With the mushroom/leek layer on the bottom of the casserole, topped with the flounder, and then the potato layer, it look 15 minutes total (I skipped the broiler step from the recipe).

2 Likes

That looks delicious! I am definitely going to have to try it

1 Like

West coast girl here, so Pacific salmon and halibut, primarily. Always happy to catch a rockfish, and DH has expressed an interest in chasing ling cod. We used to sport fish the rivers quite a bit in our younger days, but these days it’s mostly charter fishing in salt water.

Blackened and quickly cooked at high temp, or slow roasted at low temp, are a couple of favorite ways of preparing them, as are chowders (endless chowders). Breaded or battered or pan-fried is also a contender. I’m not much one for saucing or glazing - simpler is better, in my book.

2 Likes

The linked recipe is a household favorite. I hope you enjoy it if you try it!

Last night at my sister’s I made the Nobu miso marinated black cod - turned out delicious! that miso/sugar/mirin/sake marinade is spectacular - have quite a bit left over. only marinated 24 hours (you can go up to 3 days). The cod itself was dreamy - silky and tender. I would have liked a little more charring but my sister’s broiler doesn’t seem to get that hot. Still, DELISH. Salad of radicchio, frisee and romaine in a NYT ginger/garlic dressing (which we loved but I had to add salt to the recipe.)

Tonight at home I made Woks of Life vegan mapo tofu, and it was missing something (yes, besides the meat!) I used maitakes instead of shiitakes, but it needed an acidic note or something, so we added a splash of Chinese black vinegar at the table, which helped a bit. It was certainly spicy enough, and had good texture. Maybe my fermented black beans are too old. Just a little disappointing considering all that went into it.

Still, it was good to be in the kitchen twice this week.

23 Likes

love the char on your carnitas!

i haven’t made any in like 10 months. :sob:

1 Like