What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

great idea!

bittersweet to be leaving, I’m sure! have a safe rest of your trip… what is your final destination, I think i missed it…

1 Like

all that looks scrumptious! what did you braise the daikon in?

Thank you. My hopefully temporary “final” destination is Las Vegas as my older sister lives there and she has agreed to put me up until I can get back on my feet. I say it’s hopefully temporary because I am not at all fond of Las Vegas and my sister thrives on pushing my buttons. But I’ll do my darndest to not let that get to or upset me.

13 Likes

Hoping you can land somewhere permanently you really want to be! I would not want to live in Vegas either, and family (while we love them and they can be helpful) can be difficult to live with. Good luck!

6 Likes

Made shrimp tacos tonight with roasted tomato and serrano pepper salsa. The shrimp roasted in the salsa (which I made ahead on Sunday) and I served that family style with corn tortillas, scallions, cilantro, and limes. Happy Taco Tuesday!

28 Likes

Supermarket Sashimi for in-room dine.

Otoro (fatty Bluefin), Ika (Squid), Aji (Horse Mackerel) from one supermarket.

From second store, live Geoduck.

The store in-house fishmonger sliced the Geoduck, as well as a Needlefish and a small Rockfish for our sashimi. Presentation a bit lacking, but fresh and delicious.

24 Likes

Soy, Sake, Mirin, Water, Sugar, Sesame Oil and Ginger.

2 Likes

Toulouse beanie weenies. Sanagan’s Meat Locker Toulouse sausages, Rancho Gordo flageolet beans, Greek red wine, no salt canned tomatoes, thyme, onion, garlic.

Pan-fried potato dumplings with mushrooms.

21 Likes

Boneless pork chops dredged in Italian
bread crumbs and sautéed in olive oil. A simple antipasto salad and crispy cheesy garlic bread.

24 Likes

Mas tacos por Tuesday. Pork mole, poblano pepper, onion and garlic, on flour tortillas. Coteja cheese, avocado, radish, cilantro. Side of doctored pintos. Sangria.

23 Likes

Ham, Swiss, and onion tarts on a Brioche base. If I make these again (and probably will), I hope to have the good sense to make a salad to go with.

31 Likes

Lazy woman’s chili. I needed mass quantities because I can’t cook for the next couple of days and I needed a microwaveable stash. Sautéed a diced onion in bacon fat. Rinsed and drained pinto beans, the rest is a can of Rotel tomatoes, ground beef, beer, Wick Fowler’s 2 alarm chili box, minus the red pepper (rotel has enough). No extra salt added (can you tell I have doctors whose dictates I generally abide by?).
I don’t mind eating the same thing for a couple of days. I’m hopeless … Chili firmed up a lot after I took the pic. I will repeat myself, I usually don’t put beans in chili, but I need my vegetables :joy:

19 Likes

Chicken, rapini and napa cabbage stir-fry - chicken breast was velveted by marinating in a mixture of shaoxing wine, egg white and cornstarch and afterwards briefly (deep) fried in oil. Then stir-fried with rapini and napa cabbage with a sauce made from soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken broth, chili oil and chili flakes. Served with rice

18 Likes

Per Sunshine’s request – Mushroom Pizza!!

30 Likes

Cauliflower potato soup ala Instant Pot, garnished with crispy bacon & green onion…

21 Likes

Stir-fried mushrooms, bok choy, red cabbage and corn, with smoked fish, over rice. A combo of leftovers, stuff I picked up at Japan Village, and greenmarket vegetables. Oh, and some furikake.

23 Likes

Those look gorgeous

1 Like

Made a recipe I’ve had on my Want To Cook list for a few weeks, from 101 Cookbooks, which I really want to like but sometimes my efforts don’t match up with the author’s. But this one turned out pretty successfully!

This was kind of a complicated pick for a weeknight. I did not make labneh, but rather just grated some garlic into whole yogurt and used it as a sauce. I also refused to add a 4th pan to the endeavor and just wilted baby spinach on top of the bulgur pilaf and then mixed it in.

The tomatoes took forever to finish in my creaky, cranky 20 year old electric stove, but the extra 30 minutes they needed was worth it.

20 Likes

I worked the primary tonight, so dinner ended up being at 11:00 p.m. I made a quick quesadilla with corn tortilla and pepper jack cheese and had a stale grocery store cookie. That’s life! No pic.

In other news, our kiddo ate a chicken taco in a restaurant. That’s cause for celebration in these parts! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::sweat_smile:

25 Likes