What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Steak and salad.

22 Likes

Lemony shrimp & bean stew. I don’t remember who originally posted this recipe, but thank you. I never thought of putting shrimp and beans together. It’s a wonderful combination. Served with a Caesar salad, little gem wedgies, homemade dressing and croutons.

21 Likes

Day 4? 5? of winging it without a meal plan for the week. I found this recipe to match the ingredients I had on hand except for rice so I made soba noodles which worked ok!

18 Likes

Punched the card for North Indian favorites for dinner — Tandoori chicken, Butter chicken / Makhanwala, naan, rumali roti / handkerchief bread.

(It is a forever mystery to me why Tandoori chicken in the US tastes nothing like what it’s supposed to.)

The vegetarian went continental with Crepes Florentine; accompaniments of baby potatoes and sautéed “exotic” vegetables.

21 Likes

Well done onions! I’ll never catch up. This spanish style garlic shrimp gambas al ajillo is becoming a favorite!

For me

…and after several more minutes of cooking, for husband :grin:. I like that I can take mine out, and make his well done.

It does look good, but Kenji writes
“By the way, that thing that those show-offy Spanish restaurants like to do, where your shrimp comes in a hot cazuela sizzling away in bubbly-hot oil? It looks cool, but all it actually succeeds at is ensuring that your shrimp overcook as they sit there, bubbling away. Steer clear”. :person_shrugging:t5:

23 Likes

Now I’m craving butter chicken and tandoori chicken. Maybe this weekend .

3 Likes

I dunno, I mostly enjoy the spanish restaurant version and don’t need to be a perfectionist about it the way I might be picky at home.

I feel sorry for Kenji, because it’s a slippery slope.

2 Likes

I will certainly have to share that with husband. We definitely disagree about the doneness of our proteins, and he is sure the majority of “experts” get it wrong.

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion that there’s a wide range of “right”, so someone (“expert” or not) telling me the way I like to eat something is “wrong” doesn’t usually fly :joy:

Even toast has a wide range of doneness preferences :rofl:

5 Likes

Pasta with shrimps in a sauce made with dried tomatoes, tomato paste, scallions, garlic, parsley, basil, feta, heavy cream, dry vermouth and chicken broth

19 Likes

I mean I’ll eat tires simmering in oil of I could be at a Spanish restaurant in Spain for dinner tomorrow night :grin:

Yours looks delish!

4 Likes

Many of us here have, so I doubt that I was the first, but it is one of my favorite New York Times recipes, and one that I make often :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am in your doneness camp for shrimp. I find them to become rubbery or unpleasantly mushy when overcooked.

The snap and juiciness of perfect medium shrimp, OTOH :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Word!

2 Likes

The March WFD thread has been posted here:

9 Likes

I think we may have the same partner. I’m sorry to be the one to tell you.

1 Like

I once lived with an elderly relative and she happily ate shrimp when I cooked them and gave her some. Once I got her shrimp to cook and she proceeded to cook them for at least 15 minutes. They shrunk to the tiniest little rubber bands.

Sounds like Kenji’s never been to Madrid.

8 Likes

In my experience, the “rules” for how long to cook seafood - or anything, I guess - vary considerably from region to region. For instance, I think seafood is grievously over-cooked throughout the Caribbean. And probably someone from there would accuse me of serving it practically raw.

3 Likes

Could shellfish might be overcooked in the Carribean because of the risk of hepatitis? I’m not sure if that would prevent it, but I know shellfish can be a source of hepatitis in the Carribean and some other tropics.

I used to order/eat ceviche a lot. I now only order it from places with high quality seafood.

When I make ceviche now, I poach the seafood gently first, then add the lime before serving rather than letting it cook only by lime juice because I’m worried about pathogens.