NYT list of their most popular recipes of 2023

No gift option since it’s just a collection of recipes, so I hope this link isn’t entirely useless to non-subscribers :grimacing: :crossed_fingers:t3:

I can say that the “Marry Me chicken” was decidedly NOT worthy of a proposal, and my personal favorites are nowhere to be found.

What are they?

I agree that it’s a wan list – but while the NYT recipes are somewhat interesting, they tend generally to pull their punches.

I have made these several times since I first came across them. I’ve found the NYT cooking to be a more or less reliable source - at least for inspiration, since I don’t actually ever follow a recipe :grinning:

The ones linked below aren’t necessarily from this year, however. I usually ignore the Mark Bittman recipes as I find them incredibly basic, and I didn’t include Samin Nosrat’s wonderful buttermilk chicken bc it’s not technically a NYT recipe - though def also a household favorite.

Absolute favorite in our house, there are phases we make this several times a month.

Ditto on this shrimp and bean stew. Comes together in no time and is super versatile. You can use leeks or shallots, add spinach or not…

Love the lightness of this soupier version of a curry, and its versatility (I’ve made it with chicken thighs, any kind of white fish, shrimp, scallops… you get the picture).

This last one has been perfected by my PIC in a way that I could eat well over a pound of any green veg stir-fried by him, but preferably bok choy or gai lan.

I’ll see if I can think of others.

4 Likes

How could I forget this one? Comes together in seconds, and combines 3 of my favorite things: lemon, cream, and pasta :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks.

You’re welcome. I just blew most of my 10 gift links for the month on this, so I hope you at least have a gander :wink:

If anyone needs a gift link, please let me know.

2 Likes

The only recipe I’ve made from the list is the Goat Cheese and Dill Dutch Baby. It is delicious.

1 Like

I subscribe, but just curious, can you not dodge the paywall in a private browsing window? Not sure how that works with the Times, but I’ve been able to dodge other ones…

Perhaps, but I am a subscriber so I have access to it all :slight_smile:

Private browsing doesn’t work, but if you reload the page and quickly hit ESC a few times, you can get past the paywall for recipes (which I don’t subscribe to, just the paper and the games).

Re Mark Bittman’s recipes, there are two I’ve made repeatedly. One is his basic caramels (gift link) and the chocolate variation, which have been pretty foolproof and very popular.

The second is this stovetop “roast” duck recipe, which I’ve always made with duck legs rather than a whole cut-up duck. It really does taste like the actual article, though it’s important to cut the sugar in the sauce in half. It also yields lots of rendered duck fat before the sauce is added. (Another gift link.)

4 Likes

Hat tips for the NYT: The best value for an all-access digital subscription (which includes the paper and all its perks, including the extras like games, cooking, the Athletic if you care about sports, etc.) is a gift subscription at $150, which you can’t give yourself but which I arrange either by swapping with a friend or reimbursing someone to give me.

Also, if you cut and paste a gift article or recipe, the gift link retains, so you can pass it on to others if you’re not a subscriber. (By the way, if you subscribe to the paper including or in addition to Cooking, you get 10 each gift links per month to share for articles and recipes.)

7 Likes

At the moment, the NYT is running a discount on all-access gift subscriptions – just $60 for a year.

6 Likes

Omg you are a genius!!!
I had been paying the monthly fee for NYT and now feverishly texted my friend to gift me a subscription. Which technically, was originally gifted from him. That and Netflix. Then I just renewed both. I joked that maybe he gives this to all his friends and the providers give him a cut off the top… :roll_eyes::joy::joy::joy:

I’m too lazy to check whether this recipe was on the 2023 list, but I wholeheartedly recommend their recipe for Peruvian chicken with green sauce. Made this last night, and it was fantastic. Def a keeper.

5 Likes

Gift link.

3 Likes

Thank you! Trying to conserve them a bit since we’re early in the month. I’m only gonna share if someone specifically asks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lucky me, I got it BEFORE the gift link, no problem, don’t know why.

I always have extra ones, hit me up anytime.

1 Like