What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Seeing your pics of Dali always makes me miss it, but in the best, warm and fuzzy way of bringing back happy memories.

2 Likes

Your salads always look so good! (All of your meals look good but the salads especially. )

1 Like

For dinner tonight I made a Halifax donair, which is a Maritime delicacy similar to a döner kebab or a gyro sandwich.

I found out about it via this recipe:

Also written up and adapted here:

I made some fresh pita for it using this recipe more or less:

I thought it came out pretty well. The sauce, which is made with evaporated milk, sugar, and vinegar, is sweet unlike with döner kebabs and gyros.

32 Likes

Last night we had pan seared chicken thighs that had been dusted with Martha’s Creole spice mix garlic/EVOO sauteed baby broccoli and a little TJ baguette.

21 Likes

This looks fantastic, and is something I’ve long wanted to try making. Were you happy with the recipes from LAK?

I’ve also had an eye on an Alton Brown version, but I like the looks of yours.

1 Like

Wow!

1 Like

Thank you so much! My mom almost always made a salad to have with our dinners, and I still make a riff on her dressing. I swear if I don’t have a salad for more than a couple of days in a row I crave it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Temp on the loin looks poyfeck!

1 Like

That pita looks fab! So… is the döner/donair made with fish loaf, not meat?

It’s what I always strive for, but seldom achieve. And it cut like butter.

3 Likes

And now all I can think of is Coffee Talk with Linda Richman. :smile:

4 Likes

I just made this one, but I thought it came out well. It’s basically the recipe from the Matty Matheson video. This was the first time I’ve made a meatloaf like thing with a bain-marie. The Alton Brown recipe looks quite similar but with only lamb. Thanks for linking, I’ ll have to try it out sometime.

1 Like

Thanks! The meat is 50% beef, 25% lamb, and 25% pork.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve put it on my list…

I had to google, I don’t watch SNL. I almost typed buttah instead fo butter.

3 Likes

Hello! Turns out the recipe is now available on the Food & Wine website (the cookbook I have is a Best American Recipes book from 2003). Just had my leftovers for lunch, great the next day.

cc: @mariacarmen

7 Likes
4 Likes

Ah. I was confused by the “maritime” part. Looks delish!

1 Like

Ah ok, this is from Halifax in Nova Scotia in the Maritimes region of eastern Canada. I’ve never been there myself.

3 Likes

Romaine and spinach salad/ feta/Rio Mare tuna in olive oil/tomatoes/various pickled veggies and homemade , garlicky olive loaf croutons dressed with red wine vinaigrette for dinner.

18 Likes