What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

(post deleted by author)

Glazed pork chop on a bed of spicy bok choy/scallion fried rice.

That fat cap got some good caramelization I tell you what 😋😊🤌🏻

28 Likes

Homemade hot smoked salmon belly and pumpernickel from the bread machine. Salmon adapted from this recipe - https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-hot-smoke-salmon

I used pecan sawdust in a nice sized pile on some foil in my EC Dutch oven. Salmon bellies got put on some parchment cut to each of their sizes and placed on a rack above it. Once the dust started smoking, I timed it for 10 minutes on medium and 5 minutes on low. Came out perfect!

25 Likes

Finally, a two-day reprieve from having the house full of workers. That said, they are working amazingly fast & put in almost all the dry wall today. We’re hopeful that the estimated 4-6 weeks were way pessimistic.

My PITA held off until I drove my elderly neighbor around for some errands in the early afternoon, but after 20 min in the car it got pretty unbearable. I’ve avoided taking any meds for it so far, but might pop half a tramadol late in the hopes that I won’t toss my cookies/dinner for it. Bc dinner was delish :yum:

I picked up a beautiful Norwegian salmon filet I brushed with a lil olive oil and Penzey’s Northwoods seasoning, roasted at 400 for about 12 minutes, and topped it with garlicky sautéed king oyster shrooms and a few plebeian :smile: oyster shrooms . Salad on the side bc of course there was a salad on the side - enough for lunch tomorrow, too.

20 Likes

Halibut , rice and eggplant - peppers.

21 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

I made baked ziti for dinner tonight - I’d been craving it for awhile and it will be great to have some in the freezer for future meals.

25 Likes

Leftover Senate Bean Soup from the freezer. Angel biscuits with butter and homemade peach jam.

21 Likes

Oh, man. Looks good! Now I want baked ziti…

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve had it on the brain for about a week - finally had the energy to do it!

3 Likes

Same. I miss NYC.

1 Like

I tasked the BF with making the most tender meatballs possible, and he aced it. He thought he may have gone a tad overboard with the panade as he used more white bread than called for - they were really as tender as the polenta in texture! Still, really delicious, and his marinara was spot-on. a ball of bufala mozz on the side with some basil serving as vegetable. Happy Friday, everyone.

27 Likes

Sardinian rice salad from a circa 2003 cookbook. Someone on here recommended Eat Your Books and I’m enjoying rediscovering my older cookbooks via the service – plenty of recipes I’ve never tried in those old books.

Anyway this has capers, cornichon, kalamata olives, hard boiled egg, canned tuna, and lots of lemon and EVOO. Very satisfying!

25 Likes

That looks delicious - would be great for a picnic. Could I trouble you for the recipe?

3 Likes

this is SO right up my alley!

2 Likes

I can tomorrow! :grin:

3 Likes

Tonight was a bit of cheung fun I brought home from another delicious Chinatown visit with HO friends

Last night, one last batch of Ants Climbing a Tree to finish up the ground turkey I had cooked with all the “stuff”.

I’ve been switching up the sauce a bit for the noodles, which has been fun. Yesterday I used two I haven’t used in a while, one was a chilli black bean sauce and the other a fermented chilli garlic paste someone had mentioned here but I didn’t like as a dipping sauce. Well, as a cooking sauce, superb!

Also prepped and cooked a pile of snow peas with ginger and sesame oil.

25 Likes

Sunny day #2, I’m in hog heaven. In keeping with the theme: Pork tenderloin, beer bbq sauce, roasted brussels & carrots in bacon grease, splash of bourbon, maple syrup and the bacon. Salad, oak leaf, little gem, radicchio, celery, dates and pistachios, honey mustard dressing.

23 Likes

A wonderful evening at my home away from home,Dali Restaurant in Somerville, MA, with a friend.

Sangria was poured, we got prime seats at the bar. All was right in the world as tapas came out.

Sangria. LOTS of sangria!

Garlic Shrimp and grilled bread.

Baby lamb chops with an apricot sauce.

Roast duck with blackberry sauce.

Chorizo with caramelized onions and butter beans. (Needed more beans, less onions.)

Churros with chocolate and dulce de leche sauces.

There WAS plenty of Cuarenta y Tres with the churros as well.

T’was a really good Friday night.

27 Likes

Thank you!