What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

that looks fantastic! i’ll have to check out his salsa matcha recipe - i tried making one for a party a couple months ago and it turned out bland and unusable.

1 Like

From the freezer: an Italian cabbage soup with sausage and beans. Buttered toast.

19 Likes

It’s one of those days where you aren’t hungry so you can’t make up your mind what to cook.Then you have Martinez and all of a sudden you’re starving. Freezer to the rescue. #leftovers. Venison chili and corn bread, lots of onion and sharp cheddar for the chili and butter for the corn bread. A little avocado and radishes. Hit the spot.

19 Likes

Pan-seared sea scallops. Reduction of dry vermouth and lemon juice with butter and capers. Pureed cauliflower with garlic, Pecorino, and more butter, of course. Steamed asparagus. This trio worked exceptionally well!

The scallops were frozen. The bag said “jumbo”. The bag lied.

There was a martini.

27 Likes
1 Like

Just a very simple pork loin roast and green beans with honey mustard dressing. On Fridays my interest in all things domestic is usually at a low point.

24 Likes

I feel that.

1 Like

Leftover cider pork roast, veg, and rice with green peas; new salad and green beans.

It has been a week! Praying my kiddo isn’t coming down with another icky illness. Just got him back asleep after a wet coughing fit.

22 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

The usual: myself and the ether. Who did you think?

Dinner last night was a veritable Goan feast with fellow Onions.

Posting my favorites here; the full meal is reported on the thread below.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/indian-table-restaurant-week-goan-nyc-brooklyn/30399/16?u=saregama

Croquetas De Bacalhao

Tony’s Shack Cheese Mankyo (Squid in a creamy sauce)

Beef Fritters

Crab XEC XEC,

Semolina batter spice marinated fried fish ‘Rawa Fry” kismor

Beef Cutlets

17 Likes

I just meant that I, too, know the feeling very well.

3 Likes

I wondered as well what you meant :upside_down_face:

Aah, I wasn’t sure what you meant. I’m sorry for what you have been through / are going through. (It’s oddly comforting that there are folks out there feeling similar feelings, even though the feelings are not the best and I wouldn’t wish them on anyone :flushed: :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Generally as time goes on, I am starting to agree with you guys on the NYT cooking. It’s just that when I first started using it, it was a rough dozen very good recipes that had been strongly recommended by friends and coworkers over the course of a couple of years.

So I started off with a pretty favorable bias. It’s only the last couple of years that I’ve tried quite a few now that don’t live up to the ones that had been hand-picked by friends.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Freezer diving has saved me more times than I can count.

4 Likes

I take zero blame for the martinez and its consequences :upside_down_face: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Your dinner still looks amazing, despite your low ebb!

3 Likes

Looking at the menu online, I see that the squid dish has Amul cheese and a “garlic, pepper, and herb” roux. Any other flavors going on in there that popped out? Feels like the kind of thing I might want to try to reverse engineer at some point…

That meal looks awesome!

1 Like

All’s well that ends well.

2 Likes