What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

I was expecting haddock or cod, since fish fry is usually some type of white fish, so this was an excellent surprise! I almost ordered another portion just for myself, but the gals wanted to try other things. I coulda made a meal of those.

I can only abide chickpeas as falafel or hummus, they’re utterly pointless to me as a food otherwise.

2 Likes

Patio sounds good. You can hide from view but the smell travels! Husband made it. He’s made it before but this time was particularly tasty. He mashed up some recipes with some video techniques.

1 Like

Hi Peter, if you have time and it’s not too time intensive, could you outline the recipe? Drums here are half price this week, and bone-in thighs were half price last week, so I’ve got some of both and that looks damned delicious.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll see if I have it somewhere that I can copy/paste, if not I’ll just do it from memory. Not really difficult.

3 Likes

Last night was leftover shrimp scampi with linguine, a salad, and some more of those sautéed king trumpet/oyster mushrooms. I’d originally made the scampi on Tues when my GF daughter was home, and then just separately tossed an eyeballed 1/3 on her 8 ounces of GF linguine and our 16 oz of regular Rao’s linguine. I was shooting for 2 meals per each of the 3 of us and it worked out just right (she took hers back to college early Wed morning). Bag salads were half-price last week so that’s on the side.

But I forgot to take a pic Tuesday. This one below is, if memory serves, a second serving of the leftovers (last scraps of it).

I had already had some wine so I decided it was a good idea to sauté the mushrooms sort of “Mystery Oil” style. I used about a teaspoon each of one I had labeled “herb garlic ghee” (with no info about what the herbs might have been) and another labeled “spiced oil, July 29” (no info about spices, although coloration indicates some turmeric). Then a couple teaspoons of regular salted butter.

I got lucky - they tasted great. I sliced into matchsticks and stirred about half in with the pasta mix and the rest were available for tossing onto the salad or just munching (which is how my wife liked them).

20 Likes

Second this request. I can never have too many chicken recipes :grin:

So meaty. Not the most flavorful of shrooms, but it grills/sautés so nicely without too much shrinkage.

I may have to pick some up at the Asian grocer next time I go. They’re so good in stir-fries and/or pasta, too :yum:

3 Likes

Chicken and rice

This is pretty simple. Poach/simmer chicken legs and or thighs in salted water for about 35-40 mins. You can use breasts(bone in) but because of the cooking time, about an hour start to finish, I find they dry out a bit it’s up to you. While the chicken is poaching, slice and sauté 1 med onion and one Cubanell pepper until nicely colored ,brown-ish. Add a table spoon of tomato paste and some canned or fresh diced tomato(not too much) and some paprika(tsp) and fry it up for about a minute or so, add a pinch of dried oregano. Add some of the chicken broth to loosen it up a bit and bring to a simmer. Add rice and coat it with the tomato mixture, we use good old Uncle Ben’s Converted rice, but I’m sure basmati, jasmine or your favorite will also work, bring rice/stock to a simmer transfer this to a shallow baking dish and add more stock(I just eyeball it and add more stock if needed, but it’s usually 2 to 1 liquid to rice season with S&P and add chicken. Coat the pieces of bird with some of the liquid sprinkle a touch more paprika over the chicken and rice. Plop into a pre heated 350 deg oven for about 20-30 mins or until the rice is cooked to your liking. This is a pretty standard technique for most of mom’s recipes. You can add garlic, herbs, spice/heat. You can make a real stock by adding veg to the liquid. Pretty easy and flexible recipe, Enjoy!
YMMV, this is a recipe my Mom taught me, she never really used any measurements, everything was eyeballed and from memory. If you have any questions feel free to ask :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile: It’s a 2 pot/pan dish, one to simmer the bird, and one to bake it. I used wide shallow SS pan for the baking.

4 Likes

In case you might want another chicken and rice, this has been a favorite since I first tried it last year and every time I’ve made it has been just as satisfying and easy. I increase the chicken pieces to six. My mom and I have been known to finish off the whole 9x13 dish ourselves.:joy:
I typically marinate the chicken overnight so that 1% salt can work its magic.
The ingredients list is in the description box and easily translated by the browser if Spanish is an issue.

14 Likes

Aww :smiling_face:

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was Pineapple-Orange Chicken over rice topped with chopped broccoli. My old “jiggler weight” pressure cooker & rice cooker make this dish easy to prepare.
Initially, Sunshine stated she didn’t want any dessert, but she stumbled across her Valentine’s day candy I had hidden away (purchased earlier that day) and enjoyed some of that. I need a better hiding spot.

22 Likes

Dude!

3 Likes

When a Pineapple Express comes rolling in, you roll out the beef stew.

Capture

19 Likes

A fairly cold day here in Tokushima with a high of just 9℃/48.2°F without even factoring in the wind chill which is always a problem just like in places such as Chicago or Buffalo.

So I made ramen with wonton. The ramen are dried noodles, but not instant (I haven’t bought instant ramen in a few years). They come with 2 seasoning packages, one dried, one liquid. I use the liquid one. but not the dried one and replace that one with chicken consommé. The wonton are sold chilled, but definitely not “fresh” and also come with a liquid seasoning package which I used as well.

I added a mixture of cut vegetables such as Chinese cabbage, brown beech mushrooms (a type of shimeji), bean sprouts (I added extra of those) and carrots. Both the ramen and wonton come in a package with enough for 2 meals and as I have plenty of vegetables left over, I’ll be having this for dinner tonight again.

It’ll be rather cold for another month or two, so I expect to be making more such meals until it warms up.

22 Likes

I love these fungi.

They’re like enoki’s bigger and badder cousin.

5 Likes

Whom are you telling that to?

We were very happy to discover that our former CSA now allows retail shopping when they come to town on Thursdays to hand out orders. So we grabbed carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes and beets.
Roasted some of the turnips and sweet potatoes with white taters and served with London broil basted with herb butter. Wine on the table. Happy Friday to all (depending on your time zone).

24 Likes

I had taken out a b/s chicken breast from the freezer last night, but didn’t know what I wanted to do with it all day today.

I went with a fallback recipe of my Mom’s from a 1968 Panhellenic cookbook: Chicken Diable.

Near East rice pilaf and peas as the sides.

And wine.

22 Likes