What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

There was a farmer had a dog and bingo was his name-oh. My local grocer has pork loin half-price this week, so I need to get a few more small ones like this.

My rosemary plant is dying so I shook off a bunch of needles and pasted with garlic and salt. Tasty and super easy, served with the last of grocery bag salad and some small steamed/buttered taters.

Unfortunately as often happens, I didn’t think to get a pic last night - this is slices for a lunch sandwich today.

Edit - I also made this yesterday/last night and stuck the whole pot in the fridge after it cooled to RT, recalling a recent convo about stuff that is better the day after it’s made.

It’s one of the “Hambeens” brand 15 bean soup plus my own alterations (mostly having to do with making a smoked pork hock/smoked turkey broth to use in the soup). It’s got so much collagen (or is it gelatin?) that even at room temp, it’s as firm as Jell-O out of the fridge.

My 2nd daughter is the on-call engineer this weekend at her production facility so she can’t go visit friends and implored my wife to come up and visit until tomorrow, so I sent about 2 quarts of the soup up with my wife, for my daughters lunches next week. I actually add about 1 more quart of liquid (broth) than what’s called for in the Hambeens instructions but it turns out great. We haven’t eaten this as a meal but I did “test” it while portioning out my daughter’s serving and Damn! it’s tasty.

21 Likes

Some folks remarked that it was like pasta — a light bechamel, the Amul component wasn’t overwhelming, and the squid had been cooked till tender.

Wouldn’t be hard to reverse-engineer — cook the squid in a light white sauce till tender, and finish with a little Amul. If you want a bit of heat, a little green chilli would work well (there may have been some, and possibly ginger or garlic, but some of the other apps had heavier spicing so I couldn’t detect them).

Would actually be nice over pasta (capellini).

2 Likes

Thanks! I was wondering with “shack cheese” in the title if they were trying for something like a Shake Shack cheese sauce, but a lightly cheesy bechamel makes more sense.

Buttery but light

ETA: If you’re making bechamel, PSA to make the croquetas!!!

1 Like

Croquetas are also on my list to do! I don’t have salt cod in the house currently, but February vacation is only a few weeks away!

I used to cook in and judge bbq competitions. I gave my smokers to friends when we moved to nyc and embarked on a journey to cook ribs in our gas oven. After a year of kitchen experiments I’ve made progress on appearance and texture but the real challenge is imparting a smoky taste and honestly, I’m next to nowhere on that front.

wondering if my marriage will survive telling my better half we have to buy one of these for our limited kitchen space (after I bought an indoor electric pizza oven over the holidays):

18 Likes

Last night’s were fresh fish, I think, not dried and rehydrated. But they told us that they normally make them with mackerel, so it would seem any fish goes?

But also I am remembering that my last few posts to you were “take it easy!” and now I’m like “MAKE CROQUETAS!” — so, maybe no :joy:

2 Likes

Umm those ribs :heart_eyes:

Well, if you the liquid smoke route won’t cut it, that very compact setup is the only viable solution :woman_shrugging:t2:

I’d be happy to say that out loud to mrs v next meal if some ribs from said smoker were in the balance.

2 Likes

:rofl: Moderation in all things, including moderation!

I have calamari fra diavolo on the menu plan for this week, but let’s see what happens when I get the next seafood shipment!

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: That is food sexy!

1 Like

Last of the chicken and rice(only thighs left as I snacked on the drums), a few splashes of Franks, a shower of Parm/Regg and Bob’s yer uncle.

22 Likes

Visited our local Lebanese bakery today, brought home hummus, baba ganoush, houm and their bean salad. So we pan seared some boneless/skinless thighs with peppers and onions & a few spices , warmed up a few Angel pita breads and poured the wine. Very tasty dinner and (mostly) good for us too.

23 Likes

My kind of meal. Both chicken and pita look fab! Did you mean to write ‘toum?’

3 Likes

Errands.
Haircut.
Wegmans.
Scallops.
Pan-seared.
Lemon-shallot-white wine sauce.
Leftover rice pilaf.
Steamed asparagus.
Christmas gift wine from my sister and BIL
NO, I’m not the middle sister, I’m the eldest.
But she bought it for the label.
I’ve trained her well. :wink:

Not too shabby.

26 Likes

Yes, Toum is what I meant,…thanks!

4 Likes

I’ve become partial to those fluffy pitas over the other kinds, but they’re not very widely available near me. The pocketless ones are easy to find, as are regular and thin. Small and fluffy, not so much.

Dinner looks good!

1 Like

Leftover pan pizza from the freezer, with the dregs of a jar of home-packed pickled peppers. Salad greens in vinaigrette with marinated artichokes.

For dessert (if anyone chooses): homemade vanilla ice cream. Personally, I’m already stuffed.

21 Likes

I made flat bread pizza. Stonefire crust, pizza sauce, pizza blend cheese, onion, leek, garlic, artichoke hearts and baby bells that I had lightly caramelized, chorizo. Manchego and cilantro to finish. Salad, lettuce, tomato, cuke, red onion, oo&v dressing. I had an Americano and sangria.

23 Likes

Dinner tonight was Nobu’s Miso Black Cod, marinated in Saikyo Miso for 4 days. (This was the other reason I went to WF last weekend; I marinated 4 fillets and froze the other 3 two days ago.)

Found sautéed king oyster mushrooms in the freezer (woot!), made fresh rice, and rounded it all out with leftover sautéed spinach. Extra miso sauce on the fish and the mushrooms.

When I make this with black cod every few times, it reminds me how much good it is (but sadly not available to me whenever I please). Buttery and deeply flavored by the marinade. Meanwhile, I’ve given up on my broiler giving me any color :woman_facepalming:t2:

20 Likes

Take-out fried calamari and Spaghetti al Limone from Terroni in Toronto. Hit the spot. Tired of my cooking.

16 Likes