What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Turkey Chili, using leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Sautéed onions and roasted red peppers, used some dried Penzeys chopped garlic, since I didn’t have any fresh cloves, Penzeys’ medium-hot chili powder and cumin.

Added a couple of cans of kidney beans, some Pomi strained tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, some BTB chicken stock, and lots of diced turkey.

Let it all simmer, then added a cup of previously made sweet potato mash with ginger, maple syrup, and a touch of heavy cream to help thicken it all up. Seasoned with dried oregano, and served it on top of elbow noodles with grated Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream. Parsley for the green vs the other dreaded green that will never pass through my doors. :wink:

Wine.

22 Likes

My PIC got back mid-morning, just in time to serve me my coffee in bed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

He brought back two different kinds of bacon (1/2lb each) from a market he went to while away, as well as half of a NY strip steak leftover from his dinner, the latter of which we shared for our prelude to the main event: shwings.

He made his luscious blue cheese dip bc wingsover’s is garbage. Meat-a-palooza @casa lingua.

15 Likes

A friend from my college years is the same. When we have a meal out together, we’re always vigilant to make sure that dreaded green is not an uninvited guest at the table.

3 Likes

Shwings look great. Take out or cooked in?

Three-cheese pizza with soppressata and black olives. Honey and red chili flakes optional. Baby spinach and grated carrots in vinaigrette.

Just as we finished drying the last dish the power went out (high winds). Sitting here in the dark with our router plugged in to a big arse battery. It’s all good, man.

21 Likes
7 Likes

Thai red curry with chicken, sweet potato, and cherry tomatoes. Riffed from a recipe from Hot Thai Kitchen.

20 Likes

Takeout from wingsover, a smallish chain.

Tonight’s dinner was fish curry with green beans and rice.

18 Likes

A good friend had a salad she had purchased for lunch from some local-to-her-then-workplace in Boston ruined because of it. She didn’t notice that the salad was made of “lettuces and herbs” - and it was one of the herbs.

2 Likes

If you’re lucky enough to count @Saregama as one of your friends, she can tell you where to buy fresh noodles, how to separate the noodles, what cookware to use and how to sauce the dish, resulting in what my wife called restaurant quality chow fun.

29 Likes

That looks great.
Just saw big Bunches of Yellow Chives at my local Thai Market, I think I have an Idea of what I want to do with them… :thinking:
Thanks

1 Like

Working my way towards make Dosa for Dinner
Potato Masala with Cashews, Fried Channa Dal, Spinach and Carrot. Non-traditional (but not unheard of) Additions an effort to make a healthier (less Carbo dense) Meal. The Batter that is Fermenting is also higher in Dal than the typical 4:1 Rice to Dal Ratio.

16 Likes

Thanks - noted! this will happen soon as I have everything we need for it at home!

1 Like

actually, i thought we had them here too… but not sure now…

Funny, I’ve been dying to make dosa, thinking about starting with batter from one of our local shops. Unfortunately we don’t have a flat griddle but I’ve had my eye on the lodge griddle for a while. I’m thinking I can easily make masala in our instant pot but sambar and coconut chutney might be a lot work.

Best,

1 Like

Doubt it. The branch furthest west is just west of Chicago. But a lot of branches in the NE.

I use a large Cast Iron Skillet, no problems.
Sambar is quite easy once you make the Powder (or purchase it, easier).
If you have a Mini Chop or a Hand Blender and frozen coconut shredded also quick and easy

I made the elaborate red-wine sauced short ribs from serious eats.

I loved them, but I think mom was mostly uninterested. These have an entire bottle of red and an entire bottle of port in the sauce, so that’s pretty expensive disinterest!

26 Likes

Braised chicken thighs in butter, chicken stock, cream with mushrooms and shallots, served with mashed potatoes, garnished with fresh parsley. (we eat a fair amount of chicken).

20 Likes