What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

4 Likes

Ah. I was confused by the “maritime” part. Looks delish!

1 Like

Ah ok, this is from Halifax in Nova Scotia in the Maritimes region of eastern Canada. I’ve never been there myself.

3 Likes

Romaine and spinach salad/ feta/Rio Mare tuna in olive oil/tomatoes/various pickled veggies and homemade , garlicky olive loaf croutons dressed with red wine vinaigrette for dinner.

18 Likes

Oh, how great. Having the recipe on the website makes it easier to print, too. Glad to hear the salad holds over well. Thank you so much for remembering!

2 Likes

It’s a quite a regional favourite. There are a handful of places in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta that sell Halifax style Donairs.

The Halifax Donair, with its sweet sauce, was conceived in the 1970s by Peter Gamoulakos.

4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was tuna tataki over baby spinach and chard, drizzled with a little miso-tahini dressing along with the traditional ponzu et al dressing. Sichuan cukes on the side, but I didn’t have room.

29 Likes

That looks fantastic

2 Likes

Smash burgers for the 4 of us tonight. Served on toasted bread with cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and spicy Russian dressing available. Accompanied by air fryer crinkle fries, wine, soda and Campari cocktails.

24 Likes

Pan-seared BISO chicken thighs seasoned with s/p and cooked in a combo of olive oil and butter for 5 minutes each side. Chopped onions added in to sauté and everything sprinkled with minced fresh thyme.

Some cognac added to cook down, then chicken removed. Added 1/2 cup of homemade chicken stock and let it simmer until reduced by half. Added a couple of Tbsp of heavy cream, simmered till it started to thicken, tossed in a large handful of red grapes on their last legs, and put the chicken thighs back in to warm up.

Roasted paprika baby potatoes and steamed asparagus as the sides. Plus wine.

24 Likes

Stayed up late last night watching stoopid movies, and wasn’t all too happy when the chonkster started “charming” my face off around 9am bc he was staaahving :roll_eyes:

Two of my gal pals were part of a mid-day multimedia event out in the boonies: a reading, a phone photography exhibit (she gifted me a beautiful sunset I would’ve gladly purchased), and a musical performance from my other friend. A bunch of us car-pooled to the venue, talking about food the entire drive – so when we got there we pretty much destroyed the (salami, cheese, veggies & crackers) buffet, as apparently none of us had had a proper breakfast or lunch :grimacing: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A few peeps asked if I wanted to Go Out & Do Stuff tonight, but I’m quite happy with another eve on the couch. My PIC’s been enjoying good food and libations on his “work” trip, and is dining at a French bistro tonight.

As for WWFD chez moi: the leftover salad I didn’t have for lunch and fettuccine ai due funghi, i.e. more royal and plebeian oyster shrooms sautéed in olive oil & ghee along with shallots and garlic, a splash of rosé, a kiss of heavy cream, a squeeze of lemon, a lil pasta water, a handful of chopped parsley, and a sprinkle of parmiggiano Reggiano.

I had 1.5 helpings bc it was so damn good, then forced myself to put the rest in the fridge. All that healthy eatin’ n 'at, ya know? :upside_down_face:

18 Likes

Hai…can we be friends…? :grin:

8 Likes

Oh yes! Will send an invite the next time we start the flat top for smashing!

3 Likes

17 Likes

Locally made Parmesan potato truffle pierogi and sautéed mushroom platter for Saturday night dinner. We made a green salad for the side. No photo because you already know what that looks like.

23 Likes

That looks fun. Is it like 3 lbs?

3 Likes

funny family guy, mom, mom, mom, hi - Dump A Day

7 Likes

Or it’s a real tight closeup in a very small bowl. :smirk:

1 Like

What a beautiful plate of food! Does your child eat this, or did you make something different for him?

1 Like

#50shadesofbrown :yum:

1 Like