What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Phoenix-tail fried shrimp. Cabbage-filled egg rolls because vegetables. Long-grain rice. Sweet soy dipping sauce.

The shrimp recipe, a favorite, comes from Barbara Tropp’s The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking. Butterflied shrimp are marinated in mirin, ginger and scallions. The batter contains more ginger and scallions, along with sesame seeds. Holding on to the tail, the battered shrimp are dunked in hot oil and given a shake before frying fully to encourage the traditional “Phoenix tail” shape.

24 Likes

Leftovers - had a lot of red dal, so i spiced it up and used the leftover egg from the BF’s pie crust wash for some extra protein. Dal got reheated with turmeric, cardamom, cumin, minced red thai chilis, and loads of cilantro. Leftover basmati rice too, and a sprinkling of groundnut chutney. A little bit of sliced Persian cukes for a fresh crunch. The egg and dal turned out to be a great combo! Nice and spicy.

And speaking of pie crust, BF made his first ever from scratch because the nearest store to us had no frozen ones. OF COURSE, they turned out great! Pretty and pretty flaky.

30 Likes

Absolutely. That is what makes this version a standout. I have made different types of tourtière, but none of them combined the two textures of pork. Thank you for posting the link. I also have to blame @Phoenikia for craving tourtière. Her picture a few days ago had me daydreaming about this. :wink:

2 Likes

It will make great leftovers.

2 Likes

It was and @biondanonima posted the recipe link.

2 Likes

The Lac St Jean tourtière, which contains several types of meat, also uses chunks of meat, rather than ground only. I like the pulled pork texture element. I haven’t made or tried Lac St Jean tourtière yet.

Here is a Tourtière thread.

Thanks. This has been an ongoing thing for a few years. Good days and bad days. Some days I eat everything and other days I can’t or it won’t stay down. Just a way of life now.

4 Likes

Pasta Salad - unlimited number of recipes available. This one lets you sauté onions, red pepper, carrots, peas and corn before briefly cooking them in vegetable broth so that they start to be softer but still have some bite. Mix with pasta and the sauce made from mayonnaise, sour cream, cornichons , mustard, white wine vinegar, paprika and just a pinch of curry powder.

13 Likes

LOL I don’t remember participating, but there I am. Btw, thanks. I have Where the River Narrows right here from the local library. Will definitely have to try some of the recipes soon.

1 Like

That crust is gorgeous!

2 Likes

Ugh! And your dinner sounds good. Hope you’re feeling better today!

Thank you. Picard’s recipe makes a very nice crust. If you handle it carefully it turns out almost like puff pastry, which is what the Big J thought it was last night.

I hope you use chop sticks or tongs for that!

I havent ever - maybe I should!

Braising Daikon in a Stew is a great way to gain an appreciation for the Vegetable. It becomes very mellow and almost sweet. It has a very soft but juicy(not sure how to describe it) Texture.

7 Likes

I’m going to be spending a substantial amount of time in the kitchen today: a dear friend had just embarked on the trip of a lifetime – traveling all over India with her family – when her sister passed suddenly, and under awful circumstances. I can barely imagine the heartbreak at receiving such news during what should be a joyous adventure and making lasting memories…

She’s also now the sole caretaker of her mother, who is struggling with late-stage dementia (I know many of you have dealt with this, including myself).

And so, a bunch of us organized a meal train, and today it’s my turn. I’m making “my” Tuscan soup, but will be frying up the HAWTT Italian snossidges from TJ’s separately and won’t add them to the soup, as her littlest one isn’t keen on too much spice. Pickup is at 4:30pm, then it’s time to focus on casa lingua’s meal: roasting the birdie that’s been salt-bathing in the fridge since Monday, and the carrots & fingerlings. I haven’t decided which of the many methods mentioned and recommended here I’ll use, but you can be yo ass it’ll be the easiest, least fussy!

SE recommends blanching the carrots so they roast evenly (I want caramelization), and I may do the same for the fingerlings so I can just throw them in the oven along with the boyd.

No Food January has been going swell.

19 Likes

Tonight’s was another version of kathi rolls / frankies but with homemade flatbreads for a change. I liked these much better than what we’ve been having of late with the takeout rumali rotis.

A different kabab inside too – Malai (cream) seekh kabab, gentler and different spicing than the usual seekh kabab (green chilli vs red).

Mom had the last of the soya chaap / mock chicken burrah kababs in hers. I chopped them small, and she shocked me by eating two rolls instead of one. (I think the lighter, whole wheat, homemade flatbread was probably the differentiator.)

Pickled onions with red chilli and cumin, green chutney, and chaat masala to finish, and I made the meat ones with an egg layer like the frankies / kathi rolls we order in (I like the egg layer a lot).

We started with a snack of a savory cabbage and onion cake that my (late) great aunt used to make when we visited – my sis called her daughter to check the recipe (which made my aunt very happy).

(We are in high stress and anticipation of mom’s first departure from the house tomorrow since we brought her home from the ICU last year; fingers crossed for a clean chit from the cardiologist to get her off the energy-sapping shit-meds – that helped save her life, of course, for which we will forever be thankful.)

28 Likes

Kitteh approves!!

1 Like

Here’s hoping.

7 Likes

No frills dinner last night. Cold sub with Applegate smoked turkey, Provolone, tomato, onion, hot cherry peppers, Dijon, mayo, and a splash of red wine vinegar. And lots of ground pepper. Some no salt added chips and Johnnie Red on the side.

29 Likes