What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

You must be new to this, buddy :wink:

1 Like

Tourtière du Shack by Au Pied du Cochon’s Martin Picard. I used the recipe he submitted to Bon Appetit in 2012. It’s rib sticking food that’s perfect for this cold weather. Yes, the crust alone uses a whole pound of butter, but who’s counting calories when you need to go out in sub zero temperatures? I try to make this at least once a cold season. It’s extremely good.

29 Likes

That looks great!

4 Likes

Mashed potato crusted haddock with fried sage leaves and garlic, adapted from this recipe - https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/garlic-roasted-cod-mashed-potato-crust

I can’t recommend enough drowning this casserole in TPSTOBGAS (GARLIC AND SAGE) rather than tossing the minced garlic on the fillets before crusting with the potatoes. Make the casserole as directed otherwise, fry the garlic and sage in some butter (play judicious chicken with how brown the garlic gets), and then pour it, channeling your inner Nigella Lawson, lustily over the finished casserole. Serve with aplomb.

24 Likes

I roasted a boneless skinless chicken thigh with Emeril’s Essence seasoning. Also made Smitten Kitchen’s lemon potatoes and Amy Thielen’s green beans with lemon vodka cream. Unfortunately my stomach is upset and I can’t eat. Oh well I have lunch for tomorrow.

12 Likes

Pork Dillkött, potatoes, carrots, tuna mushroom frittata, and baked apples

5 Likes

Gorgeous tourtière and I’ll bet it was delicious!!

2 Likes

High/low dinner: microwaved frozen Deep spinach paneer and saffron rice dinner (tasty but unsatisfying at 310 calories) plus homemade butter chicken thigh using Alexandra Cooks recipe scaled down to a single serving. Complete bastardization of an entire continent’s cuisine but hit the spot on a cold snowy night.

24 Likes

Yet another snow day, and this time the university even made it official. I’m beginning to really enjoy being shacked up in the house, TBH. Lotsa time with the kitty in bed, a chance to catch up on reading, and just plain staying cozy. We are lucky :blush:

Came across SE’s recipe for fesenjān on Facebook today & was able to convince my PIC to make it. We also briefly debated making tahdig, but that seemed just a little bit too much of a PITA. Instead, he made his lovely pilaf.

I made baba ghanoush for our starter (jarred grilled eggplant from the Turkish store, Fage, lemon juice, garlic, s&p, tahini, fresh parsley) we scooped up with flatbread,

and Piyaz salad (flavor bombs, cukes, sumac onions, lemon juice, olive oil, s&p & more fresh parsley as a side.

A Turkish / Levant / ME mélange of a meal, if you will. Very filling, and mighty tasty.

Finishing the last 3 epis of Fargo :sob: :sob: :sob: for dessert.

24 Likes

I hope you feel better soon.

3 Likes

I’m happy to be reminded of this recipe! It is so good! I’ve been making it for years - found it in a Food & Wine cookbook “Quick From Scratch Fish & Shellfish” (1998). There will be leftover mashed potatoes from a meal we have planned for tomorrow - will buy some cod and use the extra mash for this dish. Thank you.

2 Likes

Obviously :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the recipe I use for tourtiere as well, although I alter the spicing a bit and use my own pie crust recipe. The blend of ground and braised, shredded pork is DIVINE. Yours looks picture perfect. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tourti-re-du-shack in case anyone wants the link.

3 Likes

Soup and salad. Chicken noodle soup, spinach salad, grated hbe, bacon bits and red salad dressing. Gin and wine.

21 Likes

Phoenix-tail fried shrimp. Cabbage-filled egg rolls because vegetables. Long-grain rice. Sweet soy dipping sauce.

The shrimp recipe, a favorite, comes from Barbara Tropp’s The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking. Butterflied shrimp are marinated in mirin, ginger and scallions. The batter contains more ginger and scallions, along with sesame seeds. Holding on to the tail, the battered shrimp are dunked in hot oil and given a shake before frying fully to encourage the traditional “Phoenix tail” shape.

24 Likes

Leftovers - had a lot of red dal, so i spiced it up and used the leftover egg from the BF’s pie crust wash for some extra protein. Dal got reheated with turmeric, cardamom, cumin, minced red thai chilis, and loads of cilantro. Leftover basmati rice too, and a sprinkling of groundnut chutney. A little bit of sliced Persian cukes for a fresh crunch. The egg and dal turned out to be a great combo! Nice and spicy.

And speaking of pie crust, BF made his first ever from scratch because the nearest store to us had no frozen ones. OF COURSE, they turned out great! Pretty and pretty flaky.

30 Likes

Absolutely. That is what makes this version a standout. I have made different types of tourtière, but none of them combined the two textures of pork. Thank you for posting the link. I also have to blame @Phoenikia for craving tourtière. Her picture a few days ago had me daydreaming about this. :wink:

2 Likes

It will make great leftovers.

2 Likes

It was and @biondanonima posted the recipe link.

2 Likes

The Lac St Jean tourtière, which contains several types of meat, also uses chunks of meat, rather than ground only. I like the pulled pork texture element. I haven’t made or tried Lac St Jean tourtière yet.

Here is a Tourtière thread.