What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Your food and pictures always look so beautiful! You are giving me a run for my money food photography wise :grinning:

2 Likes

Cauliflower and Avocado Salad - oven roasted curry cauliflower mixed with baby spinach, pomegranate seeds and avocado - and vinaigrette made from olive oil, white balsamic and mustard

16 Likes

My local grocery store had a 5 pound bag of potatoes and a 3 pound bag of onions on digital coupon for 67 cents (each)… So that combination screamed casserole to me. I had one lone chicken breast in the freezer, so I cooked that up, shredded it and added it the mix along with a little cheese. All in all, it was a nice hot filling meal.

19 Likes

Happy happy! :heart:

1 Like

Leftover bean soup last night, followed by a basic grilled cheese later. No pics.

5 Likes

Hopefully they’ll do the trick & you’ll be up and running for the holidays!

Another stunner! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That looks so good!! Is there a recipe you followed?

2 Likes

Went for the luscious liver mousse again & shared the brisket stew with my PIC, who crashed our ladies night. Another lovely martini with that delightful Isle of St. Harris gin.

16 Likes

Kinda :smiley: It’s my Mom’s recipe that I’ve tweaked a bit over the years, no that it needed it but just to put my spin on it. I’ll try to get the recipe typed out soon.

2 Likes

If you have time that would be awesome. Or if you just took a picture of whatever notes you have I could work from that. Thank you!!

1 Like

A friend of a friend’s mom passed away recently, and several folks are helping out supplying her dad with freezable meals bc he’s never cooked a single thing in his life – not too unusual for the previous generation, I suppose.

Since my friend couldn’t boil eggs if you gave her a manual, she asked if I would be willing to participate, even offering me compensation, which I absolutely refused…. though I did let her buy my first drank last night :wink:

I was going to make a hearty soup with potatoes and kale, and wanted to add some of the homemade smoked venison sausage I was gifted by one of my cooking group members at our recent potluck, but when I cut into it I saw that it was also stuffed with cheese. It is really fantastic & has a nice hit of garlic and a little heat, but the cheese probably doesn’t lend itself to soup.

I’d already run to the store once today to get beef stock I didn’t have in the house, then had to run out again to grab kielbasa to sub for the venison sausage – the things we do for …. the dad of a friend of a friend :crazy_face:

The finished product came together wonderfully and is ready to picked up later this afternoon.

WFD @casa lingua tonight is TBD, depending on how motivated I am to cook again.

21 Likes

That looks absolutely delicious @linguafood - you are a good friend of a friend’s dad!

3 Likes

Had some mascarpone that I didn’t feel like making into anything sweet, so o decided to use it in pasta. Some pork I had ground and frozen got turned into sausage and together with some mushrooms made for this delicious pasta. Love gomiti for this sort of dish, as the sausage gets into the crannies (you ever notice nobody ever seems to use the word “crannies” without “nooks and” attached?)!

23 Likes

Just a suggestion… if he wants to start to try to make his own meals, you can’t go wrong with a slow cooker. Put something in it in the morning (add a little liquid in the bottom) & let it go all day, then eat in the evening.
They also make “slow cooker” liners for easy cleanup.

6 Likes

I don’t know how old the poor man is - I am guessing in his mid-80s. Depending on how spry/with it mentally he is, that might be a solution for the future, but right now I think he may still be overwhelmed with grief & not want to deal with any kind of food prep.

5 Likes

Thank you! It really was NBD - my day gigs slow down significantly this time of year, so at least I did something more useful than fart around on the internet :wink:

Plus I do love to cook - which is what we all have in common here, right?

4 Likes

Dish of the Quarter moms are underway:

3 Likes

Pimiento cheese from the Amá cookbook with chips. IPA for him and Sauvignon Blanc for me! Yay, Friday!

25 Likes

Nice soup!

1 Like