Non-Italian pizza

I went through a pineapple, olive and mushroom pizza phase in my teens. The kosher pizzerias in Toronto make a Hawaiian pizza but I can’t remember what is on it apart from pineapple , mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce.

1 Like

While in Rennes, France, an ex-novia and I were craving pizza, so fortunately we came upon Basilic & Co., a French pizza chain.

Have to say, those were two of the best pizzas I’ve ever tried; I can’t recall the toppings of the one on the left, but the one on the right had four different types of French fromages.

For photo #deux, the espelette pepper oil on the table augmented every bite.

3 Likes

A “Thai” pizza (with eggplant funghetto, mint leaves, and sai oua sausage) at Peppina in Bangkok. Quite fun, for Southeast Asia.

3 Likes

And all the way at the other end of the spectrum, at the first level of hell, we have this specimen coming to us from the Origus buffet of Beijing.

I can’t even conjecture about what the heck it was supposed to be, but I think black beans and durian played their own mischievous roles.

2 Likes

Domino’s Japan, “feeling of autumn,” with four different quarters:
-mushroom/butter soy sauce from Shinetsu region
-fried eggplant and mushroom from Kumamoto
-three types of cheese and cream sauce from Hokkaido
-salmon and cream from the Sanriku region

4 Likes

Thanks to @Phoenikia for posting the link to the apple-bacon pizza. Here’s my take on it:

• Sourdough-spiked crust (Serious Eats Pan Pizza).

• Bechamel with shallots and thyme

• Onions caramelized with more thyme and finished with a glug of Calvados.

• Cheeses included gruyere, mozz and a sharp-white cheddar which we smoked ourselves.

• Honey-crisp for the apple, and store-bought bacon.

This was very, very tasty. If anything, I’d squeeze a tad more apple on it next time just to get a little more acidity, but otherwise, perfect. The smokiness really comes through, and the apple is in perfect contrast with the melty cheese and onions. Will make again.

9 Likes

Looks great!
I hope to return to Foxy in Mtl where I first tried it!! Hopefully this year!

1 Like

Looks really good… and like the idea of the gruyere and honeycrisps. Kinda reminds me of my pineapple/bacon/chicken model, but I use kinda a BBQ sauce instead of a bechamel.

Wondering what would be a sweeter/spicier/more acidic sauce for this pup?

1 Like

The one I ordered was drizzled with maple syrup. Might have had a drizzle of balsamic, can’t remember.

It’s more like a Flammkuechen / Tarte Flambée, in that crème fraiche is between the dough and the apples/ bacon.

https://www.foxy.restaurant/menu

1 Like

Yeah… maybe a maple/vinegar with red pepper flakes, garlic, orange/lemon zest, and a sherry/red wine cornstarch slurry to thicken. Yum!

1 Like

I like the idea of balsamic. We tried the honey/heat combo, and that didn’t seem to do it. I was thinking maybe a few drops of boiled cider, or a squeeze of lemon?

We have half the pizza left for tomorrow breakfast. Will try a few things.

1 Like

A General Tso’s Chicken Pizza we made the other night.

A great way to use up leftovers. Have done the same with Chicken Tikka Masala and similar dishes. Use whatever sauce it comes with as a base, mozzarella, then cut the chicken into sizeable pieces, bake, and then top with fresh scallion (or cilantro if going Indan).

8 Likes

Tasting results: 2 : 1 balsamic vinegar : boiled cider for the win.

Leftover pizza was delicious.

2 Likes

These are the pizza options at a newish restaurant called AnnDining in London, Ontario, where I’ll be ordering pizza tonight.

1 Like

Love the corn, but FO with the ranch on pizza. But I don’t understand peeps who put ranch or blue cheese on their wings, either.

2 Likes

Blue cheese dressing as the accompaniment to wings.
Ranch is for Blue Cheese Wusses.

I dip the accompanying celery and carrots in the blue cheese dressing, not the wings.

2 Likes

Right? The dressing is for the c-e-l-e-r-y.

I prefer blue over ranch as well, and usually make our own bc the very good wings place near us sells terrible blue cheese dressing. Their celery was also nasty the one time we got it on the side, but thankfully we have celery in the house quite often.

3 Likes

I am continually distressed by this obscene trend of corn in places where it should never be.
Cob- great
Creamed -ok
In cornbread - fantastic.
Sprinkled on potatoes and gravy or on “pizza”-should be illegal.

3 Likes

Could not agree more.

2 Likes