What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

This is an Indian paniyaram or appe pan, popular in the south. My mom got it to fake-deep fry pakodas and vadas, and liked it enough that she got me one too. I like that it keeps things round! And, no need to deep fry some things anymore.

I was fascinated when I came across almost-identical aebleskiver and takoyaki pans later; there are differences in depth and dimension of the indentations, but that’s splitting hairs.

I would a long handle, but this one works well enough that I don’t have the heart to replace it.

7 Likes

Our final meal was Cheeseburgers in Paradise har di har. Most of the food trucks weren’t open (HI sure has bizarre meal times), so we grabbed takeout from a joint that was. My cheeseburger with jalapeños was dry, overcooked, and overwhelmed by the ginormous brioche bun it came on. The onion rings were quite good, and my PIC’s grilled cheese-style bacon cheeseburger was actually great.

16 Likes

How big are the holes in your pan? I have one that a friend gave me but the holes are fairly small so I’d end up with more like lion cub head meatballs. Which might be just fine.

Ok - made last night. I guess I’m in the minority. We didn’t like them. We didn’t actively dislike them either. But it won’t be a repeat. Too much shallot for the amt of sprouts, sprouts mostly tasted like boiled cabbage. Sauce was bland, even with the full amount of dijon. Different strokes I guess.

Oh, wow! Sorry to hear that. When I made it, the sprouts browned very nicely and didn’t taste boiled at all.

It was worth a try!

A cheeeeseburger with sautéed mushrooms on a brioche bun. LW hand-cut fries and ketchmeup as the veg. :grin:

Ohhh…there WAS wine for the start of my 11 day “weekend”!

27 Likes

2"?
(Yeah I was not ever going to make ostrich egg sized meatballs.)

1 Like

Compilation of leftovers made for a delicious dinner.

Chicken seekh kabab, pita bread from a long-ago Greek dinner, snow pea leaves I had blanched before they went bad, sauteed tonight with olive oil, garlic, and toum.

Plus toum, labne, and calabrian chile paste.

21 Likes

I made chicken piccata angel hair with lightly dredged sauteed chicken and garden dino kale. Parm Regg grated over. Delicious.

Dessert was honeycrisp apple with caramel.

24 Likes

11 day weekend? Off through Thanksgiving? Well deserved!

6 Likes

That looks delicious! Did you saute the angel hair or just top it with everything?

I boiled it until al dente and finished it in the skillet in which I’d fried the chicken cutlets, kale, shallot, garlic, and some Wondra in butter and deglazed with white vermouth and broth. I then added TJ’s lemon pesto, lots of capers, and chopped parsley and loosened it up with pasta water after stirring through the noodles. Red pepper flake and Parm to finish.

8 Likes

Have to look for this

It’s seriously good!

1 Like

Patty melts. Wagyu beef patties with gruyere, caramelized onions, and a from-scratch 1000 Island dressing. Assembled on freshly baked deli rye, with homemade garden dill pickles on the side.

23 Likes

Spaghet! Had a psto basil to use up.

18 Likes

I can relate to the ‘bizarre’ meal times. I found ‘sun up to sun down’ written as operating hours on many food establishments. Rooster hours, especially on Kauai.

2 Likes

Thursday the 16th through Sunday the 26th! My company gives us the day after T’giving off as well, so it’s a nice long stretch. I’ll log on to clean up emails occasionally so I’m not dealing with that upon my return, but I’m hoping to get lots of little things done at home, as well as buy a new dishwasher and stove/oven (although I doubt they’ll be able to be installed while I’m on vacation). Will see how much I accomplish. :grin:

16 Likes

Chicken and sausage gumbo with Cajun potato salad

24 Likes